Defense: Edwards 2004 VS Mangini 2005-06

Coles83

In 2004, I remember we were in the top 10 in pass and rush. Herm's game plans and clock management wasn't nearly as complex and concise as Mangini's.

Herm was a player's coach..Mangini is so austere that you wonder if he can instill that fire and passion into our guys..Herm brought the fire, where Mangini has more of that methodical approach..

I would take Herm's defense over our D presently.

The comparison really doesnt make any sense.

2004 was Herms 4th year defense. He had 4 years to build it up. Mangini has only had 2 years, and he took over a 4-12 team w/a bad defense while Herm took over a playoff team with a good defense. Translation: Mangini had more work to do w/the defense when he took the Jets HC job in 2006, than when Herm did in 2001.

Like I said, the 3-4 takes time to build up like any defense does. 2009 will be Mangini's 4th year defense. Talk to me in 2 years and compare that defense to the 2004 defense under Herm, if you want.

In 2004, I remember we were in the top 10 in pass and rush. Herm's game plans and clock management wasn't nearly as complex and concise as Mangini's.

Herm was a player's coach..Mangini is so austere that you wonder if he can instill that fire and passion into our guys..Herm brought the fire, where Mangini has more of that methodical approach..

I would take Herm's defense over our D presently.

Herm brought dick (literally and figuratively) and little more. It wasn't Herm's defense anyway. Herm's defense was the one that got run on at will for the 3 years prior. You are oversimplifying in so many ways without looking at many things (personnel & schedule being two of the major ones).

That being said, Mangini's defense sucks ass.

The comparison really doesnt make any sense.

2004 was Herms 4th year defense. He had 4 years to build it up. Mangini has only had 2 years, and he took over a 4-12 team w/a bad defense while Herm took over a playoff team with a good defense. Translation: Mangini had more work to do w/the defense when he took the Jets HC job in 2006, than when Herm did in 2001.

Like I said, the 3-4 takes time to build up like any defense does. 2009 will be Mangini's 4th year defense. Talk to me in 2 years and compare that defense to the 2004 defense under Herm, if you want.

Agreed, i think we will have one hell of a D after 2 more years, the one real problem is our NT getting pushed back every other play, we need a NT that will take up blockers and free up our LB core.

Archived