Rutgers Schiano has side deal with the University

faba

SPN.com news desk

Updated: July 23, 2008, 9:12 AM ET

A clause in Rutgers football coach Greg Schiano's contract allows him to leave without financial penalty if the university does not complete the 14,000-seat expansion of Rutgers Stadium by 2009, the Star-Ledger of Newark reported Wednesday.

The side deal, which university president Richard McCormick disclosed to the newspaper Tuesday night, followed an earlier Star-Ledger report that Rutgers quietly guaranteed Schiano an additional $250,000 on top of his salary. The newspaper reported that payment never appeared on the school payroll because it was funnelled through the university's sports marketing firm.

According to the terms of his deal, Schiano is required to pay $500,000 for breaking his 10-year contract if he leaves following the 2009 season. However, an addendum to that contract, which was never made public, releases him from those same damages if the stadium construction is not completed on time, the newspaper reported.

According to the report, McCormick apologized for the university's "lack of transparency" involving Schiano's contract and said Rutgers should have made all of its terms public. He did not say why the university chose not to disclose the entire contract when it was signed.

"I'm not sure why we didn't, but I regret it," McCormick said, according to the newspaper.

Neither Schiano nor university athletic director Robert Mulcahy, who negotiated the deal, responded to requests for comment, The Star-Ledger reported.

Schiano, who helped build Rutgers into an emerging college football power, has reportedly been sought by a number of high-profile programs in the past few years.

Schiano was paid $1.6 million in salary and guaranteed compensation last year, not including the $250,000 payment or bonuses and other incentives that totaled $205,000, according to the report.

Those bonuses included $50,000 for being invited to a bowl game, $100,000 for a record in ticket sales and $25,000 for the team's academic progress rating, the newspaper reported. The university, which sold Schiano a piece of property, also gave him an $800,000 interest-free loan to buy a home, which is being forgiven at a rate of $100,000 a year so long as he remains at Rutgers.

According to records obtained by the newspaper, Rutgers arranged for Nelligan Sports Marketing, the university's exclusive marketing agent, to pay Schiano $250,000 from sponsorship revenue. Those payments went into a limited liability corporation which Schiano established shortly after his contract extension was announced in February 2007.

The company's chief executive, T.J. Nelligan said payments made through his business are a common practice at top football schools.

"Not one dime has come from the state taxpayers. In fact, due to the increased revenue, Nelligan Sports Marketing has helped generate over $22 million in total sponsorship revenue since 2000-2001," he said, according to the newspaper. "This has significantly helped to pay expenses for the athletic department and thus offset the costs that would have had to be paid by taxpayers."

Rutgers officials say the first phase of the $102 million stadium renovation, which will add about 1,000 "premium" seats, will be completed by the Sept. 1 home opener against Fresno State,. But officials said earlier this month bids on the second phase -- adding another 13,000 seats to the stadium -- came in $18 million higher than anticipated, the newspaper reported.

"It is a commitment to the coach that the two phases of the expansion of the stadium will be completed by the beginning of the 2009 football season; more specifically, that one of them will be completed in 2008 and the other one in 2009," McCormick said, according to the report.

"We wanted to seize the moment, take advantage of the opportunity to expand the stadium," he said, according to the report. " It was all part of a common set of goals that we had."

Can the university also have a side deal to cut Schiano and anytime and not owe him a dime if the team goes back to its usual 4 wins or less a season performance now that Ray Rice is gone? Nevermind, they loaded up the schedule with two real games and 10 cupcakes, they'll be fine at 7-5.

Can the university also have a side deal to cut Schiano and anytime and not owe him a dime if the team goes back to its usual 4 wins or less a season performance now that Ray Rice is gone? Nevermind, they loaded up the schedule with two real games and 10 cupcakes, they'll be fine at 7-5.

Are you f'ing kidding me? FSU and UNC OOC are cupcakes? Go look at our 09 class ranking. Rutgers is NEVER going back to a 4 win team.

its not that ad of a shedule considering what the big east did last year. pittsburgh looks really good, south florida, west virgina, fresno, and even cinci all have very good teams. only about like 5 cupcakes

Are you f'ing kidding me? FSU and UNC OOC are cupcakes? Go look at our 09 class ranking. Rutgers is NEVER going back to a 4 win team.

