Batman Begins

Jetheelz

Went and saw this last night. First off I will say that I am not a huge Batman fan, rather a fan of superheroes (Supes is my fav) but this movie was great!! Good to see a comic book movie get things right and stay with the story that we know.

First of all, the film shows us the dark side of Batman/Bruce Wayne...the way he is supposed to be, the way he is in the comics and graphic novels. No more of this silly Jim Carrey and Arnold Schwartzenegger stuff that we saw in previous films. No more of the childish angles and stupid ideas. This movie is the real deal.

We see the struggle Bruce Wayne has with himself..the murder of his parents, his greatest fears, his battle with the demons inside himself. How he finally decides to take on the evil that has swallowed up his home, Gotham City.

We see how superheroes do not always get the girl..how they have real-life issues and problems, and things are not always hunky-dory as they say. This truly shows the real Batman, nothing but the truth. Dark, mysterious, and even scary.

All the characters did well in their roles...Christian Bale delivers the sleek playboy Bruce Wayne character, while still doing justice to the pessimistic and dark demeanor of his alter-ego superhero identity. Also add superb performances by actors like Liam Neeson, Morgan Freeman, Michael Caine and Gary Oldman to the mix and you've got a great supporting cast. And yes, Katie Holmes was good also.

I give it a 9.5 out of 10. Great flick.

I took my son to see it with no real expecatations, and I'm not a big comic book guy.

Simply, a great movie, which is way beyond the super hero stuff. I wouldn't want to say much more than that, but a great supporting cast, a good story and a plot that touched on philosophy, if you could imagine it.

I think the Fantastic 4 is going to have problems when it hits theaters...it has the look of a cool movie and eye candy and all but I doubt it will get really deep and in touch with its comic roots. Batman Begins did just that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stays #1 for a few weeks

I think the Fantastic 4 is going to have problems when it hits theaters...it has the look of a cool movie and eye candy and all but I doubt it will get really deep and in touch with its comic roots. Batman Begins did just that, and I wouldn't be surprised if it stays #1 for a few weeks

Sorry, but Jessica Alba will always win out over a great plot. It's the sad, cold truth.

I thought the Batman movie was very good, too. Nice to see them get away from some of the ridiculous stuff that we saw in the movie series. And I'm crossing my fingers that the Joker is you-know-who in the sequel.

Anyways, I didn't like the action scenes as it was hard to follow who was actually winning the battles. They did this to make you feel you were in the fight, but it didn't work for me. Still, it was a good movie and one I'll have to add to my collection when it comes out on DVD. No more downloading this stuff off of the internet:)

And Dark Angel?

And don't forget HONEY!

Though I think the FF will do just fine. After all, Spielburg had them move WAR OF THE WORLDS back 2 weeks from it's original release date - JUST BECAUSE HE HAD JUST SEEN THE FF MOVIE IN A PRIVATE SCREENING!

Plus, since I'm also in the ACTION FIGURE SALES BUSINESS, I can tell you that a certain group of heroes has been the #1 sales for the last 6 weeks over the DARK NIGHT and just short of besting the SITH!

It will do just fine!

Plus, since I'm also in the ACTION FIGURE SALES BUSINESS, I can tell you that a certain group of heroes has been the #1 sales for the last 6 weeks over the DARK NIGHT and just short of besting the SITH!

Hey, sounds like a really cool job to have. I'm also a toy collector so that kind of stuff really interests me. I imagine the top seller in the FF series has to be the Invisible Woman (Jessica Alba) figure...due to the fact that hers is short packed and comes in 3 versions (clear, morphing, solid). Those things go for pretty good amounts on ebay.

And don't forget HONEY!

Though I think the FF will do just fine. After all, Spielburg had them move WAR OF THE WORLDS back 2 weeks from it's original release date - JUST BECAUSE HE HAD JUST SEEN THE FF MOVIE IN A PRIVATE SCREENING!

It will do just fine!

I agree with you Baumer, I think the FF movie will do well. Jessica Alba or not. Because it's got the same appeal as XMen, IMO.

I went to see Batman Begins today with my daughter and 7 of her friends. ( 4 boys and 4 girls...but that is another story. OY! :lol: actually they were harmless and cute ...the girls sat in a line and the boys sat next to them in a line...no hanky panky... ;) )

ANYWAY... the movie ROCKED ... dark...but filled with wonderful action.., interestingly the kids didnt like it. the found it boring. Liam Niesson and Michael Caine were fabulous.

