More Wacky Mets Rumors

Lil Bit Special

http://www.metsblog.com/2007/12/05/buzz-willis-offered-to-mets-with-pudge/

Speaking with WFAN, beat reporter Sweeny Murti said…

“Omar Minaya said he inquired about Dontrelle Willis, but the Marlins were not going to deal him within the division.

“However, the Tigers have explored the idea of spinning him off, and they have contacted the Mets. There wasn’t an official offer presented to Omar, but what was talked about, from what I was told, they talked about spinning off Willis.

In addition, though, the Mets would have to take on some salary. The Tigers are interested, perhaps, in moving Willis and Ivan Rodriguez and dumping his salary, which is $13 million next season. So, if the Mets wanted Willis from Detroit, they’d have to take on that salary. The thing is, he has a no trade clause, so to get him to waive it you’d probably have to give him another year.”

I normally dont like posting things from blogs, but this one was too good to pass up.

David Wells would like to talk to Mets

Wednesday, Dec 5, 2007 9:49 am EST

ept_sports_rumors-491026635-1190131000.jpg?ym5kYJ.CEaruDJoeGetty Images

There is a pitcher out there who actually wants to talk to the New York Mets. David Wells.

The New York Daily News reported representatives for David Wells are trying to get an audience with the Mets, noting that the ex-Yankee is seeking only a one-year contract and is a good influence on young pitchers, but they've yet to get an audience with Omar Minaya.

:puke:

There is a pitcher out there who actually wants to talk to the New York Mets. David Wells.

The New York Daily News reported representatives for David Wells are trying to get an audience with the Mets, noting that the ex-Yankee is seeking only a one-year contract and is a good influence on young pitchers, but they've yet to get an audience with Omar Minaya.

Keep the news comin LBS. ;)

Keep it up. I for one, love the rumours, that's what the hot stove league is all about.

my head is spinning from all the wacky rumors... and not just the mets ones...

I was at the winter meetings 8 years ago and it is a surreal atmosphere. I drank with Jimmy Williams there when he was manager of the Red Sox. He was totally sauced and was with this bimbo that was like half his age (she was in her late 30's... perfect for an old guy like him).

and the rumors flying around.. it was crazy. and lots of fun. i could only imagine what its like this year...

my head is spinning from all the wacky rumors... and not just the mets ones...

I was at the winter meetings 8 years ago and it is a surreal atmosphere. I drank with Jimmy Williams there when he was manager of the Red Sox. He was totally sauced and was with this bimbo that was like half his age (she was in her late 30's... perfect for an old guy like him).

and the rumors flying around.. it was crazy. and lots of fun. i could only imagine what its like this year...

Wow that sounds like a great time. Something you'd never forget. It's a fun time of year where anything can happen.

The Wilpons should probably ask Minaya to stop calling reporters with silly rumors and call some actual GMs instead. The Twins arent't taking any deal for Humber, Heilmann and Pelfrey(guys Minaya devalued over this season by not starting them)unless it includes Reyes. Why would the Tiggers, after giving up their crown jewels, trurn around and give up a guy they still view as a solid #2 behind Verlander(a view I don't agree with, but that msut be the thinking to take him without being allowed to discuss a contract extension)? And Detroit is not more interested in Omar's collection of devalued pitchers and middling minor leaguers.

Lefties Johan Santana, Dontrelle Willis are on Mets' radar

BY ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, December 6th 2007, 4:00 AM

alg_dontrellewillis.jpg Trotman/Getty Dontrelle Willis pitches against the Mets on Sept. 30. Willis got a no-decision, but the Marlins beat the Mets to help keep them out of the postseason.

amd_johansantana.jpg Cataffo/News Johan Santana pitches against the Mets in June.

NASHVILLE - The Shea faithful may be giving up on Omar Minaya's ability to land Johan Santana.

But the Mets GM isn't giving up on landing the Twins' ace. And failing that, newly dealt lefty Dontrelle Willis may soon be available.

"Am I more optimistic? I want to say that since 24 hours ago, we've had some positive dialogue," Omar Minaya said, without directly naming Santana as the topic of his reply.

The Mets GM added: "It can go from positive to negative real quick. At least I feel we're still in play."

