Pirates could have players that interest Yanks-and Red Sox

faba

Pirates Notebook: GM says Pirates likely to be sellers

Monday, July 04, 2005

By Dejan Kovacevic, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

MINOR-LEAGUE REPORT

Saturday's results

INDIANAPOLIS (47-35) won at Louisville, 8-4. Hansel Izquierdo (1-0, 3.52) allowed one run and five hits in six innings. Jeff Miller (3.02) pitched two scoreless innings of relief. CF Chris Duffy (.309) went 3 for 5 with a double, triple, his 14th stolen base and four RBIs. 3B Ty Wigginton (.250) had two hits and two RBIs.

ALTOONA (43-37) lost at New Hampshire, 5-0. Tom Gorzelanny (4-3, 3.41) allowed five runs, four earned, in 4 2/3 innings.

LYNCHBURG (47-34) at Wilmington, 3-2. Wardell Starling (6-5, 3.91) allowed one run and seven hits in seven innings. 3B Avelino Asprilla (.252) and CF Vic Buttler (.216) each had two hits and an RBI.

HICKORY (28-47) lost at Savannah, 2-1. Yoann Torrealba (2.55) allowed one run and five hits in seven innings. CF Pedro Powell (.280) had a hit and three walks.

WILLIAMSPORT (6-6) lost to Hudson Valley, 7-6. Derek Antelo (1-2, 2.70) allowed four runs, one earned, in 5 1/3 innings. 1B Steve Pearce (.306) hit his first home run and had four RBIs.

BRADENTON (5-3) beat the Red Sox, 3-2. Bladimil Hernandez (2.25) allowed one run in five innings. CF Andrew McCutcheon (.286) singled, walked twice and scored a run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MILWAUKEE -- Three weeks ago yesterday, the day after the Pirates reached .500, general manager Dave Littlefield said he was unsure if he would be a buyer or seller at the trading deadline. He wanted to see if the team would stay strong enough to merit making a deal for immediate help.

The 5-15 record since then has provided an emphatic answer, it would appear.

"I would say that the position of whether or not we are more oriented toward being a buyer or seller certainly has changed in that we'd have to be more oriented to being a seller," Littlefield said yesterday. "But, as I've stated many times, most of our trading is done."

By that he meant the Pirates do not have nearly as many salaries to clear or veterans on one-year contracts as in the past.

"We've got a younger club and have most of our players under control for the next few years. But we do have a couple of players who are in the last year of their contracts."

Among those whose future with the Pirates is uncertain in advance of the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline are:

Outfielder Matt Lawton, who can be a free agent after this season.

Closer Jose Mesa, who has a $4 million club option for next season.

Starter Mark Redman, who has informed the Pirates he will exercise his right to reject a $4.95 million option for next season. If that happens, he would become a free agent, but he said last week his preference is to sign an extension to remain in Pittsburgh.

Littlefield acknowledged some measure of urgency to determining Redman's status. He has had preliminary talks with Redman's agent, Casey Close, and he reiterated yesterday the Pirates' wish to keep Redman.

"I don't know if there's a specific drop-dead date for when we can find out about that, but we have a general concept," Littlefield said. "Obviously, he's said some things where he'd like to stay, and we'd like to have him stay. But those are things that have to be negotiated."

Littlefield's stance for the type of player he would like to acquire has not changed, he said, even with the team's swoon. He covets someone who can help the major-league team immediately, though he has not ruled out prospects.

Lawton in centerfield for Yanks and Mesa as bullpen help for the Red Sox are two possibilities with Pirates looking for young prospects

Since the Pirates have a better chance of contending than the Yankees...should the title of this thread be reversed?

Now, faba, go do some research and tell me which Pittsburgh prospects are available for Hideki Matsui and Garroid Sheffield?

Actually forget the latter, youre stuck with Garroid and his $13 mil per year ever since he opened his big fat mouth last week.

Since the Pirates have a better chance of contending than the Yankees...should the title of this thread be reversed?

Now, faba, go do some research and tell me which Pittsburgh prospects are available for Hideki Matsui and Garroid Sheffield?

Actually forget the latter, youre stuck with Garroid and his $13 mil per year ever since he opened his big fat mouth last week.

at one point in time your posts were interesting. it seems with each yankee win and red sox loss you become more and more of a douche. enough with the same post over and over again, your act is tired and old.

your act is tired and old.

Are you talking to me...or Randy Johnson? Or Bernie Williams? or Kevin Brown? Or Bam-Tino? Or Giamboo? Or Whore-hey Posada? Or Tony Womack? Or the Yankee fans crying for Mel S to be fired...like he is the problem? Or the Yankee fans clammoring for george to make a trade for this guy and that guy to save the hapless season of '05?

I guess you know old and tired when you see it.

Aside from the fact that Lawton isn't even batting .280, he's also what? 34 years old? No thanks. Plus, our problem is not the CF position, it's the STARTING PITCHING. Bernie Williams and Bubba Crosby will be fine in CF for this season, leave it the hell alone and if you wanna address CF with free agency, wait until the off-season.

Starting Pitching, that is what we need, not bats or gloves in the outfield.

I like Mark Redman, but if the dudes gonna be a free agent after this year, why bother giving up prospects for him (assuming thats what the buttpirates would like)

Too bad Craig Wilson is on the DL. He'd be interesting player in a trade.

Archived