Rev. Al Sharpton says Roger Clemens should be treated like Barry Bonds

Lil Bit Special

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/02/17/2008-02-17_rev_al_sharpton_says_roger_clemens_shoul.html

The Rev. Al Sharpton says federal investigators probing Roger Clemens' alleged steroid use must hold the hurler to the same standards applied to slugger Barry Bonds.

"When I see a contrast between how you treat a Clemens and how you treat a Bonds, that is a civil rights issue," Sharpton said Saturday on his weekly radio show.

Sharpton - who seemed to downplay the harsh questioning of Clemens by several members of Congress - assailed those who "treated Roger Clemens like they were at a fan club meeting."

Clemens, in his appearance before a House committee last Wednesday, repeatedly denied using performance-enhancing drugs - echoing the claims of Bonds, baseball's all-time home run leader.

Bonds was indicted in November on charges of lying under oath about his steroid use. The same fate could await Clemens, as either he or trainer Brian McNamee must have lied during their sworn testimony in Washington.

Members of the committee that held the hearings said the Justice Department would determine whether Clemens would face a perjury rap.

"I'm not saying, 'Prosecute Clemens,'" Sharpton said. "I'm saying, 'Hold one standard.' If Bonds had to go to court, then Clemens or his trainer have to go to court."

Last week, lawyers for McNamee speculated that President Bush - whose father is a friend of the Rocket - could pardon the pitcher if he's convicted of perjury.

But Sharpton said Clemens' celebrity, his sterling statistics and his off-field endeavors shouldn't affect the decision to prosecute him.

"You have prosecuted Barry Bonds, and you did not say, 'Don't prosecute Bonds because he made the sport a lot of money,'" Sharpton said.

"You did not say, 'Don't prosecute Bonds because he gives a lot to charity,' which he does.

"When you are black, you are subjected to a different reality, and we are not going to be quiet."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/yankees/2008/02/17/2008-02-17_rev_al_sharpton_says_roger_clemens_shoul.html

The Rev. Al Sharpton says federal investigators probing Roger Clemens' alleged steroid use must hold the hurler to the same standards applied to slugger Barry Bonds.

"When I see a contrast between how you treat a Clemens and how you treat a Bonds, that is a civil rights issue," Sharpton said Saturday on his weekly radio show.

Sharpton - who seemed to downplay the harsh questioning of Clemens by several members of Congress - assailed those who "treated Roger Clemens like they were at a fan club meeting."

Clemens, in his appearance before a House committee last Wednesday, repeatedly denied using performance-enhancing drugs - echoing the claims of Bonds, baseball's all-time home run leader.

Bonds was indicted in November on charges of lying under oath about his steroid use. The same fate could await Clemens, as either he or trainer Brian McNamee must have lied during their sworn testimony in Washington.

Members of the committee that held the hearings said the Justice Department would determine whether Clemens would face a perjury rap.

"I'm not saying, 'Prosecute Clemens,'" Sharpton said. "I'm saying, 'Hold one standard.' If Bonds had to go to court, then Clemens or his trainer have to go to court."

Last week, lawyers for McNamee speculated that President Bush - whose father is a friend of the Rocket - could pardon the pitcher if he's convicted of perjury.

But Sharpton said Clemens' celebrity, his sterling statistics and his off-field endeavors shouldn't affect the decision to prosecute him.

"You have prosecuted Barry Bonds, and you did not say, 'Don't prosecute Bonds because he made the sport a lot of money,'" Sharpton said.

"You did not say, 'Don't prosecute Bonds because he gives a lot to charity,' which he does.

"When you are black, you are subjected to a different reality, and we are not going to be quiet."

So what else does the convicted tax-cheating, Federal Election- Commission-fined, slanderer with as per numerous depositions, jobless nonpayor of bills have to say?

Sharpton is a POS; so is Bonds, so is Clemens.

A client of mine who is a huge exterminator was solicited to do the pest removal from Sharpton's Brooklyn and Teaneck homes(he's on the deed of neither due to judgments he's ducking). He and everyone else is aware that the Routund Rev doesn't like to pay his bills. The job was $7,500.00. The Rev and his people(probably one harried jerkoff ducking bill collectors, collection agencies and angry vendors) wanted the work to be done ASAP without payment. My client politely explained given the Rev's reputation, he would need it all in cash upfront. At which point the Rev's people cursed him out. End of business relationship. I hope the rats bit Rev Al in the ass, but it would be cannibalism.

Although I can't stand Sharpton...I do agree with him on this, seems like Clemens gets a pass compared to Bonds IMO.

because there is real proof Bonds lied to a Grand Jury. Clemens is suspected of lying. The evidence against Clemens probably wont hold up in court. Needles from 8 years ago. McNamee saying he did something just isnt good enough.

but if they have hard evidence against Clemens that will hold up in court, expect him to be charged with perjury.

Archived