Jets news articles & other football articles 7/24/08

Kentucky Jet

Pennington looks to sharpen edge for Jets

Bob Glauber - NEWSDAY

10:26 PM EDT, July 23, 2008

Maybe it was because Chad Pennington had just completed a recent morning practice session under a blistering sun, and he'd rather have been headed for the locker room for a shower and a change of clothes.

Or maybe he's tired of talking about the why's and the what-if's about his situation.

Or maybe, just maybe, there really is a little edge to Pennington's voice as we chat outside Weeb Ewbank Hall.

"Shoot, if you don't have an edge, you're going to be holding a clipboard," Pennington said. "And I'm not interested in that."

Nine years, two shoulder surgeries, and one more quarterback competition into his career, Pennington has only one thing in mind. And that's to be under center when the Jets open the season Sept. 7 in Miami.

At 32 years old, and with third-year quarterback Kellen Clemens battling for the job, it's no lock that Pennington will get his football team back when Eric Mangini is good and ready to make his decision after what is expected to be a process that lasts several weeks. The Pennington-Clemens battle will be the main focus when the Jets' training camp competition unfolds beginning Thursday at Hofstra. And just as he was two years ago, when Mangini held an open audition for the quarterback job that Pennington ultimately won, the former first-round pick has nothing else on his mind except winning the job.

"I think the biggest challenge as a nine-year veteran is knowing you have to come out and prove yourself every day," Pennington said. "After 32 wins as a starting quarterback and two playoff wins and all the different things you've been able to accomplish, it doesn't matter. It's like match play in golf. You can be the world's No. 1, but on that given day, No. 50 can beat you if you don't have your best game."

Pennington knows the clock is ticking, and that Clemens, who started eight games last year, has a very good chance at winning this summer's competition. But here's the thing you have to love about Pennington: Despite the odds, this guy will give you everything he has -- which is why you cannot count him out until there is conclusive evidence that he shouldn't be the guy.

"I've always give it my best," Pennington said. "That's just the way I am. In 2006, we had the four quarterback competition, and the biggest thing is you can't get caught up as an individual. You let the coaches make the evaluations. It's how you're going to get better as a player. The rest is out of your control."

What makes this an even more compelling competition for Pennington is that he has quietly transformed his throwing motion in an attempt to get more consistency with his velocity. Arm strength has always been an issue with Pennington, especially after undergoing two surgeries to correct a rotator cuff problem. But after careful film study and discussions with several people, both within the organization and outside, Pennington decided he needed to address the issue.

It may not seem obvious to the naked eye, but Pennington has incorporated more use of his upper body and his hips in his throwing motion.

"I want more consistency on my throws and to be more consistent with the velocity and take it to the next level," he said. "It's trying to incorporate more of the torque and twisting action with my upper body where I can incorporate my hips and be more compact with the throws. When you throw with just your arm, you lose that consistency. Now I can really rely on my hips and my core."

Pennington has noticed a difference, although he admits there is one caveat.

"It's one thing to do it against air or by yourself," he said. "But when there are 22 guys out on the field, your body might want to go back to the old way. You just have to work through it."

Pennington hopes the change works and that he can prove once again to Mangini that he still belongs as the starter. The coach's decision will clearly be his biggest of the summer, and ultimately might decide whether the Jets will rebound from last year's 4-12 misery. And whether all those high-priced players the Jets brought in during the offseason will be worth the investment.

Pennington hopes he'll be the guy to make it work. Given his track record, it's too soon to bet against him, even if the odds are in Clemens' favor.

Like Pennington says, he's not interested in holding a clipboard.

LAST 'TRAIN' NOW BOARDING

JETS OPEN HOFSTRA FINALE TODAY

By MARK CANNIZZARO

Click to enlargePosted: 3:22 am

July 24, 2008

The JetsNew York Jets , doing their best to forget the 4-12 mess from a year ago, convene for the start of training-camp two-a-days this morning, with the first session set to begin at 8:45.

With a September move to their new facility in Florham Park looming, this will mark their final training camp at Hofstra in Hempstead.

