10 unheralded players

NY Jets Guy

One of the things I keep an eye out for each preseason is unheralded players with good metrics from the previous season. These players often build on their performance and develop into starters or top backups, but that usually requires a strong preseason showing.

With that in mind, here are 10 players who fit this mold:

1. CB Phillip Buchanon, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Buchanon didn't live up to his hype in either Oakland or Houston, but he sure stepped up when he was called on late last year. Buchanon allowed a stellar 5.9 YPA on the 29 passes thrown his way, and three of those passes were intercepted. If Buchanon can play that well in August, it is possible he could give Brian Kelly a run for his starting cornerback spot.

Aug. 1 GlossaryYPA (Yards Per Attempt): A quick barometer of a quarterback/wide receiver/tight end's efficiency.

Success Percentage: The percentage of plays a player does something successful with the ball. Successful plays include completions (for offensive players), incompletions (for defensive players) and penalty plays that go in the player's favor.

Depth level: A measurement of how far downfield a receiver was on a pass attempt. It is measured from the point at which the receiver touched the ball. Short passes are 1-10 yards downfield, medium 11-19, deep 20-29 and bombs are 30 and more yards downfield.

I agree on McCairens as well. When we traded for him I think we all wanted a #1 but he is really more of a #2 with some deep threat. With the emergence of Cotchery, he is very valuable in that role, and with Brad, Chansi we have a VERY solid receiving corps.

I agree on McCairens as well. When we traded for him I think we all wanted a #1 but he is really more of a #2 with some deep threat. With the emergence of Cotchery, he is very valuable in that role, and with Brad, Chansi we have a VERY solid receiving corps.

Agree on all counts

Archived