Samuel and Pat talks going to the deadline

faba

By Karen Guregian

Boston Herald General Sports Reporter and Columnist

Monday, July 16, 2007 - Updated: 03:47 AM EST

The final piece of what the Patriots [team stats] hope is a championship puzzle could be in place at some point today.

Alonzo Shavers, the agent for free agent cornerback Asante Samuel [stats], indicated that the two sides continue to talk with the hope of hammering out a long-term deal before today

By Karen Guregian

The final piece of what the Patriots [team stats] hope is a championship puzzle could be in place at some point today.

Alonzo Shavers, the agent for free agent cornerback Asante Samuel [stats], indicated that the two sides continue to talk with the hope of hammering out a long-term deal before today

At this point I'm just wondering if he'll play for the entire, guaranteed 7.7 million he will make this year (approx a 7 million dollar pay raise) as a Franchise Player or wait it out 'till game ten, where BB will most assuredly tell him to take a seat.

By Karen Guregian

I have a hard time beliving he would sit out until week 10 and give up nearly 5 million of that 7.7 I think the most likely situation is he plays for the one year tag. I know the Patriots won't fold and give him crazy $$$, so it really comes down to him, and anyone that has a tatto that says "Get Paid", isn't the sharpest tool in the shed. ;)

I don't think it's a matter of being "sharp" - it's a matter of arrogance. I like my CB's to have swagger and over-confidence, but I just can't get over giving up 7 million, or not being happy with 7 million. He made just over 700,000 last year. What? A 7 million dollar raise isn't good enough for you? I understand wanting some long-term security, but this is the NFL. Long term security?

I don't think it's a matter of being "sharp" - it's a matter of arrogance. I like my CB's to have swagger and over-confidence, but I just can't get over giving up 7 million, or not being happy with 7 million. He made just over 700,000 last year. What? A 7 million dollar raise isn't good enough for you? I understand wanting some long-term security, but this is the NFL. Long term security?

in my world $7 mill in the bank equals a lifetime of security.

It is a matter of principle

He is worth as much as Clements.... Plays for $7m and tears a knee .. he is done....

Gets his payday and $20m in bank, then he can buy a real dog from Vick;)

This franchise tag just seems to be the biggest PITA. If you start to see players really hold out and sit until week 10, it will have a domino effect on the rest of the players.

I am not so educated on this guy and his attitude, is there something the pats want him to prove as far as durability like the Jets wanted out of Abraham before giving him the long term deal?

I think the holdout talk is basically posturing to make sure the pats put a clause in the contract that he can't be franchised again. That's usually what they are looking for. Clements got that in his deal for '06.

I think that is fair, no player really should be franchised 2 years in a row, unless he had serious injuries and durability issues.

The skinny:

The Patriots put a value on a player and do not budge. Asante is looking for guaranteed, up-front money on a long-term deal. Asante has a tattoo on his right shoulder that says, "GET PAID." Pats have franchised him - guaranteeing him 7.something mil. Asante needs to feed his family - apparently 7 plus million doesn't buy much milk and bread these days.

My take:

The "Patriots way" has worked for several years now. If they break away from their value system - and give Asante what he wants - that domino effect will have a far more detrimental effect to the team than Asante sitting on his couch at home for 10 games and pissing away 5 million of that guaranteed 7. Kind of makes a mockery of that stupid "GET PAID" tatt, now doesn't it?

Plus, let's say Samuel gets tagged next year too. Let's say the guanteed money either stays the same, or more likely, goes up by a million. He's guaranteed 14-15-16 million dollars? !

I just can't muster any sympathy for this guy.

It is a matter of principle

He is worth as much as Clements.... Plays for $7m and tears a knee .. he is done....

Gets his payday and $20m in bank, then he can buy a real dog from Vick;)

You have no clue if you think Samuel is worth what Clement got, Clement is not worth what Clement got (70 million over 6 years).:eek: Samuel has had only one outstanding season out of 5, every year before last season he was a question mark from game to game and playt to play. Maybe Jet fans forget the Samuel of 05, being burned for TD's every other play, but Pats fans don't, and I sure bet the Pats F.O. dosen't either. Look Samuel is a nice player, but he's not Champ Baily.

Patriots | Team not expected to reach long-term deal with Samuel

Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:26:33 -0700

Updating previous items, Mike Reiss, of the Boston Globe, reports barring an unexpected turn, the New England Patriots will not reach a long-term contract agreement with franchise player CB Asante Samuel prior to the deadline to sign franchise players Monday, July 16. The team has not increased their most recent offer, according to a source directly involved in negotiations.

You have no clue if you think Samuel is worth what Clement got, Clement is not worth what Clement got (70 million over 6 years).:eek: Samuel has had only one outstanding season out of 5, every year before last season he was a question mark from game to game and playt to play. Maybe Jet fans forget the Samuel of 05, being burned for TD's every other play, but Pats fans don't, and I sure bet the Pats F.O. dosen't either. Look Samuel is a nice player, but he's not Champ Baily.

and what has Clements brought to the table............?

drink another root beer!!!!!!

Garb- pats model is kaput, if they still felt old model worked, they would not have gone after A thomas

and what has Clements brought to the table............?

drink another root beer!!!!!!

Garb- pats model is kaput, if they still felt old model worked, they would not have gone after A thomas

Yadda, yadda yadda...that's what you said after they got Harrison, then Colvin, then Dillon.......:yawn:

Archived