The "Brett F-F-F-F-F-Favre? Holy Cow!" Edition of Post of the Week - August 7, 2008

POTW Bot

Well, Thor is sitting with me in Section 124 for the annual Jets-Giants Preseason Game and I'm kind of scared. What should I bring for protection and should I bring a blanket?

I'm thinking that we may need 3 seats and remove the armrests.

124 is actually more like 280, and I'm not exactly svelte.

The Nomination: "HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA" anskyruben

Editor's Note: 124+Thor99 = 2 tons of fun? Have a good time snuggling, chubby chasers. :lol:

Topic: working through anxiety : a discourse on the launch of the 2008 nfl season

they say (they being who they are, of course) the evolution of the game has morphed the nfl season from a 4-5 month fling into a full-on, yearlong love affair. fans understand it's more of an eternal bond. though we might never meet, much less break bread, with our favorite players on our favorite team, we feel a connection to them; to the colors and logo they represent.

the nfl offseason is now the precursor to success. movement, or lack thereof, by your teams FO is judged by the fans and media as speculation runs rampant. this is the time when the game becomes more of a daily/weekly soap opera. the draft auditions new "characters" (some of them really are characters, hopefully going forward most of them will have it) for a role in the show, the diva du jour is spicing things up with some fiery rhetoric and questionable implications all in the vain of a new deal or new digs and the troublemakers keep the ball bouncing true to life: tragically funny in the random way it ricochets.

yet, even though it isn't football, it's still football... it's just not football. by providing the perception that it's always open for business, the game manages to entertain when there really isn't much business (read: meaningful games) going on. through it all i've had wonderful discussions and illuminating debates about this beloved sport; about my team and it's improvements/shortcomings. i've speculated and analyzed and criticized and contemplated. i've fed my hunger for football with every conceivably acceptable alternative to stave off withdrawal pangs, but the proximity of the 2008 nfl season finds me thirsting.

so, here i sit. waiting. counting. days. hours. minutes. and for a second i enable notions of grandeur for the upcoming season, looking to the preseason to validate my theories. okay... i concede i afforded the thought more than just that, but i digress. thursday cannot arrive quickly enough, let alone the regular season. i've waited with diligent patience for over 8 months to see a jet game and have been kept sedated by a maelstrom of offseason activity, but no more. it's time for expectations and speculations to add up to something. there's nothing left to talk about. there's football to play.

what's the point?

Thor99 noticed a drop in my posting frequency and i can't fault him for his concerns, especially when he's right. this was my attempt at an apology to him and a makeshift tribute to everyone here at jetnation for keeping me sane. thanks, everybody.

The Nomination: "That's a perfect description of the offseason. Or of most Jets seasons after about Week 6 too." war ensemble

Editor's Note: The post and the nomination say it all - thank goodness for football.

asked how how the injury was

and he was like what injury

so i was like then why you not practicing

he said he can't disclose that

it can't be that serious

Wasn't anyone at all concerned that Harris was conversing with a talking bush?

The Nomination: "POTW NOM!!" Alk

Editor's Note: Maybe he's Moses - try lighting the bush on fire next time and see if he comes up with a new defense. If nothing else, the fire will do some good for us...

Topic: The Official JN: Is anyone having a good day today? Thread

NO!!!! I look like a freaking nerd with my new glasses!!!! F*** all of you who say life begins at 40. I had good vision in my 30's

How old is SeaPatsy? She has to be as blind as a bat.

The Nomination: ":rl:" BP

Editor's Note: Blind, deaf, dumb - basically senseless. Or maybe Jetman really is a good guy. Nah.

Topic: Jets try for Favre but BUCS closing in on a deal- Daily News- 8/6/08

At this point, I think this is too late. I have serious doubts as to Favre picking up an entirely different offense to what he's played in for some 15 straight years, as well as getting timing down with 5-6 new WR's and 3 new TE's. All in time for the season to start in a month. And on top of all of it, he's coming off a season that he absolutely wouldn't repeat even in Green Bay anyway.