A must for all batman fans and for those who arent fans also.!

I saw this tonight by myself because I'm just that much of a loser, but I was really disappointed.

1) The back story stuff was cool, as I think the stuff about him going to Tibet was hugely important and kind of got the brush-over in the first (and best) flick, but even that in this flick was kind of lame. It is painfully obvious that Christian Bale has zero athletic ability and the movie went out of its way to hide that with the muddled camera angles. And in the comic, they didn't deal with the bullsh*t "ninja" garbage like they did here. It minimizes what Batman does. Watching Bale "fight" Liam Neeson was almost silly, and what was with that ridiculous choreographed dance scene at the end of his training? Just weak.

2) Katie Holmes, and I hate to say this because I befouled myself many times to her while watching the original "Dawson's Creek," but Katie has absolutely no talent and zero screen presence. The romance storyline between her and Bale was so contrived, and you could tell that Bale was thinking the whole time "I'm not plugging that. No way" during their scenes together. I read somewhere that Bale will be doing at least three more Batmans, which is cool, because I thought he was OK, but that producers are so disgusted by Holmes and are so annoyed by this whole Tom Cruise charade that she will not be in any other Batman flicks. They said, and I quote, they will go with a "stronger actress." Ouch. When you compare Holmes to Spiderman's Kirtsen Dunst, you realize what a train wreck Holmes has become. Note to Tom Cruise: get a step-stool and take a look at something other than her boobs before you marry her.

3) What was up with that dialogue? It was almost embarrassing at times: "It's not what's inside that counts. It's what you do that defines you." !??!?? Who the hell writes that garbage? Plus, when Bale is speaking in the Batman suit, his chin-fat hangs out over the mask and makes him look ridiculous, and note to director: when the guy can't turn his head in the bat-suit, don't shoot him from the side. He looked like a freaking paraplegic during his speaking parts. Just awful. Gordon: "I never thanked you." Long pause. Batman: "And you'll never have to." Awful. And not to Bale, when you're speaking as Batman, the idea is to sound menacing, not like you need a cough drop. For God's sake man, audibilize. Ridiculous.

4) One of the questions that was never cleared up in the comic is exactly how the Bat-cave was outfitted with all of its technology, but the movie went out of its way to introduce that, which I thought was cool. The Morgan Freeman character explains alot.

5) The special effects were cool, especially the train. The car chase that veryone raved about sucked, however. And as for the Batmobile, what was that stupid crap where the steering column dips down into the front of the vehicle to fire weapons.....while the car is moving? That was just stupid.

6) Moving forward, I have two words of advice for the writers: No Robin. He was stupid as a comic book character and he'll be even worse as a movie character. There is just no way to make Robin cool. None. That was Bob Kane working out some issues with pedophilia, and we should just let it die with that.

7) The final speech with Katie Holmes and Christian Bale was absolutely painful and stolen from Spiderman. The whole "I can't love you as Batman...your face is the true mask" crap was atrocious, and any self-respecting dude in that theater was like "so?" Beat it, skank. It would have been AWESOME if Bale looked at her and replied, "I'm Bruce Wayne, Bitch!" Dave Chapelle-style.

In sum, it wasn't a terrible movie, per se. I didn't leave there thinking that I had lost my $8.50, and I'd probably give the sequel a try, but this is far, far below the level of the Spiderman flicks. As for the Fantastic 4 flick, I saw that preview tonight. It looks beat, but it will do huge box office. The main problem with that flick is that the villain is stupid-looking. That whole man-in-the-iron-mask thing is played.

Katie has absolutely no talent and zero screen presence.

I have to admit that something was missing with her. I left feeling there was nothing really "special" about her in this movie. Beautiful? Yes. Leading actress? Nah.

Plus, when Bale is speaking in the Batman suit, his chin-fat hangs out over the mask ...

I was rather surprised at how out of shape he was for a "super hero". They should have taken several months to bulk him up for the part.

In sum, it wasn't a terrible movie, per se. I didn't leave there thinking that I had lost my $8.50, and I'd probably give the sequel a try, but this is far, far below the level of the Spiderman flicks.

It was definitely below the level of the Spiderman movies, but I'm a Mavel comics kind of guy ... not a DC guy. I look forward to seeing future movies ... without Robin.

I'm a Marvel comics kind of guy ... not a DC guy. I look forward to seeing future movies ... without Robin.

