New Defensive Coordinator...4-3 Next Season?

Nick Ferraro

You sure? I heard they were playing a 4-3 on the insistence of Al Davis, and that Ryan wanted to play the 3-4 but wasn't allowed to.

Al Davis wouldn't have any say in what the Jets play, so something tells me he plays what he wants here in NY :)

You're right if you count from the secondary forward. They went to the 4-3 two years ago.

This season they started Brayton, Sapp, Warren, and Burgess across the front.

Well I defer. I did not know they switched. I did know Ryan hs always been a 3-4 guy, which I'm sure he'll be here.

Why? What makes you think we'd be THAT much better in a 4-3??

The players we have, specifically our front 7 are designed for a 4-3 not a 3-4..not like that is news to anyone.

Create different packages for a 34 every once in a while to confuse the O..otherwise stay 43.

The players we have, specifically our front 7 are designed for a 4-3 not a 3-4..not like that is news to anyone.

Create different packages for a 34 every once in a while to confuse the O..otherwise stay 43.

Yeah, its news to me.

How is our front 7 better with a 4-3?

Drob? Sucks either way.

Ellis-slightly better 4-3

Bthomas slightly better 3-4

Harris- did very well in the 3-4 this year

Coleman - Better in 3-4

Hobson - Better in 3-4

Barton - Who Cares?

Yeah, its news to me.

Drob? Sucks either way.

Coleman - Better in 3-4

Hobson - Better in 3-4

Barton - Who Cares?

D-Rob, Pouha would work fine in the 4-3..D-Rob showed promise towards the end of the 4-3 era.

Vilma is a beast in the 4-3, as was Ellis. RE needs to be drafted this year, move Coleman to OLB with Thomas.

In case you've missed it..we get 0 pressure on QB's in the 3-4.

D-Rob, Pouha would work fine in the 4-3..D-Rob showed promise towards the end of the 4-3 era.

Vilma is a beast in the 4-3, as was Ellis. RE needs to be drafted this year, move Coleman to OLB with Thomas.

In case you've missed it..we get 0 pressure on QB's in the 3-4.

Ellis isnt exactly a beast. Hes had 1 good year (7 sacks I believe) on his contract year.

other then that he ws never much more then a 2-3 sack per season guy.

The thing is we have no pass rushers on the front 7, so it doesnt really matter what scheme we're in, which is why I want to draft Gholston. I actually think we're better off in the 3-4.

Oh, and good luck moving Coleman ( 6'4 295 lbs) to OLB, lol.

You sure? I heard they were playing a 4-3 on the insistence of Al Davis, and that Ryan wanted to play the 3-4 but wasn't allowed to.

If this is true BP it looks to me like we'll stick with the 3-4 I would think. I sure wish we had a NT here in order to make it work. Is he bringing along a NT Oakland to help us out? :)

Yeah, its news to me.

Drob? Sucks either way.

Coleman - Better in 3-4

Hobson - Better in 3-4

Barton - Who Cares?

How do you know this? Based on what knowledge? I think D'Rob would do great as a pure DT in a 4-3 scheme. Interesting also how you left Vilma out of your equation. :-k

How do you know this? Based on what knowledge? I think D'Rob would do great as a pure DT in a 4-3 scheme. Interesting also how you left Vilma out of your equation. :-k

If we switch to a 4-3 then where would you put Vilma???

OLB??

Make him the starter at MLB and move Harris to the outside???

My point is switching to the 4-3 would have one of those 2 playing out of position.

OLB??

My point is switching to the 4-3 would have one of those 2 playing out of position.

I hear you IJ and you make a very good point. I've always have been a 4-3 guy. I just think it generates a hell of a lot more pressure on the QB and that's how you win FB games. Look at how Brady picked apart every team in the league this year, he had all day to throw. Being a 4-3 guy I never would have drafted Harris in the 1st place. With the Jets draft the last 2 years I think they're pretty rigid about staying with the 3-4. In that case Vilma would almost have to go, sadly. His talents are wasted here.

Harris>Vilma IMO, meaning Vilma is not much more than trade bait at this point.

And I know that Drob sucks at both because since we drafted him in 03, hes played 3 years in the 4-3 and 2 in the 3-4, he's yet to earn his salary, or even come close to that.

I hear you IJ and you make a very good point. I've always have been a 4-3 guy. I just think it generates a hell of a lot more pressure on the QB and that's how you win FB games. Look at how Brady picked apart every team in the league this year, he had all day to throw. Being a 4-3 guy I never would have drafted Harris in the 1st place. With the Jets draft the last 2 years I think they're pretty rigid about staying with the 3-4. In that case Vilma would almost have to go, sadly. His talents are wasted here.

