Cardinals Cut G Milford Brown....from Jetscentral.com

SoFlaJets

big dude 6'5" 330?

June 6th, 2007 by Gary Grund

The Arizona Cardinals have cut guard Milford Brown. He joins Jeno James as possible options on the free agent market if the Jets decide to cut G Pete Kendall.

Brown, will turn 28 in August, has 24 games in the past two seasons for the Cardinals.

Brown has shown interest from the Miami Dolphins as well.

big dude 6'5" 330?

June 6th, 2007 by Gary Grund

The Arizona Cardinals have cut guard Milford Brown. He joins Jeno James as possible options on the free agent market if the Jets decide to cut G Pete Kendall.

Brown, will turn 28 in August, has 24 games in the past two seasons for the Cardinals.

Brown has shown interest from the Miami Dolphins as well.

Kendall most likely is going to get released, I don't see the Jets keeping him if this contract situation continues to be a disturbance, which it most likely will be, throughout training camp and the preseason.

That being said, we need to bring somebody in here to compete with Adrien Clarke (WHO!?) and Wade Smith, if and when Kendall is released.

I have a friend who is 6'3 345 but it doesn't mean that I want him taking Kendall's place (although he may better than Milford Brown even without having played since his days at East Carolina 10 years ago). It's funny to me how people get so excited over a player's size. I'm not saying that you are this way but a lot of people are. Size means nothing if the guy sucks.

Anyway, I am one of the few who wants Kendall to stay since he is much better than most Jets' fans will give him credit for. He is also better than any alternative they have on the team now until proven otherwise (someone stepping up in camp, etc.). I'd like to see them start thinking about who is going to take his place in the near future (next year and beyond) but I am hoping he is back this year.

I like Pete Kendall and respect what he's done here the last couple of years JetFuel-but seeing him close up on Christmas night down here I could see how his size detracts from the running game-we need a road-grader at LG. Our running attack is going to be THE key to our success this year...

Kendall most likely is going to get released, I don't see the Jets keeping him if this contract situation continues to be a disturbance, which it most likely will be, throughout training camp and the preseason.

That being said, we need to bring somebody in here to compete with Adrien Clarke (WHO!?) and Wade Smith, if and when Kendall is released.

They'll work it out with him. Mangini and kendal have good repor (spell?) together, and kendal is obviously underpaid, something will give, and i don't think it will be his release. I mean, chit, who else do we have?

I don't think they will release him.

If they release him, he wins. That is what he wants. I also don't think they will give him another dime, nor do I think he is under paid.

What message would that send to the other vets on the team who are under contract, and think they are under paid because the cap went up this year and there is more money available.

All you have to do is be disruptive, and you will be rewarded with a raise?

Don't think Tangini is buying into that.

I think they will ignore him. He signed a good contract last year and made over 5 million. If some other fools are willing to pay guards 70 million, so be it.

I think they will take the attitude that he is under contract, if he wants his money, come and play. If not, no money at all.

If they give in to him they will have 20 holdouts next season.

He'll be here this season.

Next season is a different question.

I don't think they will release him.

If they release him, he wins. That is what he wants. I also don't think they will give him another dime, nor do I think he is under paid.

What message would that send to the other vets on the team who are under contract, and think they are under paid because the cap went up this year and there is more money available.

All you have to do is be disruptive, and you will be rewarded with a raise?

Don't think Tangini is buying into that.

I think they will ignore him. He signed a good contract last year and made over 5 million. If some other fools are willing to pay guards 70 million, so be it.

I think they will take the attitude that he is under contract, if he wants his money, come and play. If not, no money at all.

If they give in to him they will have 20 holdouts next season.

He'll be here this season.

Next season is a different question.

EXCELLENT POST FLGREEN!!!

I can't say I totally agree with everything you said but nevertheless this is a great post. I definitely agree with the majority of what you said and your overall message is dead on.

As far as what Kendall makes, it could be a little more if we were to truly assess his market value (He would definitely be in the 2nd tier of Guards in the league). That said, the guy signed a contract that does pay him well and I am not big fan of all these guys asking for more money after they are already under contract. In other words, his market value is meaningless being that he is in the middle of a contract.

I do hope that they keep him around this year because contrary to popular belief he is a big part of the development of this O-Line. Another year of cohesion as a unit and his influence on the young guys (as far as technique and effort go - not complaining about contracts that are already signed) will be good for the long-term growth of this line. It would be nice if they could develop Adrien Clarke or Jacob Bender in the meantime. If those two don't seem to be working out then they need to address the Guard position early in next year's draft. They're going to need a new RT before long too but that discussion is for another day.

If Kendall insists on not playing with his current contract they can always plug Wade Smith in for the time being. He may not be great but he has been a starter in the league and can get the job done for the most part.

