Why does Womack swing for the fences?

Barton

This guy should just hit some groundballs and try to beat out the play. He certainly can beat it out. If I was Torre I'd have this guy bunt half the time and hope for the best. Because he cannot fricking hit a baseball into the gaps for his life! Either that, or just make him a fulltime pinch runner.

I'd rather take my chances with a 20 year old kid {Melky Cabrera} in CF than this ZERO

Anyone who thinks Cabrera could be WORSE than Womack is kidding themsleves ... it's impossible to be worse than Womack ... Womack is the bottom of the barrel

Ham...

I agree that it would be hard to hit less. But think about Cabrera's future. Not everyone is ready at that age, it is rare.

If they bring him up and he fails he may never recover from it.

Ham...

I agree that it would be hard to hit less. But think about Cabrera's future. Not everyone is ready at that age, it is rare.

Max, I view this as the Marvin & Mo situation the year before they got sacked ... Womack may have been a decent player at one time, but that ship has sailed ... too me it is crystal clear that this cat is toast

Much as a argued that season that we should sack Marvin and Mo and plug in some kids who cannot possibly do worse, I would make the same arguement here

Lastly, you are correct ... the one danger is you can damage this kids confidence if he proves unready ... I know that has happened before ... but IMO if this kid is a Genuine talent, he will eventually rebound if he's called up and needs to be sent back down ... it didn't kill Mantle or Mays, or so many other Genuine talents, and it won't kill this kid either if he has THE RIGHT STUFF

If it works out that way, he wouldn't be the first kid to get the call too soon and then get sent back down ... it's happened to many a great player

And if he plays well {which is also possible and wouldn't be unprecedented}, WE'RE SET

JMO

I agree ham.

If Melky is truly gonna be a good player in this league, he'd find a way to rebound if he struggled at first.

Look at Hank Blaylock for an example. He was a HOT prospect few years ago, he gets called up and struggles BIG TIME. Gets shipped back to the minors, retools his mechanics and whatnot, starts tearing up the minors again, returns to the major leagues soon after and since then he has been the best hitting 3rd baseman in the game (aside from Arod).

If Melky is destined for great things, early struggles should not effect him. If it does, well then, he was just not meant to be a player in the Big Apple.

Ham...

on his first day in the Bronx i would tell melky that all he is there to do is catch the ball in the OF and not even worry about hitting. take all of the pressure off and set realistic expectations. you can't fail if there aren't any expectations. just need defense. he will be in NY on or before sept 1.

on his first day in the Bronx i would tell melky that all he is there to do is catch the ball in the OF and not even worry about hitting. take all of the pressure off and set realistic expectations. you can't fail if there aren't any expectations. just need defense. he will be in NY on or before sept 1.

Gotta bring him up BEFORE Sept. 1 ... otherwise he cannot be on the post season roster if we make it

Womack has been a team player, the consummate professional. He did what Torree asked and never complainted about it. He is a 2b\leadoff hitter.

They made him hit elsewhwere and play the OF ?

The reason the Yankees are losing is because Womack isn't leading off. Cano? Nice kid cmon but he doesn't have the talent of Tony.

Joe needs to wake up and make Tony the focul point of this lnienup . once he does that , hte winning will begin !

Anyone who doesn't see Tony as this is wrong. Next year, mark my words. All Star team.

... it's impossible to be worse than Womack ... Womack is the bottom of the barrel

Womack has been a team player, the consummate professional. He did what Torree asked and never complainted about it.

Ok. Stop right there?

Do you know what you're talking about?

Womack bitched about being an outfielder just the other day saying "oh, I'm a 2nd baseman, not an outfielder"

If the Yankees could unload his worthless ass, it would have been done weeks ago.

Robinson Cano actually uses his talents. Womack is a waste of a perfectly good locker.

Archived