Said Willie Randolph: "Everyone knows who is out there. The big fish are out there. Santana is still out there. I don't think that we're necessarily out of the picture even though I think Boston and the Yankees get most of the play on that. Depends on what Minnesota wants, if they have what we like, that's something that might happen."

Suggestions that the Mets had surged back into the picture in the Santana sweepstakes with the Yankees having bailed out and Boston's proposals yet to be accepted left Mets officials amused. In their estimation, they never were out of the running for Santana - although the winter meetings buzz is that the Mets' offers, which don't include Jose Reyes, aren't enough to rival what else is being dangled at the Twins.

Minaya plans to leave the Opryland Hotel this afternoon, as the meetings break up after the Rule5 draft. With Minnesota notoriously methodical in its negotiations, Mets officials didn't expect anything to transpire before they departed. They believed Oakland's Dan Haren and Baltimore's Erik Bedard wouldn't be traded until the Santana deal happened. The Mets don't seem able to sweeten their offers much more than what has already been dangled: one of their outfield prospects (Carlos Gomez or Fernando Martinez), and Philip Humber, Kevin Mulvey or Mike Pelfrey, along with Aaron Heilman. The Mets don't appear willing to part with Gomez and Martinez in a deal, especially after trading Lastings Milledge.

Minaya reiterated Reyes is not going anywhere.

"We are not going to trade our core players," he said.

On the Willis front, Mets sources believe the Tigers may look to flip the lefty they just got from the Marlins because of payroll limitations. The Mets would be interested in speaking with the Tigers, but no dialogue is believed to have occurred yet. It is believed the Marlins may have insisted the Tigers take on both their arbitration-eligible players, Willis and third baseman Miguel Cabrera. The Tigers acquired both players knowing they couldn't afford both, and may be looking to replenish their farm system by flipping Willis.

If they ultimately strike out on the Santana-Haren-Bedard trio, the Mets plan to weigh a multi-year offer to someone such as Livan Hernandez versus simply bringing lower-profile pitchers to spring training on minor-league contracts to compete with Pelfrey, Humber and Mulvey. In the past, pitchers arriving in camp under similar scenarios have included Jorge Sosa, Aaron Sele and Scott Erickson.

"We like our starting rotation. Would we like to improve that? Yes," Minaya said. "If you don't, I think we are we a good team."

Position-player-wise, the Mets appear mostly set, with Randolph suggesting that Damion Easley could play right field on a limited basis when he may want to sit Ryan Church against a tough lefthander. Aside from Easley, the bench would include Marlon Anderson, Ramon Castro and Endy Chavez. The final spot likely would be taken up by Ruben Gotay.

BLUE JAY WAY: Paul Lo Duca reportedly will sign a one-year deal with the Blue Jays worth less than $5 million. He also had interest from Washington.... The Rays, looking for a part-time, lefty-hitting right fielder, appear interested in ex-Met Cliff Floyd.

Pudge Rodriguez would be a good pickup for the Mets.

Yeah I can't understand why he is the deal breaker for the Mets on this. Isn't he a good defensive catcher? Someone like Pudge should be a relief for Mets fans after they got killed by Mike "I Should Have Been a DH my Entire Career I suck so Much at Catching" Piazza for all those years.

I was listening to Boningo at work earlier and he was just livid about the Mets not pulling the trigger on this deal.

I love it when the Mets act conservative with their money, like they're a small-town team like the Pirates or Royals. The best was when they passed up on Arod on 2000 and then later compounded their mistake 10-fold by trading for washed up Mo Vaughn.

Go ahead Omar, pass up Dontrelle for old duds past their prime like Livan Hernandez.

God I love the Mets' ineptitude. They are what the Knicks would be without a salary cap.

Rubbish. The Mets have almost went wire to wire the past two seasons under Omar(Knicks ?)and lets see what the offer actually is and hear that Omar has turned it down.

As for ARod, that was a different FO but we all know ARod practically asked for a seprate stadium in his outlandish demands. The only time Omar has backed off on spending is on Zito.....to date that looks like a smart move.

doesn't wells know to get an audience with omar he needs a disguise??

