Where's My Thread ecurb?

Gibbon

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we wait and see if he even passes a physical first?

That's pretty weak. Guys who arent physically fit to play dont play in games -- even preseason games.

And, I'm not sure that was part of the bet.

But, if you admit to being a pathetic weasel who is trying everything he can to keep from paying off a bet, I'll give you till he passes the physical.

So Gibbon, you're basing Schlegel's release because the Jets' Linebackers coach is from Michigan? Thats just sad. If the guy could play in the 34, Mangini would've kept him.

How the hell would Mangini know if he could play LB in the NFL since he never played him at LB in an NFL game along side NFL caliber players?

His assumption that Schlegel was the 5th best ILB on the team was the result of opinions formed in practice. Do you honestly think that Mangini watches all the LB workouts and determines the pecking order among LBs without input from the LB coach? Have you noticed that 3 of the Jets 8 LBs come from Michigan?

I'm not saying that it is the only factor or even one of the most important factors, but I dont think it helped that Schlegel was from Ohio State. But while I'm at it how would you evaluate the Jets LB play last season and this preseason. If as everyone is right in stating LB is the position with the greatest quality depth, why has the LB play been so dissapointing?

Schlegel's pink slip was signed as soon as the Jets were able to move up to get David Harris. The Jets clearly feel that he is the one of the ILB's of the future. Now let me ask you this? Whose the other one?

Barton? too old

Vilma? too small too be really effective at the position. He will be looking to renegotiate for big money next season or to get out. Do you think the Jets will pay top dollar for a guy who isnt physically capable of being an effective run stopper.

Kassell? This is year two of his two year contract do you think he is the answer long term next to Harris?

The Jets have put themselves in the position of having to draft yet another ILB in next years draft or to live with, and pay, Vilma and his nearly impossible struggle to get off blocks.

If the Jets had kept Schlegel and continued to develop him they would at the very least have had a veteran, who understood the system, and who could be effective against the run for the next three years. What will they have thats guaranteed to be better than that after this season?

If the guy could play in the 34, Mangini would've kept him.

Absolutely.

If anything, the staff gave him more opportunities -not less- in an effort to justify something that looked like a bad pick the moment it was announced. I'm glad the Jets cut bait. Bradwards would've kept him around another couple years, easy, just to keep from looking bad.

And if Schlegel can't play the 3-4, I don't know where he fits in the NFL. He's simply not quick enough to be a sideline-to-sideline type MLB. The 3-4 was his best hope.

this has to be a joke thread,,mangini wont play best players or have that he hjas coaches on his staff that arent playing best players because of where the players learned to drink beer..

here is atip,,schlegel sucks.

Exactly. Mangini is going to play whoever the best player is, and if you're not good enough to make the team, you're noot good enough to make the team. Schlegel is practice squad material.

He has watched him play in practice and in preseason games. I will trust Mangini when he releases someone and says that they cannot play. The Jets having a couple of Michigan linebackers does not mean anything as to Anthony Schlegel. You are very, very foolish to think that him attending Ohio State had anything to do with his release. If thats the case, I guess Mangini is looking for the first trade offer he gets for Nick Mangold and Mike Nugent.

He has watched him play in practice and in preseason games. I will trust Mangini when he releases someone and says that they cannot play. The Jets having a couple of Michigan linebackers does not mean anything as to Anthony Schlegel. You are very, very foolish to think that him attending Ohio State had anything to do with his release. If thats the case, I guess Mangini is looking for the first trade offer he gets for Nick Mangold and Mike Nugent.

potw nominee

Hmmm . . . is the offensive line coach from Michigan?

Did you not read where I said that it wasnt the biggest reason or even probably one of the biggest reasons, but that I didnt think it helped?

Read all of my posts and try to understand them before you start putting words in my mouth.

Absolutely.

If anything, the staff gave him more opportunities -not less- in an effort to justify something that looked like a bad pick the moment it was announced. I'm glad the Jets cut bait. Bradwards would've kept him around another couple years, easy, just to keep from looking bad.

And if Schlegel can't play the 3-4, I don't know where he fits in the NFL. He's simply not quick enough to be a sideline-to-sideline type MLB. The 3-4 was his best hope.

