Cedric Benson busted again - PFT.com

BENSON BUSTED AGAIN

Posted by Mike Florio on June 7, 2008, 10:17 a.m.

Bears running back Cedric Benson has been arrested. Again.

This time, Benson was busted for driving while intoxicated in Austin. He was stopped for a traffic violation and refused to submit to breath or blood testing.

When Benson was arrested for drunk boating and resisting arrest in May, Benson professed his innocence. Witnesses claimed that Benson had been roughed up by police, who ultimately give him a face full of pepper spray.

This time around, no additional information has been reported as to whether there are any such side issues.

Regardless, the Bears have to be getting tired of this routine. The fourth overall pick in the 2005 draft is becoming far more trouble than he ever was worth.

And remember this

His next contract won't be anywhere near his rookie deal. He is the perfect example as to why rookie deals are too high.

I'll never forget him on draft day-he went into this rant about how being drafted was like the slave trade-I said then that this guy is friggin psycho

I'll never forget him on draft day-he went into this rant about how being drafted was like the slave trade-I said then that this guy is friggin psycho

i didn't pay attention to the top part of that draft since the jets selected much later. I just assumed that all the runningbacks that were so highly touted (benson, williams and brown) would all be studs. I guess i had too much faith in the idiot scouts/GM's that run the show out there.

No way Benson's true colors didn't come out with all the interviews they did. Yet he still goes number 5 or whatever it was.

Think the Bears would take a Mulligan on the Jones trade if they could?

The Jets might take that mulligan too.

"Cedric Benson is being harassed and targeted by corrupt police officers in attempt to discredit him as a result of his crusade to end police brutality in Austin, Texas. If it weren't for the boating case he would never have even been pulled over."

Get the right jury and that will fly.

"Cedric Benson is being harassed and targeted by corrupt police officers in attempt to discredit him as a result of his crusade to end police brutality in Austin, Texas. If it weren't for the boating case he would never have even been pulled over."

Get the right jury and that will fly.

That - and what the real probable cause of the stop was for. If it's not enough bolts holding on his license plate - he can beat it.

That - and what the real probable cause of the stop was for. If it's not enough bolts holding on his license plate - he can beat it.

he can beat it, but he's not a very good tailback. I still expect him to go tryout to tryout maybe grabbing a really bad contract before he gets cut for good.

he can beat it, but he's not a very good tailback. I still expect him to go tryout to tryout maybe grabbing a really bad contract before he gets cut for good.

No he's not Bro - he doesn't beat out Curtis Enis as the all time Bears draft schwansing at RB - but he's not far behind and is gaining points rapidly.

whew,,close one..Jets get the lunch pail football guy Jones,,and Bears kept the turd...

Bears' Benson arrested, charged in Austin with drunken driving

Associated Press

Updated: June 7, 2008, 2:52 PM ET

Cedric Benson's rocky relationship with the Chicago Bears got murkier Saturday after the running back's arrest on a drunken driving charge in Austin, Texas, his second arrest in little more than a month.

Bears officials said they would treat the matter seriously. Benson's attorney said the former Texas star had a few drinks with dinner but didn't think he was intoxicated, and cooperated with police.

7180.jpg Benson

Still, attorney Sam Bassett acknowledged, "He's probably in trouble with his team for breaking curfew and having anything to drink under the circumstances."

Authorities said Benson was arrested early Saturday after he failed a field sobriety test. The former first-round draft pick was charged with driving while intoxicated and released on bond.

The arrest comes a month after Benson was charged with boating while intoxicated and resisting arrest. He has said neither charge is true, and those cases are pending.

At a fan event at Soldier Field in Chicago on Saturday, Bears general manager Jerry Angelo said he'd not spoken to Benson but called the situation unfortunate.

"Disappointment is too much an often-used word when we're talking about Cedric, and the number one lesson for every player is protect your job," Angelo said. "So we're all held accountable for our actions."

Asked if the new arrest will weigh against Benson, Angelo said: "Well, it doesn't weigh very well. And it's unfortunate. We will deal with it when we know everything."

Austin police spokeswoman Veneza Aguinaga said Benson, who was pulled over for running a red light, refused to take a breath test or provide blood samples Saturday.

Bassett said Benson thought the light was yellow when he went through around 2 a.m., though he stopped immediately when police appeared. Bassett said Benson told him he wasn't speeding or driving recklessly.

"He doesn't feel like he was intoxicated," Bassett said. "He said he had two or three drinks the whole night with dinner."

Bassett said Benson's girlfriend was with him at the time. The two had dined at a Japanese restaurant earlier. The running back was in Austin for his mother's birthday this weekend, Bassett said.

Coach Lovie Smith said he was inclined to give Benson the benefit of the doubt "like everyone else in society gets."

"That's what we'll do with this thing," Smith said.

Benson was the fourth overall draft pick in 2005 and started 11 games last season. Three weeks ago, he took part in voluntary spring workouts in Illinois, lining up in the Bears' first-team backfield.

He has a June 30 court date for the May 5 arrest while operating a 30-foot boat on Lake Travis near Austin. Authorities say he resisted arrest and they had to use pepper spray to subdue him. Benson has denied he resisted and says officers used excessive force.

In 2003, Benson was sentenced to eight days in jail on a misdemeanor trespassing charge after forcing his way into an apartment to look for a reported stolen TV.

Archived