When the Jets break camp at the end of next month, they'll be headed to New Jersey.

As of last night, there was no news on the contract status of Vernon Gholston, the Jets' top draft pick, though Jet GM Mike Tannenbaum has a history of getting his draft picks into camp on time.

Gholston's agent, Ben Dogra, did not return several calls yesterday.

However, Gholston, the sixth overall pick, isn't expected to be a major issue. The top four picks already have been signed, with Darren McFadden at No. 4 signed by the Raiders for six years and $60 million.

So Gholston likely will slot in at somewhere around six years and $45 million.

Gholston aside, the central theme to this training camp will be the Jets' unsettled quarterback situation.

It's a wide-open competition between veteran Chad PenningtonChad Pennington and third-year man Kellen ClemensKellen Clemens .

"It won't be a big distraction at all," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said.

"It's not any drama coming from my standpoint. Whoever wins the job, I have to make sure that my level of play is where it needs to be for whoever wins the job.

"I don't think there will be any division [inside the locker room] whatsoever for who wins the job," Cotchery went on.

"There are a lot of position battles throughout the team each and every year, so whoever wins the job, the teammates are happy for them and ready to move on through the season."

Another theme to this camp will be a less-is-more approach by coach Eric Mangini with regard to practices.

Mangini has vowed to shorten his historically long sessions.

Cotchery conceded, "there were some questions here and there" about the length of the practices, and added, "any time you can do something to help the players save their legs, we definitely welcome that.

"We were out there for a long time," Cotchery said. "I guess [Mangini] is switching it up a little bit. He just thinks we can get more work in the classroom. He's a guy that is big on research, and I think he's just been following his plan and is just tweaking some things.

"He evaluates us a lot, so I think he did a lot of self-evaluation. And I think he just tweaks some things within the program and it's just a fresh start."

So, too, is the infusion of new talent acquired in the offseason, including left guard Alan Faneca, linebacker Calvin Pace and nose tackle Kris Jenkins.

"I think everyone has real good expectations for this season," said linebacker David Harris.

"We made a lot of offseason acquisitions."

Second-year CB Darrelle Revis called the offseason acquisitions "very exciting."

"I mean, you have Alan [Faneca], Damien [Woody], on defense you have Kris [Jenkins], Calvin [Pace], and we have a lot of other guys," he said.

mark.cannizzaro@nypost.com

Jets camp to open with shorter practices

BY ERIK BOLAND | erik.boland@newsday.com

July 24, 2008

Jets linebacker David Harris said Eric Mangini's practices run like "clockwork," where everything down to the water breaks have a specific, and strictly followed, schedule.

That won't change when Mangini's third training camp at Hofstra begins today. But players will be grateful for this alteration: practices will be noticeably shorter. Mangini demands his players honestly evaluate their performances and he requires the same of himself. And in doing so this offseason, Mangini decided his training camp workouts needed modifying.

"The first year, practice went forever," Mangini said before smiling. "Even I felt it went forever."

Receiver Jerricho Cotchery, entering his fifth season with the Jets, said the change would be welcome.

"Anytime you can do something to help the players save their legs we definitely welcome that," Cotchery said yesterday on a conference call previewing training camp with Harris and cornerback Darrelle Revis.

While the 37-year-old Mangini is decidedly old-school in some regards, he is not close-minded. His decision to shorten practices - "I've tried to keep things under two hours" - came in part because of an offseason visit from Australian Institute of Sport members, who offered suggestions on issues like aiding recovery time and building endurance.

Not that camp becomes "easy" by any stretch.

"It doesn't matter how much he tweaks training camp," Cotchery said with a laugh. "A lot of work physically and mentally each and every day, and it's going to be tiring, and some days you are going to have to fight through it."

One player who won't have to fight through anything today is first-round pick Vernon Gholston, picked No. 6 overall in April's draft, remains unsigned. Revis missed the first 20 days of last year's camp because of a contract impasse and he said Gholston's biggest challenge in missing time is catching up competitively. Revis said coaches kept in constant contact to keep him informed.