Here is a nice article put together by MTV concerning the future of comic movies. Looks like alot of things are in store.

Future Shocks: What's ahead for Avi Arad And his Marvel Empire?

by Larry Carroll

Like Professor X looming over the students of his School for Gifted Youngsters, Avi Arad is the father figure of Marvel Studios, studying the development of the comic company's most promising stars and deciding when

I was a huge comics fan, and I don't want to see any of those movies. I guarantee that maybe one of them (besides the Spiderman, F4, and X-mens) ever see the screen. No way. Daredevil, Elektra, Hulk and the Punisher were abyssmal flicks. Silver Surfer sucked as a comic unless you were dropping LSD, and Captain America never had any appeal to anyone after the end of the Cold War.

I collected a lot of comics in the 70's and the ones I was most interested in were Conan, Fantastic Four, Spiderman, Captain America, and the Silver Surfer.

I'm not sure if I'd want to see a different super hero every month on the big screen. Geez. The X-men were ok as they had some good actors/actresses to keep me interested, but I'd probably just stick to the Spiderman and Batman movies.

I have a problem with this line:

Regarding Jean Grey's possible evolution at the end of the last movie, however, Arad says, "Dark Phoenix should not be the centerpiece of the movie."

Actually, that's not right right - Singer's direction was to take the X-Men deep into the Dark Phoenix Saga. That is unless Rattner, as MOST directors do when they take over, changed his mind on both Singer's & Vaughns plot & decided instead to bring the SENTINALS & a "Days of Future's Past" storyline into X-3.

That does make more sence & would make X-4 a better film to wait for...

Just got back from Batman Begins and let me just say. I was not impressed. I'm not entirely sure what it was but I just didn't like the movie all that much. I thought the storyline was great and I liked how they didn't try to make the villains more evolved than in the comics much like they did in Spiderman. I think it was the dude that played Batman. That voice just almost had me cracking up half the time. Just didn't strike me as a Batman voice. Also, this WAS NOT a kids movie. I took my 3 year old and he didn't do too bad although he did start complaining about it being too long. But there was one scene with Scarecrow where a little kid was actually carried out of the theater screaming bloody murder. All in all, pretty disappointed. Maybe it just needed some stronger villains, I don't know.

Just got back from Batman Begins and let me just say. I was not impressed. I'm not entirely sure what it was but I just didn't like the movie all that much. I thought the storyline was great and I liked how they didn't try to make the villains more evolved than in the comics much like they did in Spiderman. I think it was the dude that played Batman. That voice just almost had me cracking up half the time. Just didn't strike me as a Batman voice. Also, this WAS NOT a kids movie. I took my 3 year old and he didn't do too bad although he did start complaining about it being too long. But there was one scene with Scarecrow where a little kid was actually carried out of the theater screaming bloody murder. All in all, pretty disappointed. Maybe it just needed some stronger villains, I don't know.

they show movies at 5am in kansas??? you JUST got back?? ;)

when i went with my daughter and her gang... they didnt like it either (12 years old) i think it was made for an adult audience. i enjoyed it though.

when i went with my daughter and her gang... they didnt like it either (12 years old) i think it was made for an adult audience. i enjoyed it though.

Sorry, not literally. I actually went last night at 7. This is just the first time I've posted since then. Are you trying to say I'm not an adult? Because I didn't like the movie either. If so, I would tend to agree. :lol:

Sorry, not literally. I actually went last night at 7. This is just the first time I've posted since then. Are you trying to say I'm not an adult? Because I didn't like the movie either. If so, I would tend to agree. :lol:

well....... if the shoe fits...;)

no i just think that it wasnt made for young children. i dont expect that all adults would enjoy it. :D

well....... if the shoe fits...;)

no i just think that it wasnt made for young children. i dont expect that all adults would enjoy it. :D

Went last night for my 2nd viewing of the movie, and I actually enjoyed it even more this time. It helped me because I was able to pick up on a few things that I missed during my first viewing. Plus I was able to understand some of the plotlines with the villains and all, because I read the comic "Ras Al Ghul-Year One" this week and it explained a few things about the League of Shadows and all the story behind that.

Went last night for my 2nd viewing of the movie, and I actually enjoyed it even more this time. It helped me because I was able to pick up on a few things that I missed during my first viewing. Plus I was able to understand some of the plotlines with the villains and all, because I read the comic "Ras Al Ghul-Year One" this week and it explained a few things about the League of Shadows and all the story behind that.

Archived