PNC Arts Center cracking down-Ozzfest

faba

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/17/07

HOLMDEL, N.J. (AP) -- Authorities on Friday said they were banning alcohol in the parking lot of PNC Bank Arts Center following the arrests of more than 80 people Thursday night at an Ozzfest concert.

"The nature of the shows attract an extraordinary young audience and alcohol has been a problem throughout the season,'' said Joe Orlando, a spokesman for the Turnpike Authority, which owns the arts center.

"We've tried to deal with it by enforcing the law, and people have thumbed their nose at it,'' he said. "So we're taking the only action we can.''

More than 80 people were arrested at the Ozzfest concert before 9 p.m. Thursday. Most were charged with underage drinking, while others were deemed unruly in the mosh pit.

State Police also said there were two suspicious deaths there Thursday night, possibly involving drugs.

Concertgoers were charged with assault if they were flailing arms or legs in a way that would hurt others.

Authorities launched a crackdown on drinking after the season's first show in May because 13 young patrons had to be taken to hospitals with alcohol-related illnesses. The youngest was 11 years old.

More than 90 patrons were arrested at the O.A.R concert on Saturday and 54 people were arrest at the Incubus show last Friday

Posted by the Asbury Park Press on 08/17/07

HOLMDEL, N.J. (AP) -- Authorities on Friday said they were banning alcohol in the parking lot of PNC Bank Arts Center following the arrests of more than 80 people Thursday night at an Ozzfest concert.

"The nature of the shows attract an extraordinary young audience and alcohol has been a problem throughout the season,'' said Joe Orlando, a spokesman for the Turnpike Authority, which owns the arts center.

"We've tried to deal with it by enforcing the law, and people have thumbed their nose at it,'' he said. "So we're taking the only action we can.''

More than 80 people were arrested at the Ozzfest concert before 9 p.m. Thursday. Most were charged with underage drinking, while others were deemed unruly in the mosh pit.

State Police also said there were two suspicious deaths there Thursday night, possibly involving drugs.

Concertgoers were charged with assault if they were flailing arms or legs in a way that would hurt others.

Authorities launched a crackdown on drinking after the season's first show in May because 13 young patrons had to be taken to hospitals with alcohol-related illnesses. The youngest was 11 years old.

More than 90 patrons were arrested at the O.A.R concert on Saturday and 54 people were arrest at the Incubus show last Friday

I was there yesterday, took my 13 year old brother to his first concert ever. He is really into rock music now that he is playing electric bass. Anyway, i saw tons of cops and narcs arresting people in the lot. But for the most part it was pretty tame in the stadium and the lot, didn't really see any overly drunk people all day. When you went in, you needed a band to get served, they gave out two bands, one that entitled you to purchase 3 beers before 6pm, another to purchase 3 beers after 6pm. Every time you bought one the vendor would write on your band. The stupid thing is i guess you could rip the band off and just get another. It looked like most of the underage crowd was kids that really had no money so i doubt they would be much of a problem buying the extremely overpriced beer inside. All the vendors were saying the gwen stephani concert last week was a total mess with tons of drunks getting in fights, it was the worst concert ever, and the reason for this alcohol crackdown. I think cops were actually hit.

As for the mosh pit kids getting arrested, i assume the story is referring to pits set up in the lot because there were no cops breaking them up inside. I think arresting a kid in a mosh pit for assault is pretty lame. Mosh pits don't just break out and trap people who don't want to be in them, and it is the way these kids dance, and it is much more organized then people think by just looking at it.

A few ruin it for the masses. This is BS. Granted, I haven't been to a concert at PNC in a few years, but the tailgaiting there was pretty decent. Now no alcohol?

Damn, I wanted to see Dream Theater next month. :wild:

I can't imagine a Dream Theater crowd causing trouble. Maybe a few tuts of disapproval but nothing stronger.

And unruly in the moshpit? I suppose if it's those hardcore idiots doing that lame "look at me! my arms are like a windmill!" crap, but pits have always been able to sort them out.

I can't imagine a Dream Theater crowd causing trouble. Maybe a few tuts of disapproval but nothing stronger.

And unruly in the moshpit? I suppose if it's those hardcore idiots doing that lame "look at me! my arms are like a windmill!" crap, but pits have always been able to sort them out.

Well, it could be Yanni and Michael Buble and still no alcohol in the parking lot. And you know those fans really like to party it up with their cheese platters and wine samplings. ;)

True the pit usually works itself out. I went to see Gwar at the 930 Club in DC. There was a small pit going on. I wasn't part of it. Actually I was a good 15 feet from it. I am a pretty big guy and there were 2 or 3 guys that kept running into me. The first couple of times I thought it was a mistake, a stumble. Then I caught one out of the corner of my eye and watched him run towards me and slam into me. I grabbed him and asked him not to do that. Then another one of the three did it again. This guy had a spike bracelet on and hit me in the side of my head with it. I told him that next time one of them hits me I'll deck him. I saw one of them come around he ran at me and I put my forearm right to his jaw and flattened him. His buddy came at me I flattened him with my forearm as well. The third guy challenged me. I laughed at him. They went to club security. The guy told them he saw the whole thing and I was defending myself. Problem solved. They left. Jacka$$es.

True the pit usually works itself out. I went to see Gwar at the 930 Club in DC. There was a small pit going on. I wasn't part of it. Actually I was a good 15 feet from it. I am a pretty big guy and there were 2 or 3 guys that kept running into me. The first couple of times I thought it was a mistake, a stumble. Then I caught one out of the corner of my eye and watched him run towards me and slam into me. I grabbed him and asked him not to do that. Then another one of the three did it again. This guy had a spike bracelet on and hit me in the side of my head with it. I told him that next time one of them hits me I'll deck him. I saw one of them come around he ran at me and I put my forearm right to his jaw and flattened him. His buddy came at me I flattened him with my forearm as well. The third guy challenged me. I laughed at him. They went to club security. The guy told them he saw the whole thing and I was defending myself. Problem solved. They left. Jacka$$es.

I stay away from the mosh pit. Always have, always will.

Yeah, i can honestly say, the pits were truly organized chaos. There really were no bozo's, everyone seemed to know what the deal was, and if you weren't in the pit you were in no danger of getting hit at all. Hatebreed had the best pit going, and at one point they instructed the group to start a circle pit around the audio tent that was about 100 feet in front of the stage, and told anyone not wanting in on it to get away. It was pretty crazy. I was gonna jump in but thought about having to explain to mom why i lost my little brother because i had to mosh.

Yeah, i can honestly say, the pits were truly organized chaos. There really were no bozo's, everyone seemed to know what the deal was, and if you weren't in the pit you were in no danger of getting hit at all. Hatebreed had the best pit going, and at one point they instructed the group to start a circle pit around the audio tent that was about 100 feet in front of the stage, and told anyone not wanting in on it to get away. It was pretty crazy. I was gonna jump in but thought about having to explain to mom why i lost my little brother because i had to mosh.

I would be more embarassed to say that I was moshing to Hatebreed. :P

Yeah, I usually get into a fight with a drunken jackass who likes to run into the people not in the mosh, it's also some random fat guy too, I guess skinny guys don't like jumping on random people.

A few ruin it for the masses. This is BS. Granted, I haven't been to a concert at PNC in a few years, but the tailgaiting there was pretty decent. Now no alcohol?

Damn, I wanted to see Dream Theater next month. :wild:

Well, it could be Yanni and Michael Buble and still no alcohol in the parking lot. And you know those fans really like to party it up with their cheese platters and wine samplings. ;)

Dream Theater? Yanni? Michael Buble? & Fabolous?

You are one well rounded music lover.

Archived