NFL Europe

Blackout

Yip

NFL Europa to cease operations

The NFL folded its development league in Europe, calling the decision a sound business move that will allow for a stronger international focus on regular-season games outside the United States.

The announcement came less than a week after the Hamburg Sea Devils beat the Frankfurt Galaxy 37-28 in the World Bowl title game in Frankfurt before a crowd of 48,125. Five of the league's six teams are based in Germany, with the other in Amsterdam, Netherlands.

A statement on the German-language edition of the NFL's Web site said the NFL decided to concentrate its "strategies and resources" on regular-season games outside the United States in an effort to reach as many people as possible.

"We thank our fans for the great support in the past years," NFL commissioner Roger Goodell was quoted as saying.

Goodell said it was time to develop a new international strategy, terming the move to fold NFL Europa the "best business decision." The league reportedly was losing about $30 million a season.

"From now on we will focus on regular-season games and use new technologies to make NFL more popular worldwide," he said.

NFL team owners decided in October to play up to two regular-season games outside the United States. The first such game will be Oct. 28 in London between the Miami Dolphins and the New York Giants.

The league began in 1991 as the World League of American Football, with 10 teams from the United States and Europe. After closing for two seasons in 1993 and 1994, the league returned with six European teams and retained the same format until the end.

The league was used by NFL teams to test young talent and produced players such as quarterback Kurt Warner, who led the St. Louis Rams to the Super Bowl XXXIV title and won two NFL Most Valuable Player awards; Carolina Panthers quarterback Jake Delhomme; and star Indianapolis Colts kicker Adam Vinatieri.

NFL Europa managing director Uwe Bergheim said the league had succeeded in establishing a fan base for football in important European markets.

"Despite the great support of fans, business partners and the cities where we were active, we decided that it was time to change the strategy," Bergheim said.

The "developmental" league is the NCAA:....Ohio St, Michigan, FLA St, Miami, Clemson, Texas, LSU, Etc. I suspect the NFL Europe was 1) to promote the game in Europe and 2) to develop players - In that order.

The "developmental" league is the NCAA:....Ohio St, Michigan, FLA St, Miami, Clemson, Texas, LSU, Etc. I suspect the NFL Europe was 1) to promote the game in Europe and 2) to develop players - In that order.

Nope, the ncaa is the feeder system, very different. A player comes out of college, gets signed and reports to minicamp. The team likes him, and thinks he has potential, but he is just not ready for prime time. Due to injuries or depth, they can't keep him around because teams have limits on size, so he goes to nfl europe where he can get game experience and grow. He can NOT go back to the ncaa to DEVELOP. I would think as a pats fan you would understand this, after all, some of those shiny superbowl rings are due to an nfl europa product, Vinatarie did a stint there. Plain and simple, if a guy has promise but needs to develop, or is a little immature for the pro game, he has nowhere to go if not for nfl europa. Sitting in a gym 24/7 will make him big and strong but not work to improve his game. Even sitting on the practice squad won't get you better.

You would think with all the money coming in from tv, cable contracts that they could afford to take a little loss on this venture to help develop players.

It was around 3 million a team that the nfl was making them put up. Seems to be short sighted to me.

Nope, the ncaa is the feeder system, very different. A player comes out of college, gets signed and reports to minicamp. The team likes him, and thinks he has potential, but he is just not ready for prime time. Due to injuries or depth, they can't keep him around because teams have limits on size, so he goes to nfl europe where he can get game experience and grow. He can NOT go back to the ncaa to DEVELOP. I would think as a pats fan you would understand this, after all, some of those shiny superbowl rings are due to an nfl europa product, Vinatarie did a stint there. Plain and simple, if a guy has promise but needs to develop, or is a little immature for the pro game, he has nowhere to go if not for nfl europa. Sitting in a gym 24/7 will make him big and strong but not work to improve his game. Even sitting on the practice squad won't get you better.

I disagree completely......far more players actually earn a "real" roster spot via the Practice Squad than NFL Europe....and yes, I know all about Adam. NFL Europe - is is substantially better than the Arena Footballl League, for example? There is such a limited amount of elite, NFL caliber players - is NFL Europe REALLY necessary as a "developmental" league? Let's not forget about the great white north's version of the NFL - and it budding players hoping and praying to make the NFL someday. That's where Dougie "Dirt-bag" Flutie spent much of his career growing the myth that he WAS some football superstar.

Archived