Well slats, perhaps you would want to run down for me every play that Schlegel got with the first or second string in a game situation?

As for you not understanding where he fits in the NFL, apparantly Marvin Lewis thinks he might fit in a 4-3, so I'm not sure how much weight your opinion really carries.

Hmmm . . . is the offensive line coach from Michigan?

Did you not read where I said that it wasnt the biggest reason or even probably one of the biggest reasons, but that I didnt think it helped?

Read all of my posts and try to understand them before you start putting words in my mouth.

Whether or not the Linebackers coach went to Michigan means NOTHING. You are an absolute fool to think a Linebackers coach's alma mater has any bearing on who is selected. David Harris was selected because he has experience of excelling in the 34 defense and has the versatality to play in both the 43 and 34 and play well. Anthony Schlegel could not play in a 34. Period. This college crap is absurd, even if you believe its only 10% of the deal.

Facts are, Mangini and Co. did not like what they were seeing in Schegel in Year 2. The guy did absolutely nothing last year, was a reach to begin with and the organization is admitting their mistake before they keep a mistake until his rookie contract expires to look good.

Well slats, perhaps you would want to run down for me every play that Schlegel got with the first or second string in a game situation?

As for you not understanding where he fits in the NFL, apparantly Marvin Lewis thinks he might fit in a 4-3, so I'm not sure how much weight your opinion really carries.

If he had played well enough in practice, learned the system and showed SOMETHING, even on Special Teams, he would have gotten more time in packages on defense. Do you understand how the NFL works?

Maybe he will fit in as a 43 MLB, maybe he won't. Marvin Lewis is taking a chance, giving the guy a second chance as players often deserve. Lets see how he does in a defense he understands and played well at in college. He wasn't going to fit in a 34.

Link?

Has even even had him in a 4-3 practice yet? You do know he has ONLY played under Mangini and NEVER in a base 4-3 defense in the NFL right?

Exactly. Mangini is going to play whoever the best player is, and if you're not good enough to make the team, you're noot good enough to make the team. Schlegel is practice squad material.

So then you think that Chad is clearly better than Kellen Clemens.

That Vilma and Barton are clearly better than Harris.

This idea that the Jets have an open competition for each position each camp is the biggest load of BS I've ever heard.

Do you honestly think that if Wade Smith had a better camp than Mangold that he'd be the starting Center? If Ventrone had a better camp than Rhodes that he'd be the starter? If Tui had a better camp than Chad he'd be the starter.

Of course not. Players are slotted into the depth chart based on the coaches evaluation. And, here's the reality for you. The lower down on the chart you are the fewer reps you get. If you're third or fourth you get almost no reps. Therefore your opportunities to impress the coach and change the coaches mind are limited. And, we're talking about the position coach first not the head coach.

Look, I like Mangini too. I think he is doing a good job as head coach. I just happen to think that this was a mistake for any number of reasons -- not the least of which is that the Jets will have to draft yet another ILB next year. You can like the coach and the system without drinking the Koolaide he chooses to serve.

Link?

Has even even had him in a 4-3 practice yet? You do know he has ONLY played under Mangini and NEVER in a base 4-3 defense in the NFL right?

I cant believe you have the nerve to post anything on this thread or any other while you are still welching on the bet we made. Be a man. Live up to the bet.

You are aware that before Mangini picked him to play in the 3-4 Schlegel had only ever played in the 4-3 in college. He had only ever been named All Conference MLB as a sophomore. Only ever led the Ohio State Buckeyes in TFL as an MLB. Only ever been the MLB on a defense that was #1 against the run having faced 5 of the top 25 run offenses in college.

I'm pretty sure Bruce, that Schlegel is comfortable in the 4-3.

He obviously failed to show enough in practice to get those reps.

Marvin's a little short on LB's and he's taking a flier on a former thrid round pick. Can't blame him there. I can see you're a Boar Hunter fanboy, and that you're feeling a little defensive, but maybe we should wait & see if Schlegel ever sees the field in Cincinnati before getting too excited.

And, yeah, I definitely think he's too slow to play MLB in the 4-3.

I cant believe you have the nerve to post anything on this thread or any other while you are still welching on the bet we made. Be a man. Live up to the bet.