Did you mean Fresno State? According to this http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=164 Rutgers doesn't play FSU.

Are you telling me 4-8 UNC isn't a cupcake?

Here are the 5 non-conference opponents for Rutgers:

Fresno State

UNC

Navy (on the road)

Morgan State

Army

Nice to have 4 of those games at home.

Lmfao.

Fresno State and North Carolina? :rl: Since when did they become power houses?

BTW, FSU is Florida State, the real FSU, don't be saying FSU for Fresno State.

Class rankings mean ****.

But by all means go 7-5, 8-4 at best and think you're awesome because you took down Army, Morgan State, Cincinnati, Fresno State and Syracuse.

Lmfao.

Fresno State and North Carolina? :rl: Since when did they become power houses?

BTW, FSU is Florida State, the real FSU, don't be saying FSU for Fresno State.

Class rankings mean ****.

But by all means go 7-5, 8-4 at best and think you're awesome because you took down Army, Morgan State, Cincinnati, Fresno State and Syracuse.

Fresno state will be close to a top 25 team to start the season and if you knew anything about college football (it's pretty clear you dont) you would know that UNC is a team on the rise but keep up that hateraide...

Did you mean Fresno State? According to this http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/schedule?teamId=164 Rutgers doesn't play FSU.

Are you telling me 4-8 UNC isn't a cupcake?

Here are the 5 non-conference opponents for Rutgers:

Fresno State

UNC

Navy (on the road)

Morgan State

Army

Nice to have 4 of those games at home.

LMAO at a BC loser saying ONE WORD about Rutgers' OOC schedule. Your OOC schedule makes ours look amazing. Kent State, UCF, RI and Notre Dame LMAO.

the same recruting class were there 2nd best commit they have just backed out of his verbal to rutgers to only verbal to powerhouse duke? there OOC is fine, if you look at all BCS confrence teams it`ll be around 2 BCS opponents. the Fresno game was made just a couple months ago and was just about the toughest opponet available, so cant blame them for that. Rutgers could really finish anywhere from 1st place to 5th this year in the big east the way i see it, i`m glad kick-off is just about 5 weeks away.

the same recruting class were there 2nd best commit they have just backed out of his verbal to rutgers to only verbal to powerhouse duke? there OOC is fine, if you look at all BCS confrence teams it`ll be around 2 BCS opponents. the Fresno game was made just a couple months ago and was just about the toughest opponet available, so cant blame them for that. Rutgers could really finish anywhere from 1st place to 5th this year in the big east the way i see it, i`m glad kick-off is just about 5 weeks away.
What happened with scott happens in college football. Kids go to different schools for whatever reason. I'm glad we have a few other great RB's coming. It wont hurt us.

We are awesome in 1-whatever the f#ck they call it! And we installed lights for this year! Woo Hoo! Better to be good in small time than be lousy in the big time.

The gap is closing.

UNH against Rutgers and Northwestern.

APpalachin State

To mention just a few recent upsets.

From what I heard from somebody inside the Rutgers athletic department. Schiano has become a real egomaniac ass hole recently because the high ups at Rutgers never say no to him. several of his coaches despise him now, this wasn't the case in the past.

From what I heard from somebody inside the Rutgers athletic department. Schiano has become a real egomaniac ass hole recently because the high ups at Rutgers never say no to him. several of his coaches despise him now, this wasn't the case in the past.

He was never not an ass hole. As long as he keeps bringing in classes like the 09 one he can F with whoever he wants.

Yeah because college football coaches are known as being friendly people lol. They are all hardasses. Unless he's breaking the rules or recruiting thugs he can be a hardass.

Unless Schiano is some coaching savant, he better watch what he does. If he burns bridges with his coaches, he will undermine what he wants to accomplish.

He is one incident from being like that Coach at Mizzou that partied with Co-Eds and was out of a job the next day.

Unless Schiano is some coaching savant, he better watch what he does. If he burns bridges with his coaches, he will undermine what he wants to accomplish.

He is one incident from being like that Coach at Mizzou that partied with Co-Eds and was out of a job the next day.

No he's not. He's never had ONE public indecent that was embarrassing to the university. If the worst thing that is said about his is rumors on some board that he's an a hole he'll be fine.

Archived