Moss and Culpepper a tandem for some team?

faba

Moss, Culpepper talk about reuniting via free agency

By John Clayton

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 2, 2008, 12:33 PM ET

Inside the Huddle: Moss-Culpepper Reunion?

With no deal close with the New England Patriots, Randy Moss continues to explore all options in his first professional exposure to free agency.

On Saturday night, he came up with an interesting idea. He reached out to Daunte Culpepper, his former quarterback with the Minnesota Vikings. The two former teammates discussed the possibility of finishing what they started in Minnesota on any NFL team interested, sources told ESPN.com.

Though their relationship ended a little rocky when Moss left the Vikings to go to the Raiders in a trade, Moss and Culpepper stayed in touch with each other and stayed friends. They joked that at some point they might be free agents at the same time and might have a chance to unite. As Moss spent his second day in unrestricted free agency Saturday, he started to think about Culpepper, who also is a free agent. What they had talked about for years all of a sudden was true.

Hashmarks

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley, Mike Sando and Pat Yasinskas are following the NFL free-agency frenzy and sharing their thoughts. Get the latest news from the always updated Hashmarks.

Don't necessarily confuse this as a package deal. It's an option for teams looking for a quarterback and a wide receiver and solving both needs at the same time.

At the age of 30, Moss has accomplished everything except getting a Super Bowl ring. He has been on the two highest scoring offensive teams in NFL history, one in Minnesota and last season in New England. He has 774 catches, 12,193 receiving yards and 124 touchdown receptions. He's been to six Pro Bowls.

It's a reflective time in his career. He's looked back on his accomplishments and his future.

He's also had a chance to reflect on his friendships, which prompted his call to Culpepper. They spent time on the phone Saturday night talking about the Vikings days and comparing notes on what they are hearing in free agency.

Culpepper

Moss

On Friday, Moss, while still in talks with the Patriots, started to listen to what other teams had to say about their interest in him. There is no word on how many teams contacted him and he has no visits scheduled yet. He's studying options. Moss can stay with the Patriots. He can move on to another team. He can reunite with Culpepper on another team.

Moss set an NFL record by catching 23 touchdown passes from Tom Brady this season. This will be his 11th season, but this is his first chance to study all options as a free agent.

John Clayton covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

Was about to post this myself..hypothetically, where would this actually happen if it did?

Baltimore?

Atlanta?

Chicago?

San Fran?

..I don't see many other places that have holes in both WR and QB needs, but I think of the three teams if Baltimore acquired them they would have the best chance of becoming contenders

Was about to post this myself..hypothetically, where would this actually happen if it did?

Baltimore?

Atlanta?

Chicago?

San Fran?

..I don't see many other places that have holes in both WR and QB needs, but I think of the three teams if Baltimore acquired them they would have the best chance of becoming contenders

If I was Chicago, I'd jump all over it! I'd say Atlanta, but they are more than 2 players away from anything!!

I wish the Jets would pull off a blockbuster like this. Go ahead and bash me but im tired of the norm.Culpepper to Moss TOUCHDOWN the Jets win the AFC Championship game.The Super Bowl is next.

I am curious to see how Chad Pennington will do with a revamped offensive line in 2008.

I wish the Jets would pull off a blockbuster like this. Go ahead and bash me but im tired of the norm.Culpepper to Moss TOUCHDOWN the Jets win the AFC Championship game.The Super Bowl is next.

I am curious to see how Chad Pennington will do with a revamped offensive line in 2008.

Ha Ha!! was waiting for ya on his one!!

If I got Randy Moss in the deal, I would take Dante Culpepper.

He sucks, but so does Chad Pennington. At least Culpepper can complete an out route.

I'd have to admit, it would be pretty interestin. Trade Penny, sign Moss and Culpep. there's the vet back up to Clemens if Clemens could beat out Culpep!

Baltimore?

Atlanta?

Chicago?

San Fran?

Don't forget to mention the Jets.

Daunte Culpepper is finished.

He has never been the same since his knee injury. I'd stay well away from him.

with a better team than Oakland I'm sure he would do good

remember that game against Miami where he combined for 5 TDs?? his knees looked fine

Culpeper with our improved offensive line, Randy Moss, Jerricho Cotchery, Chris Baker and Leon Washington would do just fine.

Ofcourse our FO won't do it.

nope their pussies :(

cotchery and moss, holy ****ing **** that would be the best tandem in Jets history

Archived