"The only thing I was behind in was reps, playing against each other and competing for a starting job, which I didn't get to do," Revis said.

Gholston, a defensive end taken with the intent of converting him into a pass-rushing outside linebacker, was part of an offseason program to address needs. The Jets spent $140 million on free agent contracts and also swung a trade for nose tackle Kris Jenkins.

"We did great this offseason," Revis said.

An offseason that officially ends this morning.

5 Jets Predictions on the Eve of Training Camp

By Joe Caporoso | July 23rd, 2008

E-mail | Print | Share

It is finally here. Tomorrow morning the Jets strap up the pads and all the specualting could end because real football will be taking place. Here are 5 last predictions of what to expect in training camp for the 2008 Jets:

1. A Tight Quarterback Battle

Vernon Gholston, Jets trying to hammer out contract

By RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, July 23rd 2008, 10:25 PM

Antonelli/News

Vernon Gholston and the Jets are trying to hammer out a contract.

Come to the start of the Jets' training camp Thursday at Hofstra and you will see a two-headed quarterback and a 1,270-pound monster. There also could be an invisible man and a giant elephant in the room.

The public will get its first glimpse of the Chad Pennington-Kellen Clemens competition and the team's four big newcomers (emphasis on " big"), but the key question is whether prized rookie Vernon Gholston will show.

As of Wednesday night, Gholston, the Jets' top draft pick (No. 6 overall), still was unsigned. However, the two sides made late progress, according to two NFL sources, and were expected to have a marathon negotiating session with the hope of producing an agreement by Thursday.

If the former Ohio State pass rusher isn't on the field for the 8:45 a.m. practice, it would mean a rookie holdout for the second straight year. Cornerback Darrelle Revis missed 21 days last summer in an acrimonious contract dispute. Previously, it was a virtual gimme that the Jets would sign their draft picks on time, producing a streak of nine straight years.

That Gholston wasn't signed by Wednesday's reporting date was somewhat surprising, considering the top four picks in the draft are under contract. But recent changes in the collective bargaining agreement complicated matters, especially with regard to contract length. By rule, Gholston can sign for up to sixyears, but it could end up being a five-year deal with about $24 million in guarantees.

Gholston probably will be paid in the neighborhood of $8 million to $9 million per year, making it one of the richest in team history. Because his school semester didn't end until early June, Gholston wasn't permitted by league rule to participate in many of the Jets' offseason activities, putting him behind the other rookies. Neither he nor the team can afford a lengthy holdout.

"One of the things I did (last year) was work out on my own, so I was prepared," Revis said Wednesday on a conference call, reflecting on the effects of his long contract impasse. "When it was time to come in, I was ready. The coaches were calling me, keeping me up to date. I'm sure they're doing the same thing with Vernon."

Gholston will show up eventually, but not Brett Favre, the aforementioned elephant. Even though the Daily News has reported the Jets aren't interested in a trade, the Favre rumors are rampant, and they won't die, in part, because the Jets won't address the matter publicly. GM Mike Tannenbaum, through a team spokesman, declined to comment, citing tampering rules.

"We have guys here, so I wouldn't even do that," wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery said of a potential Favre deal. "My teammates feel very confident in the guys we have."

The Jets apparently believe they can win with Pennington or Clemens. The one who emerges as the starter should benefit from an improved supporting cast that includes guard Alan Faneca and tackle Damien Woody. Defensively, they added massive nose tackle Kris Jenkins (360 pounds) and linebacker Calvin Pace.

No doubt, the Jets will be bigger in the trenches, with a fatter payroll. Cost of the four acquisitions: $140 million in total contracts. Eric Mangini, trying to maximize the new talent, is planning an energy-saver approach, shortening practices.

"I think he did a lot of self-evaluation, and he tweaked some things within the program," Cotchery said. "It's a fresh start. I don't think it's something drastic. I just think it's something he's tweaking, and it's refreshing."

NONSTARTERS: Backup RBs Musa Smith and Jesse Chatman were placed on the nonfootball injury list with undisclosed conditions. ... Backup OT Clint Oldenburg was activated from the nonfootball injury list. ... Wednesday's practices are at 8:45 and 5:45.

