ESPN declines to pick mup NHL contract

Bugg

Scratch that revenue stream and forget that nationwide exposure. Way to go Gary! Cost certainty indeed! The biggest sports network in the USA would rather broadcast poker, dog shows, spelling bees, womens' college hoops and bowling than your sport.

Hey-but at least the great markets of Columbus, Nashville, Phoenix, Anaheim still have hockey teams to ignore,at least at some point in the future when you get you hiney out of your head.

This is no surprise at all- no way ESPN was going to pick up the current option. The best NHL can hope for is to work out some type of lesser deal to get on the air- that is of course assuming they ever settle the lockout

IF the NHL does come back, they should get together with ABC for the entire season, with MONDAY NIGHT GAMES, which can help replace Monday Night Football. Even though, yes, many will watch MNF, at least they'll have a station for the people who like the NHL more or the NFL fans that just don't give a sh*t about a late November Dolphins / Bucs show down.

NHL can only fantasize about Monday Night on a free TV....ABC canned the NFL because of dwindling ratings...but the worst MNF ratings (about 9 shares) would be cause for celebration by the NHL.

Big winner in this is college baseball, which has picked up the slack for the NHL on ESPN.

I'd venture to guess the NHL will have to look at something like Foxsports net or Spike TV for a national outlet.

Bettman thought he was so damn comical, breaking the players backs....but he didn't realize the collateral damage he did to the sport itself.

In my opinion, Bettman must step down (Goodnow too) before the first puck is dropped again--at some point.

As a (former) Whalers fan, I'd love to hold door for Bettman, as he leaves...who knows, maybe I'd stick my leg out at send the fool flying. :lol:

NHL can only fantasize about Monday Night on a free TV....ABC canned the NFL because of dwindling ratings...but the worst MNF ratings (about 9 shares) would be cause for celebration by the NHL.

Big winner in this is college baseball, which has picked up the slack for the NHL on ESPN.

I'd venture to guess the NHL will have to look at something like Foxsports net or Spike TV for a national outlet.

Bettman thought he was so damn comical, breaking the players backs....but he didn't realize the collateral damage he did to the sport itself.

In my opinion, Bettman must step down (Goodnow too) before the first puck is dropped again--at some point.

As a (former) Whalers fan, I'd love to hold door for Bettman, as he leaves...who knows, maybe I'd stick my leg out at send the fool flying. :lol:

Good Post. Agreed.

In a nutshell. There's no market for this sport on tv. And the few fans they had are pissed and have found other things to do with their time after a season of no NHL.

The NHL ratings were miniscule on ESPN- they are doing much better withe programming that replaced it.

The best the NHL can hope for is to try to work out a licensing deal where they get percentage of advertising revenues. ESPN has mo reason to sweeten any type of deal for the NHL

• 2 weeks later...

Archived