Judge Rejects Challenge That Redskins Trademark Is Disparaging

Lil Bit Special

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=sbd.main&ArticleID=122317

The Redskins Friday "scored another victory" in a long-standing fight over their trademark, with U.S. District Judge Colleen Kollar-Kotelly "rejecting the latest challenge by Native Americans who say the name is disparaging," according to Del Quentin Wilber of the WASHINGTON POST.

The decision marked the second time Kollar-Kotelly has "ruled in favor of the team, which has been fighting to protect millions of dollars in sales of Redskins caps, T-shirts and other merchandise."

Kollar-Kotelly ruled that the activists "waited too long to make their challenge, noting that the first trademark -- 'the Redskins,' written in a stylized script -- dated to 1967."

The judge revisited the issue after the U.S. Court of Appeals in '05 found that one of the activists, Mateo Romero, "might have legal standing because he was born in 1966." But Kollar-Kotelly found that Romero had "waited too long before joining the legal action," as he had been an adult "for eight years before filing his initial complaint."

The judge ruled that by "not filing the challenge in a timely way," Romero "put the Redskins at an unfair economic disadvantage."

Kollar-Kotelly noted that between the time Romero turned 18 in '84 and '92, the Redskins' list of merchandise licensees "nearly tripled, and the team invested millions in the name."

Wilber noted the team's name has been "in place for about 75 years, and it was not at stake in the litigation," but its "logo and trademark protections were in jeopardy" (WASHINGTON POST, 7/12).

I guess people don't have enough to bitch and moan about already, huh? Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. Its a freakin' name of an NFL team, its not racist. They should like it and root for the freakin' Redskins. **** them.

Wow, I'm sick of all these frickin' Native Americans trying to do this crap. I don't know why they get so mad. It's not like it's disrespecting them. So maybe people of the Celtic religion should sue the Celtics, right? It's stupid and it's a waste of time. They can call their teams whatever they want. It's not disrespecting them or making fun of them. They need to chill out!

I guess people don't have enough to bitch and moan about already, huh? Ridiculous. Simply ridiculous. Its a freakin' name of an NFL team, its not racist. They should like it and root for the freakin' Redskins. **** them.

That is all it is...but as you say some people just have to be offended and cry on the worlds shoulder...no one is bing hurt...I in no way think less of people of Indian heritage....but they call themselves native american...should I be offended...I was born here also...what does that make me ?

And like many of us from my part of the country...I have Cherokee on my grandfathers side and Choctaw on my grandmothers side....

I stopped taking Fantasy Index magazine. About 5 years a go they stopped listing the Washington Redskins as a team...they just call them Washington....I sent them an e-mail telling them when I play FF I am not worried about PC...I told them I play FF to get have fun and get away from that crap....I told them to keep their magazine...

They just want sympathy.

Yeah, it's not like the Europeans came and stole all their land and committed genocide against them.

The term is a little bit racist but it's definitely not worth changing the team name. It's certainly not as outright offensive as the Cleveland Indians logo.

Yeah, it's not like the Europeans came and stole all their land and committed genocide against them.

The term is a little bit racist but it's definitely not worth changing the team name. It's certainly not as outright offensive as the Cleveland Indians logo.

How is that any bit at all rascist?

"Redskin" is the Native American equivalent of the n-word.

Considering the fact that we exterminated their people and annihilated their culture, this probably seems like adding insult to injury. I don't blame them for being upset.

That was a long, long time ago. None of them were even around when that kinda crap happened. And we didn't do anything, our very, very distant ancestors did, but I haven't done anything.

I am wondering how anything is "rascist", to be honest with you guys.

Considering the fact that we exterminated their people and annihilated their culture, this probably seems like adding insult to injury. I don't blame them for being upset.

Both good points.

That was a long, long time ago. None of them were even around when that kinda crap happened. And we didn't do anything, our very, very distant ancestors did, but I haven't done anything.

There would be a lot more of them if it hadn't happened. Native Americans have a higher suicide rate than any other group in the country, so it's not like they are leading wonderful lives today.

There would be a lot more of them if it hadn't happened. Native Americans have a higher suicide rate than any other group in the country, so it's not like they are leading wonderful lives today.

I have no idea why. They are treated just as equally as everyone else. Just anytime someone uses the word Indian or anything like that, they get all offended and use sympathy. You talk about how we annihilated their culture, but honestly, they need to get over it. It wasn't you or me or anyone that is alive today. They are normal people that can lead normal lives if they just stop trying to go for the sympathy card. They can be leading wonderful lives if they want to, but they just want to live on reservations their whole lives, play the sympathy card, and become charity cases. It happened many years ago and they need to get over it.

I have no idea why.

Uh...because we exterminated their people and annihilated their culture and put them on reservations. That's why Native Americans have astronomically higher rates of poverty, alcoholism, and suicide than any other ethnic group. They are treated equally to everyone else today, but they were treated like garbage for about 400 years, so the deck has been stacked against them.

