Round 2...Yanks and Twins at it again?

NIGHT STALKER

Enough of this. He will be available in June for a pack of breath mints.

Why?

What if the Twins are contending? The price to pry him away might be a hell of alot more.

What if there are two big market teams struggling? Price war.

As an example, what is on June 1st, 2008 the Yankees are 12.5 games out of first again?

If the Twins decide to keep him and let him hit FA, then you are competing with all the big markets.

Short of his arm falling off, he is going to cost you a package of players.

The twins will know he will walk away for good at the end of the season. They will be out of the race in their division, and this guy's price will go way down. That's not even speculating on whether his numbers will be down like last year. I would not make this trade at all right now if I were the Yankees.

The twins will know he will walk away for good at the end of the season. They will be out of the race in their division, and this guy's price will go way down. That's not even speculating on whether his numbers will be down like last year. I would not make this trade at all right now if I were the Yankees.

If the Yankees were bidding against themselves, like with A-Rod, that would be one thing.

However, the Twins still hold a good amount of leverage.

If the Twins are out of their division race and looking to move him, they can still get a good harvest of players for him. Do you think if the Yankees make overtures that the Sox will not get involved if for no other reason then to drive up the price? How many contenders might be struggling and have injuries to their rotations (like the Yankees last year) and need a quick infusion of talent? If the Twins are serious about moving him, that could suggest Liriano is healthy, if your 1-2 are Santana and Liriano, you can be contenders.

Look at their division. Nuff said. They will contend for nothing and get the people of that town back to watching bad baseball. Teams like this disgust me. They pocket the revenue sharing money and make themselves richer. Sad to see that happen to a city that has won championships.

Look at their division. Nuff said. They will contend for nothing and get the people of that town back to watching bad baseball. Teams like this disgust me. They pocket the revenue sharing money and make themselves richer. Sad to see that happen to a city that has won championships.

The pittance they get from baseball is going to make a difference how?

If they spend the money on team salaries and become better, they will reduce their future revenue sharing payments. It is not like Bud cuts a check for 20 million every year for the Twins. The better they do, the more people go to their games, the more revenue they generate and less they receive from the league.

This is not the NFL were all teams receive the same amount of cash and are limited to how much they can spend. In the end, the 10 or so million the Twins receive will not allow them to keep Johan because he will put people int he seasts and decrease their future payments. Unless the Yankees and Sox divided some of their TV money from stations they own, then their might be a residual affect. otherwise, George will fork over 60 million a year so he can keep 90% of the teams from being able to afford the top 10 percent of the players.

I'm sure someone is gonna bump this post to laugh at how wrong I was but I don't want santana. I'd rather keep hughes and kennedy.

Same here. Even if in 2008, Santana is way better than Hughes. In future years, keeping the 3 kids will be to the Yankees advantage.

If the Yankees were bidding against themselves, like with A-Rod, that would be one thing.

However, the Twins still hold a good amount of leverage.

If the Twins are out of their division race and looking to move him, they can still get a good harvest of players for him. Do you think if the Yankees make overtures that the Sox will not get involved if for no other reason then to drive up the price? How many contenders might be struggling and have injuries to their rotations (like the Yankees last year) and need a quick infusion of talent? If the Twins are serious about moving him, that could suggest Liriano is healthy, if your 1-2 are Santana and Liriano, you can be contenders.

The Tigers and Indians both have markedly better lineups then the Twins. Especially the Tigers.

Both those teams also have solid guys at the top of their rotation. Verlander, followed by that strange guy, Rogers, and Bonderman. Carmona and CC is a nice start for the Tribe.

Bottom line: I doubt the Twins are within 12 games of the WC by July 1st.

Archived