AFC division-by-division breakdown

By Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

AFC WEST

Denver Broncos

* 2007 rewind: 7-9, second in AFC West. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Broncos complex, Englewood. Veterans and rookies report today.

* Best adds: LB Boss Bailey (Lions), WR Keary Colbert (Panthers), WR Darrell Jackson (49ers), LB Niko Koutouvides (Seahawks), S Marlon McCree (Chargers), S Marquand Manuel (Panthers), C Casey Wiegmann (Chiefs).

* Biggest losses: K Jason Elam (Falcons), WR Javon Walker (Raiders), C/G Chris Myers (Texans).

* Rookie to watch: T Ryan Clady (first round).

* Summer job: The Broncos' first three wins of the disappointing 2007 season came off Elam's right foot, and the veteran had four winners overall. That is a big hole for a team that has played it so close to the scoreboard vest in recent seasons. Also, most opposing personnel executives believe one of the biggest defensive failings in recent years has been the pass rush, and if it isn't better, the Broncos will have trouble changing their fortunes on defense.

Kansas City Chiefs

* 2007 rewind: 4-12, tied for third in AFC West. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: University of Wisconsin River Falls. Veterans and rookies report today.

* Best adds: LB Demorrio Williams (Falcons), DB/KR B.J. Sams (Ravens).

* Biggest losses: DE Jared Allen (Vikings), C Casey Wiegmann (Broncos), WR Samie Parker (Broncos).

* Rookies to watch: DT Glenn Dorsey (first round), Branden Albert (first round).

* Summer job: A team run down by age in 2007 has turned over its roster - 12 draft picks alone - in hopes of turning its fortunes. That's a lot to mesh together this season, especially with large questions on offense. RB Larry Johnson remains, but quarterback still is a riddle, the receiving corps is unproven and they are poised to start a rookie at left tackle (Albert). They have big expectations for DE Tamba Hali, who will replace Allen. But Allen's 151/2 sacks and all-out effort will be missed.

Oakland Raiders

* 2007 rewind: 4-12, tied for third in AFC West. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Napa Valley Marriott, Napa Valley, Calif. Rookies and veterans report today.

* Best adds: WR Javon Walker (Broncos), S Gibril Wilson (Giants), DT Williams Joseph (Giants), DE Kalimba Edwards (Lions).

* Biggest losses: WR Jerry Porter (Jaguars), DE Chris Clemons (Eagles), DE Tyler Brayton (Panthers), DB/KR Chris Carr (Titans).

* Rookie to watch: Darren McFadden (first round).

* Summer job: Owner Al Davis has tossed a dump truck load of cash around in yet another search for respectability. So a roster in flux that comes into the season facing playoffs-or-else expectations also has to find some chemistry. And nobody's seat is hotter than coach Lane Kiffin's, whose job security hangs by a frayed thread and must mold a roster he had little impact in creating.

San Diego Chargers

* 2007 rewind: 11-5, first in AFC West. Lost 21-12 to New England in AFC Championship Game.

* Training camp: Chargers complex, San Diego. Rookies reported Sunday, veterans report today.

* Best add: LB Derek Smith (49ers).

* Biggest losses: RB Michael Turner (Falcons), CB Drayton Florence (Jaguars), S Marlon McCree (Broncos).

* Rookie to watch: FB Jacob Hester (second round).

* Summer job: As the team everyone else in the division is chasing, they have largely stood pat in free agency the past two years, choosing to continue to shape a still-youthful roster that has tasted some success. They need to see if that will be enough to win the division and get them over the postseason hump. QB Philip Rivers must take another leap in his development and do-it-all RB LaDainian Tomlinson must remain healthy.

AFC EAST

Buffalo Bills

* 2007 rewind: 7-9, second in AFC East. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: St. John Fisher College, Pittsford, N.Y. Rookies and veterans report Friday.

* Best add: LB Kawika Mitchell (Giants).

* Biggest loss: CB Jason Webster (Patriots).

