Lions Salary Cap tied up in SIXTEEN WRs

Mavrik

Report: Lions' salary cap tied up with 16 receivers

July 8, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Pat Kirwan of NFL.com recently examined the amount of money that teams are paying to players no longer on the roster. And the Lions are one of seven organizations over the dreaded $10-million mark in that category.

As you'd imagine, the receiver position is causing the biggest headache. The Lions have 16 wideouts on the payroll for 2007, including long-gone Mike Williams, Charles Rogers and Corey Bradford, who will eat up $10.2 million of the Lions' $109-million cap. Whenever rookie Calvin Johnson signs, the Lions will have close to $28 million spent on wide receivers alone.

Report: Lions' salary cap tied up with 16 receivers

July 8, 2007

FREE PRESS NEWS SERVICES

Pat Kirwan of NFL.com recently examined the amount of money that teams are paying to players no longer on the roster. And the Lions are one of seven organizations over the dreaded $10-million mark in that category.

As you'd imagine, the receiver position is causing the biggest headache. The Lions have 16 wideouts on the payroll for 2007, including long-gone Mike Williams, Charles Rogers and Corey Bradford, who will eat up $10.2 million of the Lions' $109-million cap. Whenever rookie Calvin Johnson signs, the Lions will have close to $28 million spent on wide receivers alone.

And Matt Millen still has a job, what does this guy have to do to get fired....run over Bill Ford with a Camaro?

And Matt Millen still has a job, what does this guy have to do to get fired....run over Bill Ford with a Camaro?

William Clay Ford doesn't care what Millen does with the team. As long as you've got fans dumb enough to continue to get season tix and go to games, then he's making money and that's all he cares about.

Matt Millen has to be the worst GM ever.

That's an absured statement. You can't make a claim like that, of course there were far worse GM's out there...i've just never heard of them.

you know, on second thought, you are probably right.

I retract my first statement and side with the ghost.

That's an absurd statement. You can't make a claim like that, of course there were far worse GM's out there...I've just never heard of them.

you know, on second thought, you are probably right.

I retract my first statement and side with the ghost.

I'm trying to sound conceited, but I am right. He's horribile, and that's where it ends.

I could sort of understand Millen's logic. Great, playmaking wide receivers are very valuable in the NFL. Guys like Terrell Owens, Marvin Harrison, Steve Smith and Torry Holt can open up the offense for you and make your QB look good.

Problem is Millen went way overboard with this concept and neglected the rest of the positions on the team while picking busts like Rogers and Mike Williams. It didn't help that Joey Harrington turned out to be a bust either. When was the last time Detroit had a good quarterback?

Archived