Mike Mussina is the Yankee ace

TaborJet

The Moose has pitched well when the Yankees need it the most. He has 2 complete games this year. He also had started the last long winning streak, and let's hope yesterday's game starts another. Say what you want about beating the Pirates, but as of last night they had a better record than the Yanks.

As for Randy Johnson, while he has more strikeouts and a lower ERA than Mussina, he has been anything but clutch. His control and velocity aren't 100%. Mussina has been getting ahead of a lot of batters, and again two complete games is a testament to his endurance.

So until proven otherwise, Mussina is the Yankees #1 starter.

The Moose has pitched well when the Yankees need it the most. He has 2 complete games this year. He also had started the last long winning streak, and let's hope yesterday's game starts another. Say what you want about beating the Pirates, but as of last night they had a better record than the Yanks.

As for Randy Johnson, while he has more strikeouts and a lower ERA than Mussina, he has been anything but clutch. His control and velocity aren't 100%. Mussina has been getting ahead of a lot of batters, and again two complete games is a testament to his endurance.

Relax on naming mussina an ace. The yanks don't have a bonified ace yet. Remember, he just beat the BUCS. Wait till Mussina faces the Sox, orioles or Whitesox...then if he beats them, you can pin him as your #1.

LL

Relax on naming mussina an ace. The yanks don't have a bonified ace yet. Remember, he just beat the BUCS. Wait till Mussina faces the Sox, orioles or Whitesox...then if he beats them, you can pin him as your #1.

LL

I'm just saying that Mussina is the best pitcher on the staff as of right now. I would rather throw him up against other team's #1 rather than Johnson. I think Moose has been more consistent.

do you want to update that list now?

even if he had a couple of off starts, the big unit is the clear #1 starter.

So let me get this straight. The determining factor in who the ace of the Yankee staff is must be based on how they perform against the Pittsburgh Pirates? You Yankee fans are taking the whole "what have you done for me lately" routine WAY too far.

"You there, Wang...you pitched good yesterday...congrats, you're the new ace!!"

So let me get this straight. The determining factor in who the ace of the Yankee staff is must be based on how they perform against the Pittsburgh Pirates? You Yankee fans are taking the whole "what have you done for me lately" routine WAY too far.

"You there, Wang...you pitched good yesterday...congrats, you're the new ace!!"

i think it's you that is taking things too far - the other direction. the unit has been one of if not the most dominating pitcher over the last decade. a few bad starts and all of a sudden he is not the #1.

i think it's you that is taking things too far - the other direction. the unit has been one of if not the most dominating pitcher over the last decade. a few bad starts and all of a sudden he is not the #1.

A few bad starts for a dominant pitcher in his 20s or 30s wouldnt be cause for alarm.

However, the man is 42 friggin years old! How can you NOT take that into account and consider it a problem? He is NOT dominant anymore, this isn't 2001. He's lost 5 MPH on his fastball and he has lost much of the bite on his slider. He may be the best pitcher on this staff (which doesn't say much), but just because he USED to be a dominant pitcher doesn't mean he should be considered the most dependable pitcher on this team at his age.

A few bad starts for a dominant pitcher in his 20s or 30s wouldnt be cause for alarm.

However, the man is 42 friggin years old! How can you NOT take that into account and consider it a problem? He is NOT dominant anymore, this isn't 2001. He's lost 5 MPH on his fastball and he has lost much of the bite on his slider. He may be the best pitcher on this staff (which doesn't say much), but just because he USED to be a dominant pitcher doesn't mean he should be considered the most dependable pitcher on this team at his age.

do you feel the same way about pedro? i would worry more about a guy with a history of arm problems and breaking down in september than i would about the unit.

I thought JonEJinx was on vacation! Jon, seriously, an assumed name??? Youre taking this waaaaaay too far!

Unless you are the pinch-jinx while JEJ is eating sheep balls in Scotland. Relax mods, its called haggis and its a Scottish recipe

I thought JonEJinx was on vacation! Jon, seriously, an assumed name??? Youre taking this waaaaaay too far!

Unless you are the pinch-jinx while JEJ is eating sheep balls in Scotland. Relax mods, its called haggis and its a Scottish recipe

do you feel the same way about pedro? i would worry more about a guy with a history of arm problems and breaking down in september than i would about the unit.

You know Fo_Block, you're right. I SHOULD be worrying more about Pedro, based on his history.

But I'm not, ya know why? Because Pedro is having a Cy Young-type season. He won't keep it up, but for now, he's keeping the Mets afloat.

You know Fo_Block, you're right. I SHOULD be worrying more about Pedro, based on his history.

But I'm not, ya know why? Because Pedro is having a Cy Young-type season. He won't keep it up, but for now, he's keeping the Mets afloat.

I agree. Of course, Mussina has no guts and wilts in big spots, but that's par for the Yankees course this season.

Tom I know that you are the authority on wilting in big spots. But you are wrong here.

His career ERA in the postseason is just over 3. Looks pretty good to me.

I agree. Of course, Mussina has no guts and wilts in big spots, but that's par for the Yankees course this season.

Tom I know that you are the authority on wilting in big spots. But you are wrong here.

Remember when he came in for relief in thw 2003 ALCS game and shut the sox down? That was as clutch and as gutsy as a performance I have ever seen!

Remember when he came in for relief in thw 2003 ALCS game and shut the sox down? That was as clutch and as gutsy as a performance I have ever seen!

Archived