darkest moment of being a jets fan

johnny green balls

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was just reading this thread, and the scary part is I can remember almost ALL of those sad moments post-'83 Mudbowl. 1987 playoffs I VAGUELY remember cause i was only seven at the time. Anyway, I'm not gonna re-hash all of those bad moments, in fact I'll give you two more. The first is in 1994, and we had just endured the "fake spike" game, and were up in Foxboro the following week (12-4-94). We lost that game 24-13, but what really signaled the end of that season for me (in my youth, I was 100% confident that the fake spike wasn't a nail in our playoff coffin) was a NE wr, I wanna say Vincent Brisby, catches a ball over the middle where our FS is Ronnie Lott, and instead of getting crushed, he bounces off of a Lott hit and stands above him and let's Lott know about it. I know Lott was at the end at that time, but seeing one of my personal favorites in such a helpless position while playing for my favorite team and just seeing us dying slowly that day, it finally set in that the season was officially over.

The second is the day the Houston Texans selected a then top flight Aaron Glenn in the expansion draft. The fact that we lost him for nothing, he was still one of the top cover men in the league, and I just saw my favorite all time Jet gone was truly deflating. On top of that we also lost Victor Green to FA, so the next season we replace those two with Aaron Beasly and Sam Garnes, respectively (hooray). The Green move I can understand, the Glenn one is still inexcusable to this very day. Only now have we truly replaced him with the drafting of Revis.

The second is the day the Houston Texans selected a then top flight Aaron Glenn in the expansion draft. The fact that we lost him for nothing, he was still one of the top cover men in the league, and I just saw my favorite all time Jet gone was truly deflating. On top of that we also lost Victor Green to FA, so the next season we replace those two with Aaron Beasly and Sam Garnes, respectively (hooray). The Green move I can understand, the Glenn one is still inexcusable to this very day. Only now have we truly replaced him with the drafting of Revis.

It's worse than you say. Maybe you were little, but we all knew the Texans were picking Glenn. It was in the papers for weeks. The Jets left Glenn and Marcus Coleman unprotected to get rid of their big contracts. To ensure that the Texans took them they also left Ryan Young a promising tackle with a small contract unprotected. That's how they gutted a good secondary to get some "cover 2" run support corners.

you know I have gotta say this season was just really bad for me. From opening day to yesterday the Jets brought me nothing but absolute misery.

I don't know if it was the darkest. 1996 was god awful. Losing to the Browns in 86 and Miami in 82 was really bad but this team took so many steps back this year is was depressing.

Maybe with time it will pass but right now being a Jets fan just flat out sucks.

I was in Dublin watching the game at some sports bar that had satellite in Temple Bar and the way that team fell apart in the second half was devestating. That was as close as the Jets have gotten in decades and they HAD IT.

When Blake Spence blocked that punt and Curtis ran it in the next play to make it 10-0, I really thought the Jets were going to win.

Then the wheels came off...Curtis did NOTHING. Everybody forgot how to hang onto the ball. It was just such a letdown the way they fell apart.

As great a team that Bronco team was, the Jets HAD THAT GAME. They just imploded. The pressure just proved to be too much.

Still such a total bummer.

I was just reading this thread, and the scary part is I can remember almost ALL of those sad moments post-'83 Mudbowl. 1987 playoffs I VAGUELY remember cause i was only seven at the time. Anyway, I'm not gonna re-hash all of those bad moments, in fact I'll give you two more. The first is in 1994, and we had just endured the "fake spike" game, and were up in Foxboro the following week (12-4-94). We lost that game 24-13, but what really signaled the end of that season for me (in my youth, I was 100% confident that the fake spike wasn't a nail in our playoff coffin) was a NE wr, I wanna say Vincent Brisby, catches a ball over the middle where our FS is Ronnie Lott, and instead of getting crushed, he bounces off of a Lott hit and stands above him and let's Lott know about it. I know Lott was at the end at that time, but seeing one of my personal favorites in such a helpless position while playing for my favorite team and just seeing us dying slowly that day, it finally set in that the season was officially over.

The even scarier part is I probably have all those games on tape or dvd. :bag:

It's worse than you say. Maybe you were little, but we all knew the Texans were picking Glenn. It was in the papers for weeks. The Jets left Glenn and Marcus Coleman unprotected to get rid of their big contracts. To ensure that the Texans took them they also left Ryan Young a promising tackle with a small contract unprotected. That's how they gutted a good secondary to get some "cover 2" run support corners.

Actually, I was 21 when the Texans selected Glenn, and maybe I worded my thoughts wrong, because I knew leading up to the draft they had left both corners exposed and the two reasons why (get rid of contracts and to replace them with CBs for the "Cover II" system). I honestly forgot about it being in the papers and the part with Ryan Young because I was in Rhode Island in college at the time.

Archived