There is definitely no way that the team should cave in on his demands. If that means he has to go before the season starts than so be it. I would definitely prefer he stays here for one more year but what is good for the team is for Kendall to honor his contract.

I like Pete Kendall and respect what he's done here the last couple of years JetFuel-but seeing him close up on Christmas night down here I could see how his size detracts from the running game-we need a road-grader at LG. Our running attack is going to be THE key to our success this year...

I respect where you're coming from but I'm not going to buy into the whole size thing

with Kendall. It didn't seem to be a problem when he was opening up holes for Curtis with Adrian Jones on his left. He has never been a huge Guard and has always gotten the job done efficiently. He gets by on his solid technique, effort, and footwork. He is not as weak as a lot of people seem to think either. Could they do better? They could, as could the majority of teams in the league. There are only so many elite Guards to go around.

I agree that the Running Game is a huge part of how far they can go this year as it is for every team, every year. I'll agree that it might be more important to the Jets than some other teams (especially with the debacle they had in the backfield last year). I don't agree that Kendall cannot be a part of a great running game. I would like to see them upgrade and get younger at the position next year but Pete might be our best option for this year. If you want a "road-grader" for this year you are going to have to look beyond Jeno James and Milford Brown.

I would love to keep Kendal, I just hope he hasn't pissed of Mangini too much for him to stay. But, we do need to start to develop that side of the line. That's why I really wanted us to draft Blalock. Don't get me wrong I'm happy with the Revis pick. We needed him with the Pats getting an influx of w.r.'s this off season. But unless Revis is starting and producing, us moving up to get him is a waste. I think Revis will do fine, though.

flgreen, lets remember where Mangini hails from. The Patriots, as we've seen, do not care if they have to let a player go at any point during the off-season / season. The Jets will not be afraid to do the same. If nothing is worked out, he will be given his release or traded for a late round draft pick.

I also read that the Cowboys just released a veteran 3-time pro bowl Guard. I dont know his exact age but he was drafted in 96 but sat his first year as he wasnt made a starter until about midway through his 2nd season. He's had some injury problems in the past but he might be worth a look...

-- Still no sign of LG Pete Kendall, who is skipping the OTAs because he’s unhappy with his contract. Kendall is planning to attend next week’s mandatory minicamp, which should make for an awkward situation. Mangini said he hasn’t talked recently to Kendall. Asked if he expects Kendall at minicamp, Mangini said, “I expect everybody to be there.”

from Rich Cimini's Jet Stream blog

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/

I have a friend who is 6'3 345 but it doesn't mean that I want him taking Kendall's place (although he may better than Milford Brown even without having played since his days at East Carolina 10 years ago). It's funny to me how people get so excited over a player's size. I'm not saying that you are this way but a lot of people are. Size means nothing if the guy sucks.

Anyway, I am one of the few who wants Kendall to stay since he is much better than most Jets' fans will give him credit for. He is also better than any alternative they have on the team now until proven otherwise (someone stepping up in camp, etc.). I'd like to see them start thinking about who is going to take his place in the near future (next year and beyond) but I am hoping he is back this year.

:good: Couldn't agree more !!!

I would hope we aim to upgrade the LG position from Kendall, as his run-blocking was suspect, and his failure to attend a Mangini OTA is borderline mutiny. The team is reportedly pretty high on Clarke (who at 330, is 50 lbs heavier than Pete) and is a mauler.

I'd like to see Faneca swapped for Kendall, though; that'd be a definite upgrade.

Either way, D'Brick is a light LT, he needs to have some weight next to him, and Kendall doesn't bring that. Those two, right next to each other makes for a light left-side.

I would hope we aim to upgrade the LG position from Kendall, as his run-blocking was suspect, and his failure to attend a Mangini OTA is borderline mutiny. The team is reportedly pretty high on Clarke (who at 330, is 50 lbs heavier than Pete) and is a mauler.

I'd like to see Faneca swapped for Kendall, though; that'd be a definite upgrade.

Either way, D'Brick is a light LT, he needs to have some weight next to him, and Kendall doesn't bring that. Those two, right next to each other makes for a light left-side.

Just a reminder: Pete Kendall played next to Adrian Jones a couple of years back on the left side and the running game was fine. Jones is also under 300 Lbs. and not as good as D'Brick should be this year. Also, the Broncos Offensive Line is consistently under 300 lbs. and they have had one of the best rushing attacks over the last number of years. The weight issue can be so unimportant if the guys get the job done. If anything we should be worried about D'Brick trying to stay at 300 this year.

If Adrien Clarke is such a mauler why was he not starting the first three years of his career? In all honesty I hope he turns out to be great but saying that he is a mauler when he has no experience is ridiculous!

If the Jets release Pete Kendall and Adrien Clarke doesn't come in here and have a good season, there is no reason the Jets shouldn't be looking at bringing in Alan Faneca next off-season.

Archived