Hawkins gives up No. 21 for No. 22

Lil Bit Special

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080416&content_id=2533255&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

ST. PETERSBURG -- Tired of receiving flak for wearing a number last used by Paul O'Neill, the Yankees' LaTroy Hawkins has decided to surrender his No. 21 before the club opens a two-game series against the Red Sox on Wednesday.

The right-hander declined comment after the Yankees' 5-3 victory over the Rays at Tropicana Field on Tuesday, but Yankees director of media relations Jason Zillo confirmed the change. Hawkins' decision was first reported by CBSSports.com.

Hawkins wore No. 22 with the Yankees during Spring Training, but switched to No. 21 when infielder Morgan Ensberg decided he no longer wanted to wear it.

Ensberg was randomly assigned the number upon reporting to camp as a non-roster invitee and later revealed that he received numerous vulgar comments from Yankees fans during the Grapefruit League campaign.

Hawkins eagerly accepted No. 21 as a tribute to Hall of Famer Roberto Clemente but quickly learned that a pinstriped No. 21 has other meanings for Yankees fans. Unaware he was donning a number that had not been worn since O'Neill retired following the 2001 World Series, Hawkins was booed when introduced on Opening Day at Yankee Stadium. Fans chanted "Paul O'Neill" during one of his appearances in the Bronx.

According to CBSSports.com, Hawkins made the decision after discussions with Derek Jeter, Mariano Rivera and other Yankees veterans, who told Hawkins that the number is not worth the headache it's causing.

"I figure if it's important enough for Jeter and Mariano and some other veterans to ask me about it, it's not worth it to keep wearing the number," Hawkins told the Web site.

Hawkins will wear No. 22, last worn by Roger Clemens, when the Yankees take the field on Wednesday.

He had said that he would be interested in wearing No. 42 on Tuesday as a tribute to Jackie Robinson, but declined to change his number for the game against the Rays. Hawkins, who is African-American, wore No. 42 last year for the Rockies, the lone player wearing that number for Colorado.

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Its a friggin number people.....

Paul was a very good player on some great teams. He doesn't deserve to be alongside Ruth, Mantle, DiMaggio, etc.

While I'm not condoning threats and the anger directed towards Ensberg and Hawkins, Paul O'Neill was the real heart and soul of that Yankees Dynasty. Anyone who actually believes Jeter was is kidding themselves. O'Neill was the real team captain and its no coincidence the team hasn't done jack s*** since he retired.

Having said that, I have a theory that while some fans do want the number retired, there is a contingent (sp?) of fans who were upset that they'd finally assign that number to JAGs like Ensberg and Hawkins. I'd bet there'd be less Yankee fans pissed about 21 being reissued if it had been given to, say, Joba Chamberlain.

I'd retire 21 before I would retire any number on the yankees for the past 20 years. I'd retire 21 before 23 because I value winning and championships over meaningless regular season stats.

That's silly...Bernie, hands down. I HATE the Yanks and if #51 isn't done next, there is something wrong. The Yanks like to retire numbers of "good players", see Maris, rather than saving the HONOR for greats. Jeter, Torre & Mariano are deserving. O'Neill, I personally don't think deserves it. If they retire numbers of guys like O'Neill, they will run out of numbers by 2020 and resort to guys having triple digits or letters on their backs!

That's silly...Bernie, hands down. I HATE the Yanks and if #51 isn't done next, there is something wrong. The Yanks like to retire numbers of "good players", see Maris, rather than saving the HONOR for greats. Jeter, Torre & Mariano are deserving. O'Neill, I personally don't think deserves it. If they retire numbers of guys like O'Neill, they will run out of numbers by 2020 and resort to guys having triple digits or letters on their backs!

Jeter and Torre can go f themselves. I wouldn't retire either of their numbers. I've been a huge yankee fan and while Jeter does have a penchant for clutch hits. A-rod had the right(the only thing he ever had right) when he said that the only reason Jeter does so well is because he hits 2nd for the yankees.

Archived