Too many are idealizing a 39 year-old Brett Favre like he's a 29 year-old Peyton Manning that can do no wrong or like he'd be an automatic anything. Like it assures the team of anything other than enduring interceptions when he gets frustrated.

His numbers against good defenses last year wouldn't even make Kellen Clemens hold his head up high. His numbers against scrub defenses was off-the-charts good. But he still sucked against Philly, both games against Chicago, and actually did worse than Kellen Clemens against both Washington AND Dallas despite his 15 years of NFL experience & better talent around him at virtually every position on offense. And that season slammed shut with him chucking up one of his trademark, game/season-ending Favreceptions to the other team.

And I'm not saying Kellen Clemens is a better QB; right now he doesn't look markedly better than Brett Ratliff let alone Brett Favre. But for those quoting Favre's wonderful stats from 2007 - with a team & play book he knew COLD:

vs Washington:

Favre: 19/37 (51.4%) - 188 yds - 0 TD's, 2 INT's - (43.5 rating if anyone cares about that #)

Clemens: 23/42 (54.8%) - 226 yds - 1 TD, 0 INT's - (78.1 rating)

vs Dallas (they were both awful, but the point is Favre was not only no better; he was worse):

Favre: 5/14 (35.7%) - 56 yds - 0 TD's, 2 INT's - (8.9 rating)

Clemens: 12/27 (44.4%) - 142 yds - 0 TD's, 1 INT - (45.6 rating)

And we're to expect him to to so much better with a play book he's never seen before, terminology he's never used before, receivers he's never thrown to before, and a month to prepare for it all, at 39 years old? And this will mean better performances than he did in Green Bay?

Talk about rose-colored glasses.

The Nomination: "Outstanding observation, one that SHOULD put this Favre nonsense to bed." slats

Editor's Note: Since when is poop rose colored. Just say no to Farve!

Topic: 5 hours prior to game?

I think they should make the beers $800 each. Prohibit outside alcohol and then not charge a PSL.

Nice... good plan.

Or they could just open up their own fan website and charge a subscription price for "premium content".

Gold in them their hills.

BZ

The Nomination: "BZ made a funny!" Max

Editor's Note: Nah, a website with a subscription plan for "premium content" will just make you fat an complacent - ohh, wait, uhhh, scratch that - sorry.

Topic: Jet's Current Offer for Favre

How the **** do you know where Chad and Kellen will take us? If anything's been proven it's that Chad probably would get us a 10-6 playoff season. He done it in 06 with a very average supporting cast. Yet now the best he can do is 8-8? With a much better team? WTF?

we got to 10-6 despite chad not because of him. if we had a warrior who could pound the ball where it needs to go and shower the youngsters with proven experience/leadership then i say do it

man you are a pessimist. if you were alive during st patricks time, you probably tell him that learning to play the flute was not worth it either

The Nomination: ":rl:" BP

Editor's Note: St. Pied "Patrick" Piper? PS - never were any snakes in Ireland, at least until kotite went for a visit.

Topic: Jet's Current Offer for Favre

He's a soon to be 39 year old QB, will likely play no more than one season, will more than likely bomb in the way he has in 2 of the last 3 years and will not bring us any closer to a Superbowl.

Yeah, a possible 1st rounder for that? Why not.:roll:

Do you understand at all how escalators work? I swear you do not pay attention at all unless it helps whatever your agenda is. IT WOULD NOT BE A FIRST IF HE DOES WHAT YOU SAY HE WILL. It probably only would become a first if he makes the pro-bowl and we get to the superbowl.

Honestley Favre to the Jets is a *****ing dream for us. At first I was hesitant but look what it will get us...

- 2 to 3 years of one of the top QBs of all time who just came off statistically one of his best seasons

- A stop-gap so we can find a legit QB to succeed Favre. I'm a huge Clemens fan and even I am starting to believe he will become nothing but a back up. Pennington is a joke and should not have been in the long term plans for us ever since he first tore his rotator cuff

The Nomination: "the Iceman nails it and schools Irish Jet with some cold hard truth" SoFlaJets

Editor's Note: Pennington is not in the least way funny, other than looking. Say no to Farve - hope for Garcia, all that dude does is win games.

