Danny Woodhead NY TIMES article

Kentucky Jet

May 4, 2008

A New Jet Will Try to Outrun His Height

By JOSHUA ROBINSON.

Woodhead bench pressed 225 pounds 20 times and was timed somewhere between 4.33 and 4.38 seconds in the 40-yard dash. Darren McFadden, the fourth overall pick in the draft, posted the fastest time at the N.F.L. combine, 4.33 seconds.

Typical sloppy NYT journalism. When they want a fact to be true so they can make whatever point they're trying to make, they just print it as if it was true.

Woodhead was timed at between 4.33 seconds and like 5.5 seconds during the same run by different timers. The author makes it sound like everyone who was timing him clicked their stopwatches at under 4.4 seconds, which is far from true. Really, no one knows how fast he is compared to others (yet).

And McFadden did not post the fastest time at the NFL combine. Not even for his own position. Nor would it have been the fastest RB time last year either for that matter.

This is the trendy story for now...and I am not going to react to how a guy does in a mini camp like this as it means next to nothing. Show a spark great come to training camp. Make the final roster then I am impressed.. or even the practice squad for that matter.

Typical sloppy NYT journalism. When they want a fact to be true so they can make whatever point they're trying to make, they just print it as if it was true.

Woodhead was timed at between 4.33 seconds and like 5.5 seconds during the same run by different timers. The author makes it sound like everyone who was timing him clicked their stopwatches at under 4.4 seconds, which is far from true. Really, no one knows how fast he is compared to others (yet).

And McFadden did not post the fastest time at the NFL combine. Not even for his own position. Nor would it have been the fastest RB time last year either for that matter.

I thought the same thing when I read the McFadden bit. I think you're off on the pro-day though. IIRC, it was the 4th round pick, Lowery, that supposedly had the big spread on the 40 times. I never saw Woodhead's time listed worse than 4.38. He ran at Nebraska's pro day, so there were probably more top scouts in town than San Jose State or wherever that Lowery ran.

I thought the same thing when I read the McFadden bit. I think you're off on the pro-day though. IIRC, it was the 4th round pick, Lowery, that supposedly had the big spread on the 40 times. I never saw Woodhead's time listed worse than 4.38. He ran at Nebraska's pro day, so there were probably more top scouts in town than San Jose State or wherever that Lowery ran.

Ah, I think you're right.

The premise still holds true though. He was hand-timed. I really don't care anyway - if he plays fast on the field who cares what his 40 time is on a track with shorts & a tank top & no defenders obstructing his path?

In track no one uses hand times, they are notoriously unreliable. Peoples reaction times vary from person to person. If they are trying to gauge true time, they can use better methods than hand timing. That being said you hope this guy catches on.

I like the idea of short running backs. I always hear from linebackers how hard they are to see when they finally do appear it leaves the defender out of position. Everyone seems so hard on the short guys but i don't get it. Short guys don't tend to get cleaned out on hits throughout the game, as the bigger backs tend to do. The small guys will dodge the hit, even if they go down on the play they just don't get cracked like the Jamal Lewises of the world might.

I never saw this kid but the toughest guy to bring down that I saw was Charlie Tolar with KC. He was 5'6" 200 lbs and it was like they were trying to tackle a bowling ball. If this kid runs low it would rough for anyone at any level to bring down. This kid could turn out to be the surprise of the rookie class and the FO should get some kudos for getting him.

I never saw this kid but the toughest guy to bring down that I saw was Charlie Tolar with KC. He was 5'6" 200 lbs and it was like they were trying to tackle a bowling ball. If this kid runs low it would rough for anyone at any level to bring down. This kid could turn out to be the surprise of the rookie class and the FO should get some kudos for getting him.

Archived