Meriweather close

Gainzo

By Christopher L. Gasper, Globe Staff

Patriots first round pick Brandon Meriweather was not present this morning for the team's first training camp session, but a source close to the defensive back said Meriweather and the Patriots are just finishing up the final details of an agreement.

The sides are close enough that the rookie could be on the field for the second of the day's practice sessions, which begins at 5:30 p.m.

"There is no threat of a holdout," said the source. "The deal is done. They're just ironing out some minute details. He could be at practice this afternoon."

"He wants to play football and we want him to play football."

The source said that Meriweather's negotiations have not been held up by those of Cleveland Browns draft pick Brady Quinn.

The Notre Dame quarterback, who was expected to go in the top 10, slipped all the way to No. 22, two spots ahead of Meriweather, who was selected No. 24 overall.

"None at all. Brady felt he was a top 10 pick. Brady is Brady and Brandon is Brandon. He is not basing anything on what [Quinn] is doing."

The Patriots haven't had a first round pick holdout since Benjamin Watson in 2004. According to the source, Meriweather's agent, Joby Branion of Athletes First, is working diligently with the Patriots to keep it that way.

"There is no tension on either side. The relationship is good. [Meriweather] will be there."

Apparently, according to The Boston Globe, he already has been signed today.

The above article is from the Globe. I'll know for sure once I watch the news tonight. There were over 6,000 people at Training Camp this morning. That's crazy!

The above article is from the Globe. I'll know for sure once I watch the news tonight. There were over 6,000 people at Training Camp this morning. That's crazy!

:pats:

think about it gainzo. come to the good side.

::GoJets:

:pats:

think about it gainzo. come to the good side.

::GoJets:

As much as I like 98% of Jets fans I could never switch my allegiance from the Pats. As much as I love visiting NYC I could never support a team that has New York as part of their name!

As much as I like 98% of Jets fans I could never switch my allegiance from the Pats. As much as I love visiting NYC I could never support a team that has New York as part of their name!

and that's the way it SHOULD be G...you wouldn't believe how many people down here who came from up north are now Dolphins fans-it's inconceivable to me-just another reason to hate the Fins and their crappy fan base

and that's the way it SHOULD be G...you wouldn't believe how many people down here who came from up north are now Dolphins fans-it's inconceivable to me-just another reason to hate the Fins and their crappy fan base

Thats just sad. I can understand kids being undecided on teams but when adults change who they follow it makes me sick.

I have lived in the Boston area since 1986 (moving here from halfway around the world) and follow the local sports teams.

If I moved to Chicago or Raleigh or Atlanta I would never think of supporting the local teams.

I would probably have a passing interest on how the teams are doing but thats about it.

Dolphins "fans" suck!

my dad's side of the fam is from the Bronx, and one of his brothers moved to Chicago in the early 90's....that bastard became a bulls fan. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!??!?!? you don't grow up on the knicks, move to chicago and jump ship, just when the knicks were getting good.

i could never understand that. Even as a kid i was apauled.

my dad's side of the fam is from the Bronx, and one of his brothers moved to Chicago in the early 90's....that bastard became a bulls fan. ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING ME!!??!?!? you don't grow up on the knicks, move to chicago and jump ship, just when the knicks were getting good.

Disown your Uncle if you haven't done so already!

can't do it either md-I grew up a Yankees, Jets, and Knicks fan and if I ever start watching basketball again will STILL be a Knicks fan and will ALWAYS have green blood with pinstriped skin

can't do it either md-I grew up a Yankees, Jets, and Knicks fan and if I ever start watching basketball again will STILL be a Knicks fan and will ALWAYS have green blood with pinstriped skin

You sound like a Rabid Jets Fan SoFla !!!!;)

Archived