New Defensive Coordinator...4-3 Next Season?

Nick Ferraro

no...he didn't. He played de in the 3-4. in the 4-3 he played dt. much different than olb. he would be exclusively a defensive tackle in the 4-3.

You're telling me Kenyon Coleman recorded 83 tackles as an everyday down lineman this year?

Yes it is. But it shows that we're not too far from being a pretty good 3-4 defense. It usually takes a team 3-4 years to make the switch and the Jets seem to be right on track.

I agree that we are few CHOICE pieces away from being a respectable 3-4, and this is the path we should stay on.

The Jets are on the right path to becoming a good 3-4 team, lets see what they do this offseason on defense. I dont think they will do much, but I'm interested to see if that trade Vilma or if they move him outside. I think Robertson had a very good second half of the season and I dont think they will move him, but we could use more depth there. If the defense played the 2nd half of the season like the first then we would probably be sitting here at 7-9

A well executed 3-4 D > A well executed 4-3 D IMO

I'm not so sure about that, I think a well executed either one is clearly better than a crappily executed counterpart though. The draw of the 3-4 is supposed to be that it allows for more scheming, and generally is more salary-cap friendly. It works for a BB, but Mangini has not proven that he has that. Honestly Parcells hasn't been much without BB either. Hate the man all you want, but BB has proven that he can scheme up a dominant defense tailored to his opponents...I don't know if any other DC or HC can say it to that extent. So the 3-4 might only be best with BB..

You're telling me Kenyon Coleman recorded 83 tackles as an everyday down lineman this year?

I'm not sure how many tackles he had, but Coleman was the Jets best DL this year.

It a very good FA signing. If Thomas would hold up his contract, and get a few sacks, that side would be very strong.

This season Thomas was invisble.

My two cents...

Regardless of what scheme we go with the main thing we need to do is bring in a pass rusher who can pressure the quarterback so we dont need to rely on someone like Rhodes to blitz. We need a guy like Merriman in a 3-4 or Schoebel in a 4-3...someone who can generate a consistant pass rush without help...that will instantly improve our defense and make us much more dynamic.

I think the FO needs to address what defense we are going with and then make some decisions on guys like Vilma and D-Rob. D-rob is not a 3-4 guy unless youre going to have him be a BIG 3-4 DE who should stuff some runs to the outside. Im actually not as down on D-Rob as most are, he was brought in as a 4-3 DT and now is expected to take on 2 blockers and still does an alright job putting pressure on the QB, although hes lacking in run stopping. In a 4-3 with help from another DT I think he can be effective, he has definitely improved in the past 2 years and I would really like to see if that progression can translate well into his natural position of 4-3 DT.

Vilma/Harris is a little bit trickier. I am excited for Harris as much as anyone but the fact is Vilma is a FANTASTIC 4-3 MLB (assuming the injury hasnt slowed him down). I think Harris could play the outside in a 4-3 and be more effective than Hobson (who I think is a bum).

I think Ryan is brought in to keep up with the mixed 3-4/4-3 sytle D the Jets have been using the past 2 years. However, if the Jets don't bring in a NT they should forget about the 3-4 altogether...

Archived