Cubs receive starter Harden from A's in six-player deal

JetNation

Did the Cubbies give up anything significant at all??

matt murton iim not sure but it hink he gets hurt alot too but he was pretty good with a .294 ba in mlb.. he still isnt that old i think 26. i dnt kno much about others but the pitcher they gave up gallagher i think will be good

Did the Cubbies give up anything significant at all??

Not really. Murton has always been highly-thought of but hasn't produced at the big league level. Gallagher could be a good middle of the rotation starter but that's nothing when you're getting back an ace.

However, I've learned to not judge Billy Beane trades until a few years down the road.

Not really. Murton has always been highly-thought of but hasn't produced at the big league level. Gallagher could be a good middle of the rotation starter but that's nothing when you're getting back an ace.

However, I've learned to not judge Billy Beane trades until a few years down the road.

Beane wanted Gallagher because he isn't arby eligible for a couple of years. Murton is someone they have coveted for a while and the utility guy is just that, plus they might lose Ellis soon. It all depends on how the catcher pans out.

Beane wanted Gallagher because he isn't arby eligible for a couple of years. Murton is someone they have coveted for a while and the utility guy is just that, plus they might lose Ellis soon. It all depends on how the catcher pans out.

Gallagher will be controlled for a few years but he's not going to be close to the pitcher that Harden is. Why trade an ace for a 3--at best--and two utility players...

The knock on Murton is his fielding, he's OK at the plate.

You never know what Eric Patterson could turn into, but my money says he'll be like brother Corey.

I've read where some A's fans feel they got raped on this deal.

Gallagher will be controlled for a few years but he's not going to be close to the pitcher that Harden is. Why trade an ace for a 3--at best--and two utility players...

Asked Tuesday whether the A's got enough for one of the most overpowering pitchers in baseball, one scout chuckled: "For a guy who might break down tomorrow? Yeah."

From a Jayson Stark Column. That is Harden's stigma, he can never stay healthy. I was surprised to see the A's give up Gaudin too as I think he is a pretty solid starter (when he starts) and pretty solid out of the pen. Beane is a GM you can trust though I suppose. Although, I admit it is weird seeing the NL teams in an arms race and the Sox and Yanks and etc. are building from within.

kill me. Its like god wants the brewers to suffer. Maybe he'll get hurt...is it wrong to hope for that?

Yes that is wrong. And for your evil thoughts, Harden is going to hit Braun and Fielder on their hands for some DL time ala Soriano and that will be your just deserves. So there!

I've read where some A's fans feel they got raped on this deal.

As an A's fan, I really don't think so. Harden was only 5-1, and is always hurt. I don't mind stockpiling prospects and utility guys, since we always have 4-5 guys on the DL. It sucks to see him go, but in the end, once his contract was up, he'd be gone anyway.

As an A's fan, I really don't think so. Harden was only 5-1, and is always hurt. I don't mind stockpiling prospects and utility guys, since we always have 4-5 guys on the DL. It sucks to see him go, but in the end, once his contract was up, he'd be gone anyway.

I think the key to Hardens success as a Cub is to develop another pitch that won't schwanse his arm and keep his heater in the low 90's. It seems when he breaks its from throwing too much junk and trying to get 3 digits out of his fastball.

Larry Rothschild now gets a chance top earn his money - if this guy should know anything at this point - it's how to deal with fragile pitchers.

btw - I think Gallagher will be a great 4-5 spot innings chewer for a long time in the bigs. Murton's an ok contact hitter that probably wont be anybodys starter longterm. And as much as I hate his brudder - I think Patterson is going to be an all star. Phenominal speed, good eye, and surprising power.

Good trade for both sides.

Archived