Gil Brandt 's all under 25 years NFL team- for discussion

faba

Brandt's all under-25 team: offense

By Gil Brandt

NFL.com Senior Analyst

(May 24, 2005) -- Considering the list of NFL veterans who have retired over the past two years, an alarmist might fret over the talent level dipping. After all, future Hall of Famers like Emmitt Smith, Shannon Sharpe, Bruce Smith, Darrell Green and Rod Woodson have all moved on to retirement. Thankfully, that's not the case as there has been an infusion of skilled young players keeping the NFL moving forward.

NFL Network

So who are the players that are the best of the best of the youngsters? Often times I am asked who I think the best players are for the future of the game, and have a hard time naming a few. I have to name a whole team, and even that is pretty difficult. Considering all the great young men that have entered the NFL, it's a daunting task to pick the best of them.

Let's start with the age limit: Anyone born before Jan. 1, 1980 is ineligible (sorry, LaDainian Tomlinson, Drew Brees, Antwaan Randle El and Deion Branch). This ensures that everyone on the team will be 25 years of age or under when the 2005 season starts.

Also, because it's taking so long to decide who makes the team and who doesn't, we're splitting the roster into two parts. The offense will be announced now; the defense will be announced later.

We also discovered a lot of young talent that was either picked on the second day of the draft or went undrafted. We thought we could come up with a team of late-picked or non-picked players under 25 years of age, and we have that list here.

Finally, after making the offensive unit, we realize we left a lot of names out. Guys like Jeremy Shockey, Jason Witten, Todd Heap and Dallas Clark all are young, noteworthy players capable of playing at a high level -- and those are just the tight ends! If a player you'd expect to see didn't make the team, it doesn't mean they're not good. It probably just means I didn't have room for them on the roster.

Here is the 2005 all-under 25 offense:

WR Andre Johnson Houston July 11, 1981

WR Michael Clayton Tampa Bay Oct. 13, 1982

WR Larry Fitzgerald Arizona Aug. 31, 1983

TE Antonio Gates San Diego June 18, 1980

OT Jordan Gross Carolina July 20, 1980

OT Kevin Shaffer Atlanta March 2, 1980

OG Travelle Wharton Carolina May 19, 1981

OG Montrae Holland New Orleans May 21, 1980

C Nick Hardwick San Diego Sept. 2, 1981

QB Michael Vick Atlanta June 26, 1980

RB Kevin Jones Detroit Aug. 21, 1982

FB B.J. Askew N.Y. Jets Aug. 19, 1980

LS Don Muhlbach Detroit Aug. 17, 1981

KR Terrence McGee Buffalo Oct. 14, 1980

PR Eddie Drummond Detroit April 12, 1980

Extra points

we will never know about BJ ASKEW unless HERM stands up and demands that he gets to play just like he didn't do for JORDAN, GOODWIN, BAKER, HARPER,BOLLINGER, etc! It is about time our kids get a real shot at making this team work better. Why keep wasting draft picks by not allowing them top play for us. [-X

BJ Askew...a 3rd rounder...a bust? Please. Given a chance to start, which he hasn't yet and he'd be better then Jerald Sowell. He can run, he can catch and I hope Sowell is cut or traded so we can see him finally play some valuable minutes.

But, I wouldn't take Kevin Jones, Julius Jones would be my man at RB.

Also, the WR-TE-QB core is AMAZING.

Vick, Larry Fitz, Gates, Clayton and Andre...insane offense.

Can't argue with most of that list, unless Willis McGahee is still under 25, then I might have him up there over the Joneses at RB.

I like the pick of Askew. What other under 25 FB has the ability he showed in college? If it werent for Sowell, I believe he'd be starting this year. He started to come on last season towards the end.

Archived