Jets sign WR to practice squad (place WR on IR)

jetsrule128

6 1 175

At Western Illinois

2006 (Senior season): Earned first-team all-Gateway honors as Western's leading receiver... totalled 58 catches, 738 yards and four touchdowns... averaged 12.7 yards per reception... averaged 67.1 yards per game... accounted for one-third of WIU’s receiving yards... had 100-yard games against Youngstown State (10 catches, 121 yards) and Northern Iowa (9 catches, 107 yards), and had 97-yard games against Western Kentucky and Southern Illinois... in conference games, ranked first in receptions and second in receiving yards... had an 18-yard rushing touchdown against Illinois State... finished career as WIU’s fourth-leading receiver in both yards (1,661) and receptions (109)... earned third-team all-region honors from the Football Gazette.

2005 (Junior season): Led Western Illinois with 794 receiving yards, the eighth-highest single-season mark in school history... started all 11 games at split end... ranked third in Gateway at 72.2 yards per game... averaged a league-best 18.5 yards per catch... recorded four 100-yard games, including a career-best 181 yards on eight catches vs. Southern Illinois... averaged 86.6 yards per conference game, ranking second in the league... scored five receiving touchdowns... caught a pair of touchdown passes at Stephen F. Austin... set a school record with a 98-yard touchdown reception from Steve LaFalce at Illinois State... caught a career-high nine passes against Missouri State... enters the season having caught a pass in 12 straight games... named to the honorable mention Gateway All-Conference Team.

2004 (Sophomore season): Recorded seven receptions for 152 yards with two touchdowns... recorded a personal best 64 yard reception against Hampton for his first touchdown of the season... also recorded a touchdown on a 29-yard reception against Quincy.

2003 (Redshirt-Freshman season): Caught one pass for seven yards against Northern Iowa... saw action in nine games.

2002 (Freshman season): Redshirted

High School

Earned two letters in football as a quarterback... selected to play in the all-star game... named team MVP twice.. also lettered in basketball and track... was the city's number one runner in the 100-meter dash and placed second in the 200... was an A-B honor roll student.

Personal

Son of Michael Thomas and Vivian Anderson... born November 27, 1983... earned a bachelor's degree in summer 2006 in law enforcement and justice administration.

? I like Wallace Wright. For what he is. I just don't understand how you can make this comment based upon 3 catches.

I saw him warm up in Miami, and watched him pretty close throughout that same game. Those three catches you speak of did not include any drops.

IMO, if you are an NFL WR and have multiple drops, including drops for game winning scores (j-mac in balt, Smith against Pitt), you are not and NFL WR. My only point is, Smith is terrible, and needs to be benched. Enough fiddling around with that bum, he can't catch, give wright a shot.

At least, in wrights three catches, he hasn't given me a reason to think he sucks.

Three-year starter and All-Conference selection as a senior after leading the team with 58/738/4. Junior totals were 43/794/5.

Pos:

Slender, reliable pass-catcher effective running after the reception. Quick releasing off the line, finds the clearing on the field and adjusts well. Effectively uses the sidelines, displays good eye/hand coordination and body catches when necessary. Uses his frame to protect the pass and stays focused, looking the ball into his hands.

Neg:

Choppy route runner who slows into breaks. Lacks strong hands and loses out in battles. Does not possess the top-end speed to beat defenders deep.

I saw him warm up in Miami, and watched him pretty close throughout that same game. Those three catches you speak of did not include any drops.

IMO, if you are an NFL WR and have multiple drops, including drops for game winning scores (j-mac in balt, Smith against Pitt), you are not and NFL WR. My only point is, Smith is terrible, and needs to be benched. Enough fiddling around with that bum, he can't catch, give wright a shot.

At least, in wrights three catches, he hasn't given me a reason to think he sucks.

No drops in warm-ups is not exactly impressive. Brad Smith is a project. That's not news, but as Bit said, WW looked like he didn't know where he was at least once last week. Neither one is a great option as a starter, but I'll take my chances with Smith for now.

No drops in warm-ups is not exactly impressive. Brad Smith is a project. That's not news, but as Bit said, WW looked like he didn't know where he was at least once last week. Neither one is a great option as a starter, but I'll take my chances with Smith for now.

i agree with you on the warm ups issue, but we already know smith flat out, cannot catch the damn ball. Not sure how many times you can keep going to a bad player before it becomes the coache's fault for those drops. I for one, am ready to see some one else get some chances at catching the ball.

IMO, smith cannot, and will not cut it in the NFL was a WR. If we keep him on special teams, that's fine, but please, no more passes to smith.

i agree with you on the warm ups issue, but we already know smith flat out, cannot catch the damn ball. Not sure how many times you can keep going to a bad player before it becomes the coache's fault for those drops. I for one, am ready to see some one else get some chances at catching the ball.

IMO, smith cannot, and will not cut it in the NFL was a WR. If we keep him on special teams, that's fine, but please, no more passes to smith.

I don't agree that he can't catch. He's made some bad plays, but I've seen him make some good grabs and display that he has good hands. Once a project is not always a project. As for drops, I don't know where they keep the stats, but before last year I'm pretty sure ocho cinco led the league for 2 or 3 years consecutive and check the other thread to see what the board thinks about that one.

Archived