You are aware that before Mangini picked him to play in the 3-4 Schlegel had only ever played in the 4-3 in college. He had only ever been named All Conference MLB as a sophomore. Only ever led the Ohio State Buckeyes in TFL as an MLB. Only ever been the MLB on a defense that was #1 against the run having faced 5 of the top 25 run offenses in college.

I'm pretty sure Bruce, that Schlegel is comfortable in the 4-3.

He hasnt played the 4-3 in 2 years...

Whether or not the Linebackers coach went to Michigan means NOTHING. You are an absolute fool to think a Linebackers coach's alma mater has any bearing on who is selected. David Harris was selected because he has experience of excelling in the 34 defense and has the versatality to play in both the 43 and 34 and play well. Anthony Schlegel could not play in a 34. Period. This college crap is absurd, even if you believe its only 10% of the deal.

Facts are, Mangini and Co. did not like what they were seeing in Schegel in Year 2. The guy did absolutely nothing last year, was a reach to begin with and the organization is admitting their mistake before they keep a mistake until his rookie contract expires to look good.

Michigan did not play a 3-4 last year. They experimented with it Harris' sophomore year. I didnt say I believed it was even 10% of the deal. I just threw the comment out there.

All I ever saw Schlegel do in the 3-4 was make plays. In the equivilant of about 3 games he recorded 19 tackles, 2 for a loss, forced a fumble, and recovered a fumble.

Here's the deal. Practice evaluations are subjective. To know what a player can do you have to watch him in a game and see if he makes plays. Schlegel made plays when he got the chance in games. It is stupidity to cut a guy who plays well in the area you drafted him to play well in (stopping the run) during the few chances he gets to play, and cut him because he wasnt good in his second preseason game at the thing (pass coverage) that you knew he wasnt good in.

The Jets cut a guy before they saw what he could do in an actual game. You can justify that as being brave and not trying to save face all you want. Its still stupid. Particularly when you cut him to keep a player like Brad Kassell.

He hasnt played the 4-3 in 2 years...

How do you have the nerve to even argue with me. You owe me. Stop welching and post the thread you said you were going to.

And as a technicality, its only been 1 season since Schlegel played in the 4-3. I'm pretty sure after playing that system for 4 seasons, he'll pick it back up pretty quick.

He obviously failed to show enough in practice to get those reps.

Marvin's a little short on LB's and he's taking a flier on a former thrid round pick. Can't blame him there. I can see you're a Boar Hunter fanboy, and that you're feeling a little defensive, but maybe we should wait & see if Schlegel ever sees the field in Cincinnati before getting too excited.

And, yeah, I definitely think he's too slow to play MLB in the 4-3.

The guy who is moved to the third team before OTAs even start doesnt get many reps to prove himself -- maybe 5 or 6 a practice.

I will grant you that the Bengals are a little short on LBs, its because of that that I am pretty sure he will get a chance to play there. Then, if he cant do the job after being given a legitimate chance, his career will be over.

How do you have the nerve to even argue with me. You owe me. Stop welching and post the thread you said you were going to.

And as a technicality, its only been 1 season since Schlegel played in the 4-3. I'm pretty sure after playing that system for 4 seasons, he'll pick it back up pretty quick.

Yeah Bruce, you need to... wait a minute...

:lol:

I need to stop laughing. OK...

You need to make good on the bet.

:Typotux:

ecurb made a bet with me and still hasnt paid up

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24976&page=5

And then he has the nerve to attack other posts I made in the thread where I am calling him out for not paying up.

Lets go Nancy (ecurb) Either pay up tonight or admit that you are a weasel who is trying to get out of paying off a bet and then post my thread tomorrow.

Be a man.

ecurb made a bet with me and still hasnt paid up

http://www.jetnation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24976&page=5

And then he has the nerve to attack other posts I made in the thread where I am calling him out for not paying up.

Lets go Nancy (ecurb) Either pay up tonight or admit that you are a weasel who is trying to get out of paying off a bet and then post my thread tomorrow.

Be a man.

I told you I just want to see if he actually sticks... you will have your damn thread tommorow

I told you I just want to see if he actually sticks... you will have your damn thread tommorow

Then you are admitting that you are a low down weasel who is trying everything possible to get out of paying off the bet?

Say yes and I'll leave you alone till tomorrow.

Archived