00192708.zoom.a.jpg

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7528844?MSNHPHMA

The Mets made the strongest run at Rockies left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes, offering right-hander Aaron Heilman in a straight-up trade. The Rockies asked for lefty Scott Schoeneweis in addition to Heilman, and from there the talks disintegrated

How about you see if Heilman can be a f^%king starter already!!!!! Christ if they dislike him so much, convert him back to a starter and trade him next year when he has more value.

reason #364 on why I hate Omar Minaya.

http://weblogs.newsday.com/sports/watchdog/blog/2007/12/tampas_andy_freed_in_mix_for_m.html

Tampa's Andy Freed in mix for Mets radio gig

andy_freed_96x72.jpgWFAN does not appear to be in a huge hurry to name a replacement for Tom McCarthy in the Mets radio booth. No worries. Opening Day is a long way away.

There are several candidates in the mix, but if I were in Vegas putting down a bet I'd probably go with Andy Freed, the voice of the Tampa (no longer Devil) Rays.

The Mets made the strongest run at Rockies left-handed reliever Brian Fuentes, offering right-hander Aaron Heilman in a straight-up trade. The Rockies asked for lefty Scott Schoeneweis in addition to Heilman, and from there the talks disintegrated

How about you see if Heilman can be a f^%king starter already!!!!! Christ if they dislike him so much, convert him back to a starter and trade him next year when he has more value.

This is true. Minaya has basically devalued Pelfrey(13 starts), Humber(1) and Heilman(0). Instead, he brought Jose Lima to camp, and picked up scrubs like Larwence(6), Sosa(13), Park, Vargas,et al. With a staff with El Duque, Galvine and Pedro, that's lousy pitching management. Basically, Minaya devalued these guys by not giving them a shot at starting and now cannot figure out why no teams want them.Heck, based on 2007, he doesn't think much of them so why should anyone else.

This is true. Minaya has basically devalued Pelfrey(13 starts), Humber(1) and Heilman(0). Instead, he brought Jose Lima to camp, and picked up scrubs like Larwence(6), Sosa(13), Park, Vargas,et al. With a staff with El Duque, Galvine and Pedro, that's lousy pitching management. Basically, Minaya devalued these guys by not giving them a shot at starting and now cannot figure out why no teams want them.Heck, based on 2007, he doesn't think much of them so why should anyone else.

exactly. glad someone else can see this also. wish the media would pick up on it instead of the fellatio they perform on him in the papers everyday.

I was listening to Boningo at work earlier and he was just livid about the Mets not pulling the trigger on this deal.

I love it when the Mets act conservative with their money, like they're a small-town team like the Pirates or Royals. The best was when they passed up on Arod on 2000 and then later compounded their mistake 10-fold by trading for washed up Mo Vaughn.

Go ahead Omar, pass up Dontrelle for old duds past their prime like Livan Hernandez.

God I love the Mets' ineptitude. They are what the Knicks would be without a salary cap.

Did you even read the part about Detroit just making an inquiry, not an offer? You Skankee fans are too much.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/2007/12/07/2007-12-07_mets_move_on_but_still_eye_an_ace-1.html?print=1&page=all

BY ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, December 7th 2007, 4:00 AM

Humphrey/AP

NASHVILLE - Omar Minaya departed the winter meetings sounding like a man prepared to head to spring training needing only minor tinkering to his roster from this point forward. That said, the Mets GM wouldn't resign himself to losing out on Johan Santana, Dan Haren or Erik Bedard just yet.

"If those guys are not going to be traded to us, we're kind of ready to go with our team as it is right now," Minaya said, without mentioning the aces by their names.

Minaya said he didn't have any meetings scheduled for yesterday before hopping on a 3 p.m. flight that also took Yankees GM Brian Cashman back to New York. The Mets weren't surprised by the lack of a trade involving any those pitchers, considering the Twins, A's and Orioles work more methodically than most teams. Mets brass predicted two of the three eventually would be moved.

Oakland is believed to have told the Mets that it isn't ready to discuss Haren proposals until there's a Santana resolution, while Baltimore owner Peter Angelos is believed to be averse to trading Bedard to the Mets (assuming the O's can't sign him to an extension) because of the fleecing of John Maine and Jorge Julio for Kris Benson in their previous dealings.

