Justin Miller's Still Around on the Corner

TaborJet

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

Published: 03-10-08

Cornerback has been a position of interest among Jets followers, especially now that the spot in the secondary still hasn't been addressed after the team's blizzard of moves in the first week of free agency.

Justin Miller would politely like to remind folks not to forget that he's still around.

"Fans see what they see," Miller said late last week at the Jets training complex. "I was out for a whole year. I can only prove my point when I'm on the field and given my opportunity. I just want to go out there and play and be successful."

Miller's well on the road back from his Game 2 knee injury last season. He's already been rehabbing hard, both at the complex and, for a two-week period, out in the "different weather" of Arizona.

"It's going well. Each day is a continuous process of trying to get better and trying to get myself back on the field," he said. "I'm doing everything possible to be successful and to be out there playing again."

That includes jumping into some cutting-edge machinery to get his wheels back in NFL shape, such as Alter-G's G-Trainer treadmill.

"It helps you speed up your recovery process, run faster, but not do as much pounding on your body," he explained. "In this day and age, there's so much new technology, so many possible ways to get back faster and stronger, and you just have to be committed to that."

Miller appeared committed to stepping up in the Jets' defensive hierarchy last season. Coming off his Pro Bowl appearance as the AFC's kick returner after the 2006 season, he showed signs all summer of also improving the corner skills for which he was selected out of Clemson in the second round of the '05 draft.

Then came the injury on the second-quarter kickoff return at Baltimore. Head coach Eric Mangini couldn't hide his disappointment when he announced three days later that Miller was being placed on injured reserve.

"Justin had an outstanding off-season and I really liked the way he was working at his craft," Mangini said. "He and Bryan Cox spent a lot of time together and Bryan was helping him along, giving him some insight on things that helped him grow as a player and as a person. I saw that quite a bit, at practice and at the meetings. He takes some of the most impressive notes of any of our players and those things all add up. ... It

By Randy Lange

Editor-in-Chief

Published: 03-10-08

Cornerback has been a position of interest among Jets followers, especially now that the spot in the secondary still hasn't been addressed after the team's blizzard of moves in the first week of free agency.

Justin Miller would politely like to remind folks not to forget that he's still around.

"Fans see what they see," Miller said late last week at the Jets training complex. "I was out for a whole year. I can only prove my point when I'm on the field and given my opportunity. I just want to go out there and play and be successful."

Miller's well on the road back from his Game 2 knee injury last season. He's already been rehabbing hard, both at the complex and, for a two-week period, out in the "different weather" of Arizona.

"It's going well. Each day is a continuous process of trying to get better and trying to get myself back on the field," he said. "I'm doing everything possible to be successful and to be out there playing again."

That includes jumping into some cutting-edge machinery to get his wheels back in NFL shape, such as Alter-G's G-Trainer treadmill.

"It helps you speed up your recovery process, run faster, but not do as much pounding on your body," he explained. "In this day and age, there's so much new technology, so many possible ways to get back faster and stronger, and you just have to be committed to that."

Miller appeared committed to stepping up in the Jets' defensive hierarchy last season. Coming off his Pro Bowl appearance as the AFC's kick returner after the 2006 season, he showed signs all summer of also improving the corner skills for which he was selected out of Clemson in the second round of the '05 draft.

Then came the injury on the second-quarter kickoff return at Baltimore. Head coach Eric Mangini couldn't hide his disappointment when he announced three days later that Miller was being placed on injured reserve.

"Justin had an outstanding off-season and I really liked the way he was working at his craft," Mangini said. "He and Bryan Cox spent a lot of time together and Bryan was helping him along, giving him some insight on things that helped him grow as a player and as a person. I saw that quite a bit, at practice and at the meetings. He takes some of the most impressive notes of any of our players and those things all add up. ... It

whoa... still rehabbing? It sounds like J-Mil's injury was really really bad. This is a bummer, as I had high hopes he would be back to, or close to, 100% by now.

Not long ago, this was a full-year rehab & they're not the same player for another year after that (assuming they don't get re-injured like Javon Walker).

It's been just under 6 months for Miller. If he's almost there, I'd say that's ridiculously fast & he's ahead of schedule.

whoa... still rehabbing? It sounds like J-Mil's injury was really really bad. This is a bummer, as I had high hopes he would be back to, or close to, 100% by now.

Not long ago, this was a full-year rehab & they're not the same player for another year after that (assuming they don't get re-injured like Javon Walker).

It's been just under 6 months for Miller. If he's almost there, I'd say that's ridiculously fast & he's ahead of schedule.

By Randy Lange 03-10-08

Justin Miller would politely like to remind folks not to forget that he's still here.

By Randy Lange 03-10-08

Justin Miller would politely like to remind folks not to forget that he's still here.

Good article.

As I've said before, I really like Justin Miller and hope he'll be able to bounce back and be the starting Corner opposite Darrelle Revis. That not only would be one hell of a tandem at Corner, if he's done biting on pump fakes, but on Kickoff Returns as well. Teams no longer could kick away with Leon and Justin back there together. If they were to do so, they'd have to kick to the second line and the offense would seemingly start near the 40 everytime.

I don't want Miller anywhere near the top of the depth chart at CB.

He's a good kick returner so he's not a bust but he should no way be a Corner. I'd rather just go with Revis and Barrett. Or bring back Dyson.

The coaches and everyone else loved his progress last off season before his injury. I'll let them make the decision.

Personally, I'd love to see him come back and be successful. Miller and Revis would be an excellent combo if he progressed like Mangini said.

Miller will start, and have an Andre Dyson (of 06) type season. He is one of the guys i really expect to come in and play very well against the run, and decent against the pass.

If i had any reputation, i'd stake it on J-Mill having a great year. He is the one reason i don't want us to draft a CB at 6.

Archived