* Rookie to watch: CB Leodis McKelvin (first round).

* Summer job: Groom the young guys. If McKelvin and WR James Hardy start as expected, that will be 10 starters of the past three drafts.

Miami Dolphins

* 2007 rewind: 1-15, fourth in AFC East. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Dolphins complex, Davie, Fla. Rookies and veterans report Friday.

* Best add: Ernest Wilford (Jaguars).

* Biggest loss: LB Zach Thomas (Cowboys).

* Rookie to watch: QB Chad Henne (second round).

* Summer job: It's the Parcells way right now, which means lots of turnover and a training camp built around the sole purpose of seeing who will survive and buy into the program.

New England Patriots

* 2007 rewind: 16-0, first in AFC East. Lost 17-14 to New York Giants in Super Bowl XLII.

* Training camp: Gillette Stadium, Foxboro, Mass. Rookies reported Monday, veterans reported Wednesday.

* Best add: LB Victor Hobson (Jets).

* Biggest loss: CB Asante Samuel (Eagles).

* Rookie to watch: CB Terrence Wheatley (second round).

* Summer job: Find out if their offensive line, which was dominated in the Super Bowl, merely had a bad day or has bigger issues to contend with against opposing defenses that believe they now have the blueprint to beat them.

New York Jets

* 2007 rewind: 4-12, third in AFC East. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Hofstra University, Hempstead, N.Y. Rookies reported July 16, veterans reported Wednesday.

* Best add: G Alan Faneca (Steelers).

* Biggest loss: S Erik Coleman (Falcons).

* Rookie to watch: TE Dustin Keller (first round).

* Summer job: Figure out who will throw the ball. Jets coach Eric Mangini has said the competition is open between 32-year-old Chad Pennington and Kellen Clemens.

AFC NORTH

Baltimore Ravens

* 2007 rewind: 5-11, fourth in AFC North. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: McDaniel College, Westminster, Md. Rookies reported Monday, veterans reported Wednesday.

* Best add: CB Frank Walker (Packers).

* Biggest loss: DB/KR B.J. Sams (Chiefs).

* Rookie to watch: QB Joe Flacco (first round).

* Summer job: Their plan seems to be to put Kyle Boller back at QB. They need new offensive coordinator Cam Cameron to make it work.

Cincinnati Bengals

* 2007 rewind: 7-9, third in AFC North. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Georgetown College, Georgetown, Ky. Rookies and veterans report Sunday.

* Best add: DE Antwan Odom (Titans).

* Biggest loss: DE Justin Smith (49ers).

* Rookie to watch: WR Andre Caldwell (third round).

* Summer job: To repair a run defense that consistently has dragged this team into mediocrity in Marvin Lewis' tenure as coach.

Cleveland Browns

* 2007 rewind: 10-6, second in AFC North. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Browns complex, Berea, Ohio. Rookies and veterans reported Wednesday.

* Best add: WR Donte Stallworth (Patriots).

* Biggest loss: CB Leigh Bodden (Lions).

* Rookie to watch: LB Beau Bell (fourth round).

* Summer job: Same old, same old for this playoff hopeful - it has surrendered at least 129 rushing yards a game every season since returning in 1999.

Pittsburgh Steelers

* 2007 rewind: 10-6, first in AFC North. Lost 31-29 to Jacksonville in AFC wild-card game.

* Training camp: St. Vincent College, Latrobe, Pa. Rookies and veterans report Sunday.

* Best add: LB Keyaron Fox (Chiefs).

* Biggest loss: G Alan Faneca (Jets).

* Rookie to watch: WR Limas Sweed (second round).

* Summer job: After Faneca's departure and the ineffectiveness of Sean Mahan at center last season, the offensive line suddenly is a concern.

AFC SOUTH

Houston Texans

* 2007 rewind: 8-8, fourth in AFC South. Missed playoffs.

* Training camp: Texans complex, Houston. Rookies reported Sunday, veterans report Friday.

* Best add: G/C Chris Myers (Broncos).

* Biggest loss: CB Von Hutchins (Falcons).

