My #1 Offseason Wish

Dear Tangini,

Please, PLEASE build this Offensive Line through the draft AND free agency so that not only the line is at the worst, solid, but that if we were to lose a lineman due to injury or free agency that there is an incumbnent waiting in the wings.

Please make sure that Run blocking is a key, top notch priority in finding said Offensive Lineman. This team has Thomas Jones, a 30 year old workhorse back who behind an at least decent Offensive Line will give you 1,200-1,400+ yards. How he managed 1,100 yards behind this seasons line is unthinkable. You have Leon Washington, who has the speed to elude defenders and make plays down the field. Please give him the ball more than 70+ times over the 16 game season. He saw the rock 150+ times in 2006 via the ground game, he should see the ball closer to 150 than 70 in 2008.

Dear Tangini, GET PEOPLE IN HERE AND ESTABLISH THE RUNNING GAME.

Dear Tangini,

Please, PLEASE build this Offensive Line through the draft AND free agency so that not only the line is at the worst, solid, but that if we were to lose a lineman due to injury or free agency that there is an incumbnent waiting in the wings.

Please make sure that Run blocking is a key, top notch priority in finding said Offensive Lineman. This team has Thomas Jones, a 30 year old workhorse back who behind an at least decent Offensive Line will give you 1,200+ yards. How he managed 1,100 yards behind this seasons line is unthinkable. You have Leon Washington, who has the speed to elude defenders and make plays down the field. Please give him the ball more than 70+ times over the 16 game season. He saw the rock 150+ times in 2006 via the ground game, he should see the ball closer to 150 than 70 in 2008.

Leon reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw. Leon has explosive speed and can make players miss, and hes a great KR and PR.

Leon reminds me of Ahmad Bradshaw. Leon has explosive speed and can make players miss, and hes a great KR and PR.

Here we go already! How could Leon remind you of Bradshaw? When Leons been in the league for 2 years and Bradshaws a ROOKIE!!!!!!!! It should be the other way around and personally i don't think they are alike at all! Leon is a scat back with explosiveness, Bradshaw is (or atleast will be) an every down back who can make a big play!

Here we go already! How could Leon remind you of Bradshaw? When Leons been in the league for 2 years and Bradshaws a ROOKIE!!!!!!!! It should be the other way around and personally i don't think they are alike at all! Leon is a scat back with explosiveness, Bradshaw is (or atleast will be) an every down back who can make a big play!

Leon has all the potential to be a guy who can carry the ball 20+ times a game.

Leon needs to be used more, it's that simple. Whether its carrying the ball 15+ times a game and getting some pass touches out of the back field. He has the potential to carry the ball 20+ times a game under and good offensive line.

He definately needs more touches but I really don't think he can handle 20+ carries a game. It would wear him down and take away from his explosiveness.

In the mddle of writing this. I looked up his stats he actually carried the ball 20+ times in 2 games last year.

Vs Jags 23- 101yds

Vs Det 20- 129yds

Maybe I'm wrong?

WTF is wrong with Mangini

He definately needs more touches but I really don't think he can handle 20+ carries a game. It would wear him down and take away from his explosiveness.

In the mddle of writing this. I looked up his stats he actually carried the ball 20+ times in 2 games last year.

Vs Jags 23- 101yds

Vs Det 20- 129yds

Maybe I'm wrong?

WTF is wrong with Mangini

thats pretty da** good also considering he isnt an every down runner. GIVE HIM THE BALL!!!!!!!!!

I personally would have rather drafted a bigger back and had him split time with leon, giving leon the bulk of the carries as opposed to getting TJ. Regardless, if miller comes back healthy, leon could see more touches on offense, hopefully. I love his explosiveness and to me is the only person i consider a "gamebreaker" on our offense, I love his playmacking ability.

Dear Tangini,

Please make sure that Run blocking is a key, top notch priority in finding said Offensive Lineman. This team has Thomas Jones, a 30 year old workhorse back who behind an at least decent Offensive Line will give you 1,200-1,400+ yards. How he managed 1,100 yards behind this seasons line is unthinkable. You have Leon Washington, who has the speed to elude defenders and make plays down the field. Please give him the ball more than 70+ times over the 16 game season. He saw the rock 150+ times in 2006 via the ground game, he should see the ball closer to 150 than 70 in 2008.