Topic: Screw Favre, here's why...

http://www.snopes.com/sports/football/maddencurse.asp

The Madden curse!

Favre will be hurt by week 3!

As opposed to Pennington who will be on IR by week 2 with a torn fallopian tube.

The Nomination: "Just too damn funny" Kidhuman

Editor's Note: Smizzle, do not speak ill of the deceased...good luck, Mr. Pennington, wherever you are...

Topic: Thank you Chad Pennington....

Thank you for nothing, Thank for never beating a top ten defense. Thanks for missing more games than you played. Thank for all of those 4th quarter picks when you could have instead had the game winning drive. Thank for the lack of arm strength and making things harder for out RB's. Thank for being just not ****ty enough to be able to beat up on the dregs of the league and fool some of our slow witted brethren.

AND A BIG THANKS TO FAVRE FOR US NOT HAVING TO PUT SISST BOY PENNE ALA NOODLE ARM OR "KELLEN HAPPY FEET" CLEMENS OUT THERE!

Bro have a little class. Pennington went out there against the Steelers knowing he was putting his career in jeopardy. He did it anyway, no questions asked.

That is courage. The results weren't there, no doubt but all that has been well documented. If Chad is going, no need to blast him on the way out the door. He has taken enough (more than enough) heat and he has handled it with class the entire time.

The Nomination: "Well said" JonEJet

Editor's Note: Exactly right, Max, exactly right. The man does not deserve our contempt on the way out the door, her deserves our appreciation and thanks.

Topic:The Official Photoshop thread

So I don't imagine anyone will see this tonight since everyone is busy masturbating all over eachother over the whole Favre thing. I guess I won't have to worry about it being bumped for a while. Here's a nice little welcome back present for Jetman67. Oh yeah and Bugeater. This will give you an idea of what you have to look forward to. :lol:

JetmanNerd.jpg

The Nomination: "Too frickin' funny" Thor99

Editor's Note: F you, Alk - my damn coffee is all over the table now. Now pass the frickin' turkey legs...

Well, now that the Brett Favre era is beginning (not sure how I feel about that) and the Chad Pennington era is over (am sure how I feel about that), I'm thinking that two posts - both from late in the week - are our winners this week:

PER ESPN

SAYS MARK SCHLERETH AND STUART LAZYEYE SCOTT

sorry for caps

AND

Thank you for nothing, Thank for never beating a top ten defense. Thanks for missing more games than you played. Thank for all of those 4th quarter picks when you could have instead had the game winning drive. Thank for the lack of arm strength and making things harder for out RB's. Thank for being just not ****ty enough to be able to beat up on the dregs of the league and fool some of our slow witted brethren.

AND A BIG THANKS TO FAVRE FOR US NOT HAVING TO PUT SISST BOY PENNE ALA NOODLE ARM OR "KELLEN HAPPY FEET" CLEMENS OUT THERE!

Bro have a little class. Pennington went out there against the Steelers knowing he was putting his career in jeopardy. He did it anyway, no questions asked.

That is courage. The results weren't there, no doubt but all that has been well documented. If Chad is going, no need to blast him on the way out the door. He has taken enough (more than enough) heat and he has handled it with class the entire time.

Congratulations to Blackout™ and Max on being this week's winners! These two fine - um - gentlemen (?) have won POTW on a day that brings the New York Jets a new era in their history by sending the heart and soul of the team away while bringing in the heart and soul of a small town in Wisconsin. As exciting as it is to watch a future Hall of Fame player join the Jets, it is just as hard to watch the former heart and soul of that same team exit the building. I'm certain the Jets and the fans will be better off for having both Pennington and Favre as the leaders of this franchise. The two winning posts, I think, reflect this idea much better than I could actually write it down. Congrats to Blackout™ and Max - wear the badge with pride this week, fellers:

potw.jpg

Best of luck to you, Mr. Pennington, and go get'em Brett - let's see the magic!

See y'all next week -

gb

Archived