my worst nightmare

haggis

How do you save something that has never been alive?

Exactly. I was stating the quote that so many sports pundits keep saying. Pro soccer is not going to happen in the US. Youth soccer, is alive and very well without Beckham's help.

Exactly. I was stating the quote that so many sports pundits keep saying. Pro soccer is not going to happen in the US. Youth soccer, is alive and very well without Beckham's help.

Soccer will never be real big in the US no matter what they would try- it is a participatory sport for those that want to play-not a watchable sport- for me anyway.

I love watching soccer but the truth of the matter is there is never going to be a huge following for Major League Soccer in the U.S. Americans who do like soccer and follow it do so because they have Fox Soccer Channel or Goltv and follow European Soccer, usually English Premier League. Nobody who is an American and watches Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, or hell, West Ham is going to stop watching them and start watching soccer that they know isn't as good. EPL, La Liga, and other Euro leagues have done a good job of gaining interest and fans among American soccer fans.

I love watching soccer but the truth of the matter is there is never going to be a huge following for Major League Soccer in the U.S. Americans who do like soccer and follow it do so because they have Fox Soccer Channel or Goltv and follow European Soccer, usually English Premier League. Nobody who is an American and watches Manchester United, Chelsea, Liverpool, or hell, West Ham is going to stop watching them and start watching soccer that they know isn't as good. EPL, La Liga, and other Euro leagues have done a good job of gaining interest and fans among American soccer fans.

That's very true but I don't think MLS is trying to be a power on the US sports scene.

They have done a good job of building up the infrastructure with 20-25K capacity boutique Stadiums and securing TV coverage.

They have a good business model and aren't going way anytime soon but they will never compete with the NFL, NBA & MLB when it comes to popularity.

With the way the NHL is going, and I love Hockey, MLS may become the 4th pro sport. MLS has a better TV deal than the NHL. That is a sad state of affairs for Hockey in this Country.

You guys must all be youngsters. Back in the late 70's the New York Cosmos were huge. The NASL was pretty popular. Pele, Shep Messing, Georgio Chinaglia, these guys were true stars and played in the league.

That was a fun time.

You guys must all be youngsters. Back in the late 70's the New York Cosmos were huge. The NASL was pretty popular. Pele, Shep Messing, Georgio Chinaglia, these guys were true stars and played in the league.

That was a fun time.

The Cosmos bought every player they could and the league folded pretty quickly after that as none of the other teams could match their payroll.

MLS is much different.

Archived