Well...Yes, but lets keep that in perspective and remember how few Native Americans there are.

I have no idea why. They are treated just as equally as everyone else. Just anytime someone uses the word Indian or anything like that, they get all offended and use sympathy. You talk about how we annihilated their culture, but honestly, they need to get over it. It wasn't you or me or anyone that is alive today. They are normal people that can lead normal lives if they just stop trying to go for the sympathy card. They can be leading wonderful lives if they want to, but they just want to live on reservations their whole lives, play the sympathy card, and become charity cases. It happened many years ago and they need to get over it.

There is so much that is completely wrong with this post, but if I say anything it will probably get political. So I'll just encourage you to do some research on the lives of American Indians. You will quickly lose the notion they are "treated as equally as everyone else."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_Americans_in_the_United_States#Current_status

Read the economy section.

people need to toughen up and stop getting all upset over everything.

Its only offensive because they allow it to be offensive.

The pussification of america is what will lead to the end of our dynasty.

One thing is for certain, there is no stopping them, the ants will soon be here. And I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

ants.jpg

Uh...because we exterminated their people and annihilated their culture and put them on reservations. That's why Native Americans have astronomically higher rates of poverty, alcoholism, and suicide than any other ethnic group. They are treated equally to everyone else today, but they were treated like garbage for about 400 years, so the deck has been stacked against them.

That was in the past. They need to get their lazy @sses out and do something with their life besides whine and moan about how their ancestors, whome they've never even met, suffered this rascism. This is modern day America, even the people in the worst of situations can make whatever they want out of their lives. I will not sympathize for them.

That was in the past. They need to get their lazy @sses out and do something with their life besides whine and moan about how their ancestors, whome they've never even met, suffered this rascism. This is modern day America, even the people in the worst of situations can make whatever they want out of their lives. I will not sympathize for them.

If it were that simple, I'm sure they would.

But I totally agree, why can't all these people just suck up their centuries of oppression and make something of themselves, like rich white people do every day? Damned lazy ingrates. It's sickening I tells ya, sickening.

forehead-slap.jpg

Like I said before, do some research. At this point you're just talking out of your a$$.

If it were that simple, I'm sure they would.

But I totally agree, why can't all these people just suck up their centuries of oppression and make something of themselves, like rich white people do every day? Damned lazy ingrates. It's sickening I tells ya, sickening.

My whole point is, they weren't the ones who actually suffered. It was they're ancestors. The Native Americans alive today weren't the ones suffering. They need to forget about hundreds of years ago. It won't get them anywhere. You don't see African-American people getting all up in arms because there was slavery hundreds of years ago. And they had it worse! My point is, is that the people that suffered from this rascism aren't even alive today. They keep feeling so offended and there's no reason to. Anyone can make anything out of themselves. Anyone can get a free education and be successful. Anyone can. My grandfather is part Cherokee and he grew-up in a dirt poor family. But, he decided to get off his reservation and make soething of himself. He got a free education and went on to Ohio State University. Anyone can do what my grandfather did, they just have to work hard at it. Nevermind, you probally don't even get what I'm saying.

My whole point is, they weren't the ones who actually suffered. It was they're ancestors. The Native Americans alive today weren't the ones suffering. They need to forget about hundreds of years ago. It won't get them anywhere. You don't see African-American people getting all up in arms because there was slavery hundreds of years ago. And they had it worse! My point is, is that the people that suffered from this rascism aren't even alive today. They keep feeling so offended and there's no reason to. Anyone can make anything out of themselves. Anyone can get a free education and be successful. Anyone can. My grandfather is part Cherokee and he grew-up in a dirt poor family. But, he decided to get off his reservation and make soething of himself. He got a free education and went on to Ohio State University. Anyone can do what my grandfather did, they just have to work hard at it. Nevermind, you probally don't even get what I'm saying.

I don't get it at all. Please restate it using smaller words, I'm so confused.

My grandfather's story is the same as yours, minus the part-Cherokee part, and I admire them both greatly.

My point is just that of course Native Americans aren't being exterminated today, and of course legally they're the same as everyone else. But their economic and cultural situation is a product of their past; that's what history is.

Anyway, this conversation has gone very far off the reservation (hi-oh!)...my point is just that "Redskin" is the most offensive word to describe a Native American. Again, the last people attached to slavery died 7 or 8 decades ago; that doesn't mean it would be ok to have a team called the Atlanta Sambos.

You act like it's only the Native Americans that these types of words are said to. I mean, seriously, if you're white and you go to south florida, the people there will be so rascist to you calling you cracker, and a bunch of other rascial slurs.

You act like it's only the Native Americans that these types of words are said to. I mean, seriously, if you're white and you go to south florida, the people there will be so rascist to you calling you cracker, and a bunch of other rascial slurs.

I gotcha, but I wouldn't support a team called the Mississippi Crackers either.

We? There wasn't a single member of my family here before 1900.

And the Atlanta Sambos thing was pretty funny.

Archived