Only 6 teams have less than 5 Million in CAP-The Jets are one of them

DieHardJetsFan

I just seen this on ESPN

What does this mean for the future of the Jets? Rhodes, future free agents, the whole 9

I love our offseason, but now we are only one of six teams that have LESS than 5 million in cap, the Bills have over 20 million, any chance we can be introuble interms of the long run?

I just seen this on ESPN

What does this mean for the future of the Jets? Rhodes, future free agents, the whole 9

I love our offseason, but now we are only one of six teams that have LESS than 5 million in cap, the Bills have over 20 million, any chance we can be introuble interms of the long run?

Once D-Rob and hopefully Barrett are off we should be back around 15 under.

Who cares about how much money the Jets have. Do you like them any less?

After they release or trade ,D.Rob 8 mil comes off the books. So add that 8mil on top of the recent cap number and whola!.. doesn't look so bad does it?

If they would trade MR. Deadweight Pennington then that would be another 9mil off the books. So add Chadwicks 9 and D.Robs 8 and bam!... would that make you sleep better at night?

Once D-Rob and hopefully Barrett are off we should be back around 15 under.

I think we need to keep Barrett. Having Miller as our #2 CB and Coleman as our #3 is a disaster waiting to happen. I hate Barrett but other than Rhodes and Revis, our secondary is pretty weak as of right now

Who cares about how much money the Jets have. Do you like them any less?

After they release or trade ,D.Rob 8 mil comes off the books. So add that 8mil on top of the recent cap number and whola!.. doesn't look so bad does it?

If they would trade MR. Deadweight Pennington then that would be another 9mil off the books. So add Chadwicks 9 and D.Robs 8 and bam!... would that make you sleep better at night?

Do you feel you get more attention with your bold font?

Yeah... Great idea, trade or release the only veteran QB we have and leave Kellen Clemens without a backup that has the talent to manage a game

I have us at $117,101,362 for the top 51 current players' cap hits plus 18 released/traded players. This is as of the Jesse Chatman acquisition.

Our adjusted cap limit is $121,781,789.

So that would leave us with $4,680,427 available space right now.

I'm assuming the players' "workout bonuses" are being fulfilled as we speak, so that money will count against the cap no matter what. However likely or unlikely (I'm not rendering an opinion here), releasing/trading the following players - and absorbing the full hit in '08 - clears the following amounts:

Dewayne Robertson: $8,408,624.

Laveranues Coles: $4,000,000.

Eric Barton: $3,200,000.

Chad Pennington: $3,000,000.

David Barrett: $2,758,000.

Matt Chatham: $730,000.

Justin Miller: $304,750.

Bryan Thomas: $100,000.

Now keep in mind, any of them that get released will bump someone else into the "top 51" that count. The next 6 players that would be "bumped up" count $370-377K, so subtract that amount from the savings we would realize. For example, cutting Thomas saves $100,000, but would bump up the next guy at $377K, resulting in a net cap loss of $277,000.

Likewise, whoever we take in rounds 1 & 2 will have higher salaries than the current #50-#51 guys. So for example, if the #6 pick counted about $2.4M in year one, the net would be about $2.0M because someone else with roughly a $0.4M cap # gets bumped out of the top 51.

I have us at $117,101,362 for the top 51 current players' cap hits plus 18 released/traded players. This is as of the Jesse Chatman acquisition.

I'm assuming the players' "workout bonuses" are being fulfilled as we speak, so that money will count against the cap no matter what. However likely or unlikely (I'm not rendering an opinion here), releasing/trading the following players - and absorbing the full hit in '08 - clears the following amounts:

Now keep in mind, any of them that get released will bump someone else into the "top 51" that count. The next 6 players that would be "bumped up" count $370-377K, so subtract that amount from the savings we would realize. For example, cutting Thomas saves $100,000, but would bump up the next guy at $377K, resulting in a net cap loss of $277,000.

Likewise, whoever we take in rounds 1 & 2 will have higher salaries than the current #50-#51 guys. So for example, if the #6 pick counted about $2.4M in year one, the net would be about $2.0M because someone else with roughly a $0.4M cap # gets bumped out of the top 51.

Wow, great post.

Now I have a question for you

-It looks like the Jets will be releasing Robertson, as a fan, are you worried about the Jets cap situation interms of the future of the Jets?