What I like about getting Rob Ryan is that hopefully he can produce a lot of different looks defensively just like his brother Rex and father Buddy Ryan have become famous for. Remember the pressure the Ravens D (Co-ordinated by Rex Ryan) was able to get onto Brady?? Obviously we don't have the same talent the Ravens do defensively but hopefully getting Ryan can at least mean some more complex line ups and more blitzing. We do have some talent defensively which I felt Sutton really failed to utilize (especially Rhodes). I'm not sure where Vilma will fit into this D if he does stay, that's why I think he'll be gone too.

D-Rob hasn't exactly flourished as a 4-3 DT in the past...what makes you think he'll do so this time around? We'll still be at the same spot in having to probably move Vilma as Harris is going to have to play MLB. Thomas has at least been better in the 3-4 although he wasn't this year. If the Jets get a NT, pass-rushing OLB/DE tweener, and an ILB to compliment Harris this offseason they could be a hell of a 3-4 defense next year.

Ellis isnt exactly a beast. Hes had 1 good year (7 sacks I believe) on his contract year.

other then that he ws never much more then a 2-3 sack per season guy.

The thing is we have no pass rushers on the front 7, so it doesnt really matter what scheme we're in, which is why I want to draft Gholston. I actually think we're better off in the 3-4.

Oh, and good luck moving Coleman ( 6'4 295 lbs) to OLB, lol.

He was used as a hybrid DE/OLB on Parcells D..why not here?

D-Rob hasn't exactly flourished as a 4-3 DT in the past...what makes you think he'll do so this time around? We'll still be at the same spot in having to probably move Vilma as Harris is going to have to play MLB. Thomas has at least been better in the 3-4 although he wasn't this year. If the Jets get a NT, pass-rushing OLB/DE tweener, and an ILB to compliment Harris this offseason they could be a hell of a 3-4 defense next year.

Yeah but that's a hell of a lotta IF'S there Brick. :biggrin:

What I like about getting Rob Ryan is that hopefully he can produce a lot of different looks defensively just like his brother Rex and father Buddy Ryan have become famous for. Remember the pressure the Ravens D (Co-ordinated by Rex Ryan) was able to get onto Brady?? Obviously we don't have the same talent the Ravens do defensively but hopefully getting Ryan can at least mean some more complex line ups and more blitzing. We do have some talent defensively which I felt Sutton really failed to utilize (especially Rhodes). I'm not sure where Vilma will fit into this D if he does stay, that's why I think he'll be gone too.

I was just watchin ESPN and they mentioned Rob Ryan probably getting canned this week and coming to the Jets. Let us pray. :cheers:

OLB??

No! No! No! You can't move Harris outside! That's where Coleman is playing, remember?

So, if they fill the two most important positions and add another starter they could be a hell of a 3-4? Don't forget to add the other cb and s where rejects play on a weekly basis.

The 3-4, with the proper players creates alot more pressure on the quarterback than the 4-3. I love the 3-4 for that very reason.

The 3-4, with the proper players creates alot more pressure on the quarterback than the 4-3. I love the 3-4 for that very reason.

Its hard to run outside against the 3-4, too, because the OLBs' primary responsibility is to 'seal the edge,' which Hobson and Thomas are both good at and which Vilma would completely suck at. Thomas and Hobson are adequate 3-4 OLBs but not great (though Thomas showed flashes last year). The D-line must clog running lanes, be disruptive and engage linemen so that the ILBs and SS can clean up.

Its hard to run outside against the 3-4, too, because the OLBs' primary responsibility is to 'seal the edge,' which Hobson and Thomas are both good at and which Vilma would completely suck at. Thomas and Hobson are adequate 3-4 OLBs but not great (though Thomas showed flashes last year). The D-line must clog running lanes, be disruptive and engage linemen so that the ILBs and SS can clean up.

A well executed 3-4 D > A well executed 4-3 D IMO

A well executed 3-4 D > A well executed 4-3 D IMO

I agree. I still have complete faith in Mangini as a football strategist. The guy knows what he's doing. My fear is that he is the Cleveland Browns version of BB - ie, too arrogant for his own good.

they have been a 4-3 team BP as the 3-4 was scrapped because Oakland wasn't suited for the 3-4 with their personell (sound familiar?)

Archived