QB Competition good or bad for team

4HCrew

I think it makes perfect sense - nip the whole "controversy" thing before it even starts. Pick your man and go. This open QB competition stuff helped lead us to 4-12 last season.

If Clemens sucks, you can always make a change during the season. When you make that change, I don't know. Week 4? 5? 8?

Clemens sucked last season. I don't care about the laundry list of excuses Jets fans make for him.

5 tds 11 ints and the worst QB rating of any starting QB in the NFL last season.

No way should he be called the starter from the get-go. If he wins the job in camp and/or preseason fine but based on last season's performance no way should he be annointed the starter from the get go especially when the Jets have a QB who's taken them to the playoffs 3 times already on the roster.

And the open competition did not lead us to a 4-12 record last season. This team just sucked. Our front 7 on defense was pathetic, our o-line was pathetic and neither of our QB's were able to make this team better.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did not take the beat writers long to start stirring up all of the articles over this qb competition. So now each qb will be repeatedly ask the same questions and their teammates the same. At some point is this a distraction for this team? For example say Mangini names Chad the starter going into training camp would that necessarily be a bad thing? If anything could maybe motivate Kellen more? I understand why Mangini is doing it but for whatever reason think the job is Chad's to lose to begin with. So why not avoid the distraction and move on and get this team better without distractions? And if the job is Kellen's to lose then deal with it now and not while during training camp.

Always bad, but sometimes unavoidable. Here it is bad. If Pennington wins the comp he will still stink against real teams (aka reg season teams). He is shot. He demonstrated that quite clearly with his 1 win last year. Against Miami. It probably shouldn't even count.

Wrong. Mangini announced that Chad was the starter for 2007 at the end of the 2006 season. The open QB competition was in the 2006 training camp. You know, the year they went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Neither of these guys deserves to have the job handed to them. You really think Clemens performance in '07 deserves him getting four weeks as a starter regardless of how he does in camp?

Oops, my bad. I stand corrected.

I don't think Clemen's '07 performance earned him the starting job, I think the alternative did. I'm not thrilled with either QB, but I'm willing to give the lowest-rated QB in '07 a chance to show his worth behind a revamped OL in '08. You know, the whole "unknown quantity" vs. the "known quantity" that's been beaten to death in dozens of other threads.

Clemens sucked last season. I don't care about the laundry list of excuses Jets fans make for him.

5 tds 11 ints and the worst QB rating of any starting QB in the NFL last season.

No way should he be called the starter from the get-go. If he wins the job in camp and/or preseason fine but based on last season's performance no way should he be annointed the starter from the get go especially when the Jets have a QB who's taken them to the playoffs 3 times already on the roster.

And the open competition did not lead us to a 4-12 record last season. This team just sucked. Our front 7 on defense was pathetic, our o-line was pathetic and neither of our QB's were able to make this team better.

There's no doubt that Clemens left a lot to be desired last year. But if you're choosing this year's starter based on '07 performance, Pennington shouldn't start either.

I happen to think Pennington is done, regardless of his 3 past playoff appearances.

I've seen enough of Pennington to know that I don't want to see him in a starting role any more.

There's no doubt that Clemens left a lot to be desired last year. But if you're choosing this year's starter based on '07 performance, Pennington shouldn't start either.

I happen to think Pennington is done, regardless of his 3 past playoff appearances.

I've seen enough of Pennington to know that I don't want to see him in a starting role any more.

I agree. That's why I think they have to compete.

I believe both Anderson and Garcia went into training camp as starters. It was their jobs to lose

Who is Anderson? If you are talking about Cleveland, I'm pretty sure that Frye started the at least the first week. He promptly sucked and was cut and most people believed that meant Quinn's time was coming. Wrong. QB competitions are not good for a team. Problem is it's worse to get stuck with the ****tier of ****ty options.

What? Last year Garcia may have been in 'competition' but he was always going to be the sarter when Jake Plummer retired.

That's subject to opinion. I would agree he had a clear leg-up, but if one of their suckier other QB's (McCown, Gostkowski, Simms) were non-sucky or if Garcia started to show his age, I'm sure the competition would have lasted a bit longer. They won 9 games (nothing great) & made the playoffs.

Jacksonville had a full-on QB competition & won 11 games.

Cleveland had a full-on QB competition with the 2 QB's from the prior year plus Quinn once he signed. They went with Frye for 1 game then traded him after he lost the job so there wouldn't be further controversy to which guy holds the fort down for Quinn. Then Anderson didn't suck so he kept the job. They won 10 games.

Since every team can't have a Manning or Brady, I'd say that's a good chunk of the playoff teams.

Only bad things happen within the team when there is a "QB Competition".

Especially when the media gets involved and starts taking sides. (i.e Todd vs Robinson).