Based on that, it is safe to say DRob, Barrett and maybe Barton are gone. That is $11 to $14 million right there. I am sure we will be picking up a CB fairly high in the draft.

Mr. T knows what he is doing.

Wow, great post.

Now I have a question for you

-It looks like the Jets will be releasing Robertson, as a fan, are you worried about the Jets cap situation interms of the future of the Jets?

No. They'll be fine.

Assuming Barrett & DRob are gone, there are currently 39 players under contract for 2009. Their cap #'s add up to $105.4M. The biggest cap hits for next year (without releasing/trading/restructuring) are:

Pace: $11.8M

Pennington: $8.7M

Faneca $8.1M

Coles: $7.0M

Ellis: $6.9M

Woody: $6.5M

Jenkins: $6.4M

Ferguson: $6.0M

Moore: $5.8M (includes $5M RB on 7th day of official season start)

KColeman: $4.3M

So while this doesn't include our #6 pick this year, which will be a significant number, nor Kerry Rhodes' new deal if they ever get it done, it does include players not likely to get the money they're due (Pennington, if he's even still here by then; Moore, if we get a new RT/RG; Ellis, if he doesn't have a major resurgence; etc.)

Based on that, it is safe to say DRob, Barrett and maybe Barton are gone. That is $11 to $14 million right there. I am sure we will be picking up a CB fairly high in the draft.

Mr. T knows what he is doing.

I'm excited about getting rid of Robertson for the simple fact it's clear that he's never been a 3-4 NT and we are in good hands with Jenkins and Pouha as far as the 3-4 NT goes.

As far as Barrett goes, this has to be his last year as a Jet. Right now we only have Barrett, Miller and Coleman to compete for the #2 CB position, so I think it's important that we go and draft a CB like Cason in the 2nd round because with Revis and Cason, Miller and Coleman would make solid backups and we could then release Barrett by the start of next season

Im not sure about the release of Barton though, I mean you can never have enough LB's in the 3-4 and other than Harris, im not happy with any other IMLB on this roster. I mean, I guess we would have to get pretty lucky in the 4th round to find a future starter in replace of Barton

I'm excited about getting rid of Robertson for the simple fact it's clear that he's never been a 3-4 NT and we are in good hands with Jenkins and Pouha as far as the 3-4 NT goes.

As far as Barrett goes, this has to be his last year as a Jet. Right now we only have Barrett, Miller and Coleman to compete for the #2 CB position, so I think it's important that we go and draft a CB like Cason in the 2nd round because with Revis and Cason, Miller and Coleman would make solid backups and we could then release Barrett by the start of next season

Im not sure about the release of Barton though, I mean you can never have enough LB's in the 3-4 and other than Harris, im not happy with any other IMLB on this roster. I mean, I guess we would have to get pretty lucky in the 4th round to find a future starter in replace of Barton

It's pretty simple: if we find his replacement this year, then he becomes expendable. If we're unsure & don't need the cap room, then we'd be cutting him for the sake of cutting him. He's a UFA after this season anyway, so there's no long-term benefit no matter what we do.

There's also a chance we keep him for 1 more year, then don't re-sign him, and take an ILB in round 1 or 2 in 2009. I think some of this backup plan was the reason we extended Kassell. If we get a true ILB (like Harris) in the draft and ease him in with Kassell, then Barton is very expendable. If not, then we keep him.

Why? money unspent is useless. After DRob is gone we should have enough to sign our draft picks no?

Unspent money is NOT useless. There are loopholes that you can jump through to allow unspent money actually INCREASE your allotted cap for teh following year.

Thge Jets did that in the past year.

All of that sais, I am not concerned with where the cap is right now, and teh Jets have flexibility to get to where they need it to go. I will be interested to see what they do with Coles, and ultimately Rhodes.

Unspent money is NOT useless. There are loopholes that you can jump through to allow unspent money actually INCREASE your allotted cap for teh following year.

Thge Jets did that in the past year.

All of that said, I am not concerned with where the cap is right now, and teh Jets have flexibility to get to where they need it to go. I will be interested to see what they do with Coles, and ultimately Rhodes.

i have a funny feeling that Rhodes is not gonna be signed. I think they tag him next year, and he's gone the next. I think he's gonna be looking for BIG money. Pro bowl type with no pro bowl.

Archived