Minaya never felt like he was close to striking a deal at the winter meetings, noting that the discussions are more in a what-players-are-you-willing-to-trade phase than specific proposals getting exchanged. The Twins have made it seem like they have a five-year, $100 million offer out to Santana. But that's an inflated figure likely designed to make their fan base think the organization did everything it could to keep him, according to a source familiar with the negotiations.

As for Haren, A's GM Billy Beane said: "The conception coming in here was that we were shopping guys, which is not the case. . . . We're always willing to do something creative. That being said . . . the term 'shopping' would be inappropriate for any of our players."

Meanwhile, Mets officials now are indicating they may even pass on bringing in a Livan Hernandez or Bartolo Colon-type pitcher, and instead just invite a couple of starting pitchers to spring training on unguaranteed deals to compete with young in-house candidates Mike Pelfrey, Philip Humber and Kevin Mulvey. There was plenty of praise for Mulvey and Double-A pitcher Bobby Parnell by other teams' scouts during the meetings, and the Mets won't rule out Mulvey winning the fifth starter's spot out of camp, as Pelfrey did last year and Brian Bannister and Tyler Yates have done in recent years.

The Mets did select a reliever in yesterday's Rule 5 draft - righthander Steven Register, who went 1-3 with a 4.03 ERA and 37 saves in 60 games at Double-A Tulsa. Register would have to remain with the big-league club for the entire season or he'd have to be offered back to Colorado. The Mets also signed catcher Raul Casanova to a minor-league contract. Casanova, 35, hit .253 in 29 games for Tampa Bay last season and would serve in a Mike DiFelice/Sandy Alomar Jr. role.

HOLIDAY CHEER: John Maine will play Santa for schoolchildren Tuesday at Shea, with Oliver Perez as his sidekick. David Wright played the part last year, snapping a string of performances - including by Kris Benson and John Franco - that served as a prelude to getting pushed out of the organization.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071206&content_id=2319841&vkey=news_nym&fext=.jsp&c_id=nym&partnered=rss_nym

NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The fascination Mets general manager Omar Minaya has about college relievers -- see Joe Smith and Chad Cordero -- played out to a degree in the Rule 5 Draft Thursday when the Mets selected a reliever from the roster of the Rockies' Double-A Tulsa affiliate. Right-hander Steve Register stands as the highest-profile addition the Mets made in four days at the Winter Meetings.

They took a modest chance -- they will pay the Rockies $50,000 cash for Register -- on the slender 24-year-old former Auburn closer who was selected in the third round of the 2004 First-Year Player Draft and spent his first three years as a professional starting in the Rockies' system.

The Mets are obligated to carry Register on their 25-man roster all season or offer him back to the Rockies for $25,000.

A pitcher with a modest velocity and a modest resume, Register "has a chance" to find work in the Mets' bullpen after leading the Double-A Texas League in saves (37) last season. He had a 1-3 record and a 4.03 ERA in 61 games and 58 innings, allowing 63 hits and 16 walks. He struck out 48. His three-year record as a starter was 19-28, while his ERA in 69 starts was 4.73.

Minaya said Register "throws his breaking ball for strikes. We like the way he competes."

The Rockies had left him unprotected even though they had a vacancy on the 40-player roster because they are hoping to add a big league reliever.

The Mets' Triple-A New Orleans affiliate also selected 24-year-old right-handed pitcher Garry Bakker, who was born in Suffern, N.Y., and resides in nearby Sloatsburg, from the White Sox organization in the Triple-A phase of the Draft. Bakker was rated the No. 1 high school player in New York by Baseball America in 2001.

Bakker had a 2-7 record and a 3.67 ERA in 31 games (11 starts) for Winston-Salem (Class A) of the Carolina League last season. In 83 1/3 innings, he allowed 79 hits and 45 walks and struck out 64. Bakker has a 13-16 record with 11 saves and a 4.60 ERA in 123 games in four years in the Minor Leagues.

• 9 months later...

Fuentes- 30 sv, 2.73 era. Guess we should have made the trade....:)

Archived