I would rather Mangini make a decision here. You turned the keys over to Clemens and giving them back to Chad is basically telling Clemens "you are done here".

QB Controversies divide and destroy alot of teams. I don't like the idea one bit.

Coach has to strong and ignore the media, and the losing QB has to be mature. There was a very nasty QB controversy in NE when the pro-bowl QB was cleared to return and the coach stuck with a 2nd year 6th round draft pick. Majority of the media and fans wanted the pro-bowler that had gotten the team to a SB a few year prior back in.

Question is can Mangini pick a QB and then stick with him, even through some bumps and bruises or will he flip flop them every time the team loses two games in a row.

Coach has to strong and ignore the media, and the losing QB has to be mature. There was a very nasty QB controversy in NE when the pro-bowl QB was cleared to return and the coach stuck with a 2nd year 6th round draft pick. Majority of the media and fans wanted the pro-bowler that had gotten the team to a SB a few year prior back in.

Question is can Mangini pick a QB and then stick with him, even through some bumps and bruises or will he flip flop them every time the team loses two games in a row.

Well he stuck with Chad longer than he should have really. That's one of the main reasons I feel he may lean towards Chad again, he obviously stuck by him for a reason.

Hopefully whichever QB wins this little battle can put an end to any question marks with their performances on the field, Preferably Kellen as he has much more upside and could evntually be the long term solution.

Who is Anderson? If you are talking about Cleveland, I'm pretty sure that Frye started the at least the first week. He promptly sucked and was cut and most people believed that meant Quinn's time was coming. Wrong. QB competitions are not good for a team. Problem is it's worse to get stuck with the ****tier of ****ty options.

I forgot about frye since he was a non factor.

I remember it a little different. the media wanted bledsoe especially ron borges and nick cafardo. Bledsoe was a good source of info for the media when bellichick gave them nothing, but I remember listening to the sport talk shows and the majority of fans wanted Brady.

I believe both Anderson and Garcia went into training camp as starters. It was their jobs to lose

Nope.

In Cleveland, Frye was the guy.

In Jacksonville, Leftwitch was the guy.

In Tampa Bay, they were hoping for Jake Plummer to stop whining and to come out and play for them.

Nope.

In Cleveland, Frye was the guy.

In Jacksonville, Leftwitch was the guy.

In Tampa Bay, they were hoping for Jake Plummer to stop whining and to come out and play for them.

Leftwich was sent packing to atlanta and plummer retired, neither of those teams went into the season with a qb controversy because the other qb was either not on the team or let go. same thing in cleveland fry was let go in the beginning of the year.

Are you out of your mind?

Leftwitch was a Jaguar until one week before the season. There was a QB competition throughout Training Camp and the Preseason between him and David Garrard.

Charlie Frye was given the job because they thought he was the best man able to hold the fort down for a month or two before they could give the job to Brady Quinn. He played like crap Week 1 and Crennel traded him to Seattle and gave Anderson a shot. It was a 3 way battle through camp.

And yes Plummer did retire but Gruden still was begging and pleading for him to come into camp to compete with Garcia and the young kid, I forget his name, as well as Chris Simms.

There was competition in all three places. Get your facts straight.

Leftwich was sent packing to atlanta and plummer retired, neither of those teams went into the season with a qb controversy because the other qb was either not on the team or let go. same thing in cleveland fry was let go in the beginning of the year.
Ok but both Anderson and Garrard did NOT go into camp as starters, and Plummer was being courted to start over Garcia.

Are you out of your mind?

Leftwitch was a Jaguar until one week before the season. There was a QB competition throughout Training Camp and the Preseason between him and David Garrard.

Charlie Frye was given the job because they thought he was the best man able to hold the fort down for a month or two before they could give the job to Brady Quinn. He played like crap Week 1 and Crennel traded him to Seattle and gave Anderson a shot. It was a 3 way battle through camp.

And yes Plummer did retire but Gruden still was begging and pleading for him to come into camp to compete with Garcia and the young kid, I forget his name, as well as Chris Simms.

There was competition in all three places. Get your facts straight.

Once again, spot on.

I actually disagree with this one. I always felt Garcia would have the edge regardless of whether Plummer would show or not, especially after the year he had for the Eagles.

I actually disagree with this one. I always felt Garcia would have the edge regardless of whether Plummer would show or not, especially after the year he had for the Eagles.
Perhaps, but they still were trying dam hard to get Plummer in camp to give him a run.

Well we didn't really hold a serious competition among the top candidates either. Some would be legitimate contenders and others would be non-factors, of course.

Right, but sometimes the non-factors would win and hold the title for a week or two before being supplanted and traded to the Seahawks for a sixth rounder.

Archived