Great post man, thats the key to building up this team. The defence has always shown signs, so maybe(hopefully), if the offense could keep them off the field they'd play a lot better.

**Love the avatar...I remember that exact moment, and how I laughed hysterically

Dear Tangini,

YES!!

Two solid OLmen (OG and OT) along with 1 or 2 pass rushers on defense will go a long way towards making this team a real compettitor.

Is that ALL we need to become the next dynasty for the next 10 years? No. But if we can just focus on getting those types of players this year, we can focus on getting a better #2 CB and a better #1 WR and some DLmen down the road.

Great post man, thats the key to building up this team. The defence has always shown signs, so maybe(hopefully), if the offense could keep them off the field they'd play a lot better.

Exactly.

If this team can build the Offensive Line (wich is the No.1 key to building a successful offense) not only will Pennington, Clemens or whoever have more time to find Coles, Cotchery & hopefully a new, legitmate No.3 target, but the Jets can keep their weakest link (their Defensive front seven) off of the damn field.

Thomas Jones is still a bruising workhorse and I'm sorry, even though he only averaged 3.6 ypc, the fact that he stayed alive behind this pathetic makeshift Offensive Line and then scratched and clawed his way to 1,100+ yards is unbelieveable.

Oh, and lets say if Pennington does beat out Clemens for the starting job. A stronger Offensive Line and running game brings back his strongest situation: Play Action. As much as we all bash Chad here, he is simply one of the best at Play Action fakes. Get him a deep threat and they'd be even better. Once in a while Chad can find the strength to wing it 40 or 50 yards. It has happened before.

And you know what, if its not Chad, who gives a crap because that opens up the Play Action passing game for whoever is the starting Quarterback.

All and all, you win football games when you have a strong Offensive Line and strong running attack. The 2007 New England Patriots' passing offense is definitely rare, yes. BUT, when they have to go to the ground, they can, because Laurence Maroney runs hard and isn't easy to take down. They still have a 1,500 yard capable back in the backfiled when they need him.

Again, OLine and a running game help you build for success on the Offensive side of the ball. We had that when Herm was here. Too bad he could never improve the passing game.

124, I watched Thomas Jones with the rest of Jets fans this year. Nothing he did on the field was "unbelievable" this year, unless you consider it unbelievable that he still stutter-steps when there's little in front of him until there's absolutely nothing in front of him.

The rest of what you said I agree with.

As far as Leon getting the ball 20+ times a game or getting him labeled as "workhorse" or whatever. I agree he needs to touch the ball plenty more. But who gives a crap if a back gets 20+ touches a game? Since when does that mean your running game is better because one of the RB's touches the ball 20+ times?

This year in the superbowl there are two teams who both employ RBBC. Even when healthy, I don't think BB has given Maroney over 20 touches more than once all season. The Giants try to do that with Jacobs & they were rewarded with multiple injuries & then a clearly less-productive looking back by the time the playoffs came around so they've gone more to a full RBBC backfield. You go with the back that's more suited to the opponent, or your hot hand (if there's an obvious difference on the day), the healthier back (again, if there's an obvious difference), or a combination of all of the above. The teams that do this well

2007 - one of the teams who wins the SB will be a RBBC team

2006 - Indy was a RBBC team

2006 - Pittsburgh was a RBBC team

2004 - NE used Dillon for most carries, but pulled him plenty on 3rd downs for Faulk.

2003 - NE was a pure RBBC team

2002 - TB was a RBBC team

Does anyone see a pattern here at all? The days of slavishly giving one back all the carries to "get him warmed up" and assuming this is the road to a superbowl ring have come and gone. With a solid OL, there is enough RB talent around the league (with more coming out each year) to employ two of them, which - in addition to being a hedge against injury - keeps your RB's fresher late in the season. By the time a lone ("workhorse") back has reached the superbowl (if you make it that far), he easily has over 400 touches on the season.

I will never understand the infatuation with how many gross yards we should get out of a single RB beyond one's desire to feel confident in selecting a Jets RB for your FF team. 1200-1300 yards is good. But if it takes 350 carries to get it, then it sucks. Badly.

Archived