* Rookie to watch: CB Antwaun Molden (second round).

* Summer job: Find two more wins for a young team in a difficult division. An effective run game could make it happen.

Indianapolis Colts

* 2007 rewind: 13-3, first in AFC South. Lost 28-24 to San Diego in AFC divisional round.

* Training camp: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre Haute, Ind. Rookies and veterans report today.

* Best add: RB Dominic Rhodes (Raiders).

* Biggest loss: G Jake Scott (Titans).

* Rookie to watch: LB Philip Wheeler (third round).

* Summer job: Keep an eye on QB Peyton Manning's left knee - he had an infected bursa sac removed this month - because the Colts routinely go as far as Manning can carry them.

Jacksonville Jaguars

* 2007 rewind: 11-5, second in AFC South. Lost 31-20 to New England in AFC divisional round.

* Training camp: Jacksonville Municipal Stadium, Jacksonville, Fla. Rookies and veterans report Friday.

* Best add: WR Jerry Porter (Raiders).

* Biggest loss: DT Marcus Stroud (Bills).

* Rookie to watch: CB Trae Williams (fifth round).

* Summer job: With Stroud gone, this team has to find a pass rush. That means two prized rookies - Derrick Harvey and Quentin Groves - will have to come along quickly.

Tennessee Titans

* 2007 rewind: 10-6, third in AFC South. Lost 17-6 to San Diego in AFC wild-card game.

* Training camp: Titans complex, Nashville, Tenn. Rookies and veterans report Friday.

* Best add: G Jake Scott (Colts).

* Biggest loss: G Benji Olson (retired).

* Rookie to watch: RB Chris Johnson (first round).

* Summer job: Continue the development of QB Vince Young, who has to find a way to stress defenses when they keep him in the pocket.

An inside look at New York Jets camp

Thursday, July 24, 2008

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

On paper, the Jets look like a solid (if unspectacular) team. General manager Mike Tannenbaum appears to have spent owner Woody Johnson's money in all the right places, putting together what should be a much-improved defense and completely overhauled offensive line.

Coach Eric Mangini must settle on veteran Chad Pennington or third-year pro Kellen Clemens at quarterback, but an argument can be made that the Jets can win with either if their defense and offensive line live up to expectations. Establishing the run appears to be the way Mangini wants to play.

The arrival of nose tackle Kris Jenkins and linebackers Calvin Pace and sixth overall pick Vernon Gholston finally gives the Jets the right personnel to play the 3-4 scheme.

The pieces to the puzzle seem to be there. The question is whether Mangini and his staff can put it all together.

WHY THEY'RE BETTER THAN LAST YEAR

Well, we can name more than 140 million reasons. That's how much the team spent in free agency. Upgrades on the offensive and defensive lines and a favorable schedule for a team that finished 4-12 a year ago should equal success. Reaching the playoffs, as they did in 2006 -- Mangini's first season -- is another question entirely.

WHY THEY AREN'T

The Jets still don't have a franchise quarterback. They can win with savvy veteran Chad Pennington and perhaps strong-armed Kellen Clemens, but can either lead them to the playoffs? The bet here is Pennington. Pass-catching rookie tight end Dustin Keller could be a major factor working the middle of the field.

WHAT TRAINING CAMP WILL RESOLVE

The Jets made considerable moves on the defensive line and at linebacker, but they essentially stood still in the defensive backfield. Darrelle Revis made an immediate impact at left cornerback, but the opposite side of the coverage will fall to either Justin Miller (missed 2007 with a knee injury) or David Barrett. Eric Smith could be the answer at free safety.

WHAT IT WON'T

What the Jets' revamped offensive line will actually do in terms of protecting the quarterback and opening holes for RB Thomas Jones won't be known until the group is tested in live games. That could take several games. Ditto for a defense that was underwhelming a year ago. Mangini's decision to lighten up in training camp sounds like a good idea.

PLAYERS TO WATCH

NT Kris Jenkins (360 pounds) could emerge as the key to the season. LB Calvin Pace was given $42 million to make plays. LG Alan Faneca, who snagged the richest contract of any offensive lineman, is in the spotlight after the Pete Kendall debacle broke down the line last season.

