Mangini talks with BILL CALLAHAN NY Daily News [MERGED]

Kentucky Jet

Eric Mangini talks to Bill Callahan

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:00 AM

Jets coach Eric Mangini interviewed former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan on Wednesday for an unspecified position on his coaching staff.

Callahan's area of expertise is the offensive line. The Jets' two line coaches, Tony Wise and Mike Devlin, are thought to be in trouble. Wise could become the line coach at Pitt. Mangini also may be looking to create a new position, a running-game coordinator, to bolster the team's 19th-rated rushing offense.

Callahan, Oakland's head coach in 2002 and 2003, helped build a formidable rushing attack in his years with the Raiders.

He could be a candidate for a position with Tampa Bay, where Jon Gruden is making changes on his offensive staff. Callahan and Gruden worked together in Oakland, making a reunion likely. Callahan was fired recently by the Cornhuskers.

Eric Mangini talks to Bill Callahan

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, January 10th 2008, 4:00 AM

Jets coach Eric Mangini interviewed former Nebraska coach Bill Callahan on Wednesday for an unspecified position on his coaching staff.

Callahan's area of expertise is the offensive line. The Jets' two line coaches, Tony Wise and Mike Devlin, are thought to be in trouble. Wise could become the line coach at Pitt. Mangini also may be looking to create a new position, a running-game coordinator, to bolster the team's 19th-rated rushing offense.

Callahan, Oakland's head coach in 2002 and 2003, helped build a formidable rushing attack in his years with the Raiders.

He could be a candidate for a position with Tampa Bay, where Jon Gruden is making changes on his offensive staff. Callahan and Gruden worked together in Oakland, making a reunion likely. Callahan was fired recently by the Cornhuskers.

ummm if EM hires this POS, then the wheels have officially fallen off the bus.

i don't think so. Some coaches just get in over their heads when they are the top dog (ray rhodes). Giving them a very specific task and about 10 players to work with is a heck of a lot different than having the whole team.

A change is needed on that O-line, i'm open for new coaches.

For whatever reason, i feel confident that our O-line will have a nice, new look to it next year. I see us getting a quality guard with a late second, or our early third.

i don't think so. Some coaches just get in over their heads when they are the top dog (ray rhodes). Giving them a very specific task and about 10 players to work with is a heck of a lot different than having the whole team.

A change is needed on that O-line, i'm open for new coaches.

For whatever reason, i feel confident that our O-line will have a nice, new look to it next year. I see us getting a quality guard with a late second, or our early third.

maybe Bugel will be avail from skins

I like this hire...if it goes though...we need a Oline coach and he has experience in the NFL. Just some guys aren't head coach material, and one of Mangini's early mistakes was in not bringing in men with greater experience than his own.

I like this hire...if it goes though...we need a Oline coach and he has experience in the NFL. Just some guys aren't head coach material, and one of Mangini's early mistakes was in not bringing in men with greater experience than his own.

I agee 100%

This would be a great hire!

Archived