Joe Thomas

DMaynard

I watched some of the Browns/Bengals game today and really studied this guy. I don't know how he played the entire game or has been playing this season, but while I watched him today I thought I was watching an All Pro LT who has been in the league 5 years. He even made one block I haven't seen since John Hannah played. On a pass play, the opposing DE made an inside move and Thomas easily shifted his weight to his right and blocked him with his right side. At the same time a LB came blitzing in on his outside. There was no other Brown to block him, but the LB did not take enough of an outside route, allowing Thomas to throw his left shoulder into him, WHILE STILL MAINTAINING HIS BLOCK ON THE DE!!!. He looked like a combination of Mr. Fantastic and the Thing. Just incredible awareness, poise and strength for a rookie LT.

Now I am not posting this to blame Tangini for drafting D'Brick, who certainly is struggling. I doubt if any other GM in the league would have drafted anyone other than D'Brick in that spot if they needed a LT as badly as the Jets needed. And don't say McNeil. He was high risk at that spot with a potentially cronic back situation. It just seemed the Jets, as a franchise, will always be destined to draft a D'Brick and somebody else gets a Joe Thomas.

I watched some of the Browns/Bengals game today and really studied this guy. I don't know how he played the entire game or has been playing this season, but while I watched him today I thought I was watching an All Pro LT who has been in the league 5 years. He even made one block I haven't seen since John Hannah played. On a pass play, the opposing DE made an inside move and Thomas easily shifted his weight to his right and blocked him with his right side. At the same time a LB came blitzing in on his outside. There was no other Brown to block him, but the LB did not take enough of an outside route, allowing Thomas to throw his left shoulder into him, WHILE STILL MAINTAINING HIS BLOCK ON THE DE!!!. He looked like a combination of Mr. Fantastic and the Thing. Just incredible awareness, poise and strength for a rookie LT.

Now I am not posting this to blame Tangini for drafting D'Brick, who certainly is struggling. I doubt if any other GM in the league would have drafted anyone other than D'Brick in that spot if they needed a LT as badly as the Jets needed. And don't say McNeil. He was high risk at that spot with a potentially cronic back situation. It just seemed the Jets, as a franchise, will always be destined to draft a D'Brick and somebody else gets a Joe Thomas.

Joe Thomas was utterly dominant last week too, against the Jets.

I don't know if he'll be a great OL the rest of his career, but in one season he has showed why the Browns took him with a top 5 pick. DBrick on the other hand has showed that the Jets could have taken him in the 4th round. He's a disappointment to me so far. If he was a 4th round pick, he's be a decent avg OL. But the 4th pick in the draft and the guy still is avg after 2 years in the NFL, I'm sorry but I really don't want to see the Jets waste another top 5 pick on an OL.

Joe Thomas was utterly dominant last week too, against the Jets.

That doesn't surprise me. I had the luxury of really studying him today, because I had no interest in the game. Now that I think of it, I don't remember K. Coleman's name being called much.

I don't know if he'll be a great OL the rest of his career, but in one season he has showed why the Browns took him with a top 5 pick. DBrick on the other hand has showed that the Jets could have taken him in the 4th round. He's a disappointment to me so far. If he was a 4th round pick, he's be a decent avg OL. But the 4th pick in the draft and the guy still is avg after 2 years in the NFL, I'm sorry but I really don't want to see the Jets waste another top 5 pick on an OL.

The really strange thing is, he has been horrible on pass protection, when all of the scouting reports thought he would excel at that immediately and possibly take awhile to improve his run blocking.

The problem I have with DBrick is that he's a safe pick. Nobody is going to really call him a bust because OL aren't busts unless they are out of the NFL in a year or two or they really really suck so bad that it's national media headlines how bad they suck.

DBrick can be avg and nobody will really complain. But if a guy like Vince Young, Reggie Bush, Jay Cutler, Matt Leinart are avg, they are called busts. That's why I see an OL with the top 5 pick as being a safe pick. Most fans nor the media will call OL busts. THey make excuses, they make up stories, or they say it takes time to develop, yet a top 5 QB or RB is a bust after one season.

THere is a reason why the Jets never seem to win and it always seems to be they go for guys like Jake Long instead of guys like McFadden.

I dont think you can use that as a faar argument, considering neither have even gotten into the NFL yet. Id put it more like we go for guys like Dewayne Robertson, instead of Terrell Suggs.

I'd agree with you there. DRobb is far more of a bust than DBrick at this point. It just seems regardless of regime, they always pick the same kind of players. Is there some kind of NY Jets Manual or "How to pick player Guide"

every new regime has to read or something.

I'd agree with you there. DRobb is far more of a bust than DBrick at this point. It just seems regardless of regime, they always pick the same kind of players. Is there some kind of NY Jets Manual or "How to pick player Guide"

every new regime has to read or something.

If there is, Steve Gutman wrote it.

I dont think you can use that as a faar argument, considering neither have even gotten into the NFL yet. Id put it more like we go for guys like Dewayne Robertson, instead of Terrell Suggs.

Hey, it is easy to second guess. I appreciate the fact that he is telling us ahead of time they should not draft Long. :P

you can't play 3-4 without a NG. haloti ngatta was sitting there at 4 and is still the perfect fit for this defense. this defense is a NG and a pass rusher away from being dominant and they passed on the NG when they had the chance.

Hey, it is easy to second guess. I appreciate the fact that he is telling us ahead of time they should not draft Long. :P

I would rather the Jets not draft Jake Long. Hey I could be wrong and the kid becomes great, but from what I've seen as a Michigan fan, he seems more Dbrick than Thomas or Pace.

Archived