Jeff George wants back in!

Kentucky Jet

PFT-

JEFF GEORGE WANTS BACK IN

Sean Jensen of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that 39-year-old quarterback Jeff George, the No. 1 overall pick in the 1990 draft, is lobbying to be signed by the Vikings.

George called our buddy Paul Allen of KFAN on Monday to see if P.A. would gauge the team's interest.

"I know they're banged up," George told Jensen. "But with a running back like Adrian Peterson, I would be licking my chops. With that running back, you need someone who can throw that deep ball, and I know I still can. I don't care about the talent at receiver."

George spent a season with the Vikings in 1999, and replaced a sputtering Randall Cunningham while the Vikings were 2-3 and losing to the Lions. George nearly pulled off the comeback, but did enough to win the job -- and he lead the Vikes into the postseason, where they lost to the Rams in the divisional round.

Our take? At the risk of sounding like Jason Whitlock, George should get a shot. The current crop of Vikings quarterbacks -- Brooks Bollinger, Tarvaris Jackson, and Kelly Holcomb -- might as well change their names to "stink," "stank," and "stunk."

Rightly or wrongly, did he just insult every receiver on the team as a lobbying technique to be the guy who throws them the ball? LOL!!!

"Yeah, I want to be their QB. These receivers are total garbage, but I'll get them to perform."

Shiancoe might bury his cleats in George's face before the first practice is over.

Rightly or wrongly, did he just insult every receiver on the team as a lobbying technique to be the guy who throws them the ball? LOL!!!

"Yeah, I want to be their QB. These receivers are total garbage, but I'll get them to perform."

Shiancoe might bury his cleats in George's face before the first practice is over.

Million dollar arm...ten cent head....

Thats exactly the way I read it. It's obvious he has not learned much after all this time.

This is a bit OT here, but I just got through reading a thread on another board about Pennington's trade value.

Most posters thought that it was a 4th or 5th round pick, and were calling the posters that said he is worth a 1st stupid.

Real starting QB's are at such a high value right now, I guess I will go into the stupid category.

I think the Jets will get a 1st for Chad. Or won't trade him. I also think everyone is going to be surprised at how much interest there will be in Chad.

Lets face it if Vinny and George are still in the league, and Vinnies starting, some people are really hurting for QB's.

This FO has shown in the past that they will not let a player go just because he wants to go. They will get what they want, or he stays.

JMHO

This is a bit OT here, but I just got through reading a thread on another board about Pennington's trade value.

Most posters thought that it was a 4th or 5th round pick, and were calling the posters that said he is worth a 1st stupid.

Real starting QB's are at such a high value right now, I guess I will go into the stupid category.

I think the Jets will get a 1st for Chad. Or won't trade him. I also think everyone is going to be surprised at how much interest there will be in Chad.

Lets face it if Vinny and George are still in the league, and Vinnies starting, some people are really hurting for QB's.

This FO has shown in the past that they will not let a player go just because he wants to go. They will get what they want, or he stays.

JMHO

Good post, but you are neglecting one thing-his salary. We do not and likely will not want to keep him on board as a backup with his current salary. Furthermore, he'll likely be unwilling to take a huge paycut. That's the real rub. Other teams know that as well, so they have the upper hand in knowing we will probably cut him if we don't deal him in a trade. So while quality of trhe player alone dictates a starting QB has a 1st round grade, factor in the realization that other forces such as salary and likeliness of being cut and that 1st round grade goes down. I think anywhere in the 3rd round is the fair target. Schaub went for a 2nd round pick. Schaub is younger and showed more long term potential than Chad does currently, so I think a 3rd is about right.

Good post, but you are neglecting one thing-his salary. We do not and likely will not want to keep him on board as a backup with his current salary. Furthermore, he'll likely be unwilling to take a huge paycut. That's the real rub. Other teams know that as well, so they have the upper hand in knowing we will probably cut him if we don't deal him in a trade. So while quality of trhe player alone dictates a starting QB has a 1st round grade, factor in the realization that other forces such as salary and likeliness of being cut and that 1st round grade goes down. I think anywhere in the 3rd round is the fair target. Schaub went for a 2nd round pick. Schaub is younger and showed more long term potential than Chad does currently, so I think a 3rd is about right.

Chad's cap # for a team that trades for him:

2008: $4.8M (age 32)

2009: $5.7M (age 33)

2010: $2.3M (age 34)

2011: $7.5M (age 35)

Now keep in mind they don't have to (and wouldn't) give him a signing bonus. The bonus $ we gave him only goes against NYJ caps; it does not transfer to his new team. Only money they pay him comes off their cap.

So if a team is in a real bind, I think there's a decent chance we get at least a 3rd-rounder.

Schaub went for only a 2nd, but Houston also then had to cough up a $50M contract with an 8-figure signing bonus once they acquired him.

Another team can look at Chad's contract as 3 years, $12.8M with zero signing bonus.

With some decent prospects coming out, I seriously doubt we'd get a first & I'd be in shock if we got a 2nd. I think somewhere between a 3rd & a 5th is his value. The flip-side is that everyone knows we're going to release him (if Clemens looks good this year).

Archived