POSITION TO WATCH

On and off the field, things figure to be interesting at tight end. Chris Baker is expected to continue his verbal assault on the organization while Keller and veteran Bubba Franks try to fill the void. Baker will begin camp on the physically unable to perform list.

N.Y. Jets, Gholston are close to contract

by Dave Hutchinson/The Star-Ledger

Wednesday July 23, 2008, 7:38 PM

The Jets and representatives for their first-round pick, pass-rushing linebacker Vernon Gholston, are close to a deal that could put Gholston on the practice field as early as Thursday or Friday.

Gholston, who is in New York, is said to be eager to report, especially after he missed nearly all of the offseason program because he had to wait until his class at Ohio State finished out the semester. He was the No. 6 pick in April's draft.

The stumbling block in contract talks is that Gholston's camp wants a five-year deal and the Jets want six, according to someone with knowledge of the negotiations. That person spoke on condition of anonymity because he's not authorized to speak publicly on behalf of the Jets or Gholston.

If Gholston doesn't report Thursday, it'll be the second consecutive year the Jets opened training camp without their top pick. Last year, cornerback Darrelle Revis staged a 20-day holdout, also over the length of the contract. The Revis camp wanted four and the Jets six. Revis ended up with a six-year deal but has the option to buy back the final two years and get out of the contract.

Thus far, four of the top six first-round picks have signed: Miami's Jake Long at No. 1 (five years, $57 million), St. Louis' Chris Long at No. 2 (six years, $56.5 million), Atlanta's Matt Ryan at No. 3 (six years, $72 million) and Oakland's Darren McFadden at No. 4 (six years, $60 million).

Kansas City's Glenn Dorsey at No. 5 and New Orleans' Sedrick Ellis at No. 7 have yet to sign.

As the retooled Jets begin training camp Thursday at Hofstra with a double session, they're almost giddy about the fact that coach Eric Mangini has promised to lighten up, having practice last no longer than two hours. He has also reduced the number of two-a-day sessions.

"No doubt," said wide receiver Jerricho Cotchery during a conference call. "Anytime you can do something to help the players save their legs, we definitely welcome that. ... It's just refreshing to know that the coaches are doing a lot to make sure your legs are in the shape they need to be in."

Veterans griped the past two seasons about how Mangini ran training camp practices, privately saying they were beat up before the season started.

"There have been some questions (about practices) here and there," said Cotchery, "but I think coach made his own decision."

Asked if he expected camp to be a breeze, Cotchery quickly said, "It doesn't matter how much you tweak training camp, it's going to be tough."

One huge addition, literally and figuratively, is 360-pound nose tackle Kris Jenkins, who'll anchor the 3-4 defense.

"Everybody knows what (Jenkins) is capable of," said inside linebacker David Harris. "He's a (three-time) Pro Bowler. He's a big guy. He takes up space. He'll get double teams. I think he's going to fit into the system very well and everybody is going to benefit from it."

RT Clint Oldenburg was taken off the active/non-football injury list and will practice Thursday. ... Mangini said he doesn't expect TE Chris Baker to be on the physically unable to perform list for an extended period.

Jets | Baker not expected to be on PUP list for extended period

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:40:19 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of The Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets head coach Eric Mangini said he doesn't expect TE Chris Baker (back) to be on the Physically Unable to Perform list for an extended period.

Jets | Oldenberg taken off NFI list

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:39:29 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of The Star-Ledger, reports New York Jets OT Clint Oldenburg (undisclosed) has been taken off the active/non-football injury list. He will practice Thursday, July 24.

Jets | Team close to contract with Gholston

Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:38:51 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of The Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets are close to a contract with rookie LB Vernon Gholston. Gholston could be on the practice field as early as Thursday, July 24, or Friday, July 25. The stumbling block in contract talks is that Gholston wants a five-year deal and the Jets want him to sign a six-year contract, according to someone with knowledge of the negotiations.

Archived