The David Barrett thread

Sperm Edwards

Probably say goodbye to him as well. There was a good chance of him getting cut before the season began as it stood. Now with Favre's $12M salary, the Jets will probably need the $3.6M they save by cutting David Barrett. With Pennington going also, the Jets would clear $9.6M on the 2008 cap just from these two players. And then wouldn't be forced into any other difficult decisions with other players. Those two alone should keep us under the cap even without making any alterations to Favre's contract.

Of course there's also the chance we give Favre a redone deal as well (pay him the same amount - $12M - but convert some of that into a new signing bonus). Problem with that is we're not giving him a 7 year deal so any new SB won't be amortized over a long period of time. So we wouldn't realize that much savings by doing that & if he retires after the year it leaves us with millions in dead cap space.

I'd rather just cut these two & keep Favre at his current deal. This way if he gets fickle again after the year at least it's only the pick we lose, instead of the pick and still lose cap space.

Anyway...

Bye, Barrett.

Probably say goodbye to him as well. There was a good chance of him getting cut before the season began as it stood. Now with Favre's $12M salary, the Jets will probably need the $3.6M they save by cutting David Barrett. With Pennington going also, the Jets would clear $9.6M on the 2008 cap just from these two players. And then wouldn't be forced into any other difficult decisions with other players. Those two alone should keep us under the cap even without making any alterations to Favre's contract.

Of course there's also the chance we give Favre a redone deal as well (pay him the same amount - $12M - but convert some of that into a new signing bonus). Problem with that is we're not giving him a 7 year deal so any new SB won't be amortized over a long period of time. So we wouldn't realize that much savings by doing that & if he retires after the year it leaves us with millions in dead cap space.

I'd rather just cut these two & keep Favre at his current deal. This way if he gets fickle again after the year at least it's only the pick we lose, instead of the pick and still lose cap space.

Anyway...

Bye, Barrett.

Your lips -> God's ear

Anyway...

Bye, Barrett.

ideally, a deal will be redone for Favre that gives him his 12M upfront this year, but lowers the cap burden. At the same time, if he chooses to retire after this season, he'd have to pay back some of the signing bonus (6M) to keep the cap hit down. Heck, I'd even offer him 15M up front with a 5M repayment next yr (lowering our hit to 2.5M next yr if he does retire)

ideally, a deal will be redone for Favre that gives him his 12M upfront this year, but lowers the cap burden. At the same time, if he chooses to retire after this season, he'd have to pay back some of the signing bonus (6M) to keep the cap hit down. Heck, I'd even offer him 15M up front with a 5M repayment next yr (lowering our hit to 2.5M next yr if he does retire)

It depends. If we weren't going to make any more splashes in FA, there isn't much point in clearing up cap space for 2008.

Take the medicine up front if it can fit. We have enough that's going to hit the cap in upcoming seasons with all the other high-bonus-money players we've signed. A multi-million dollar cap hit if/when Favre calls it quits again can be avoided.

It depends. If we weren't going to make any more splashes in FA, there isn't much point in clearing up cap space for 2008.

Take the medicine up front if it can fit. We have enough that's going to hit the cap in upcoming seasons with all the other high-bonus-money players we've signed. A multi-million dollar cap hit if/when Favre calls it quits again can be avoided.

Sperm pays in cash - credit cards do not exist in his world, and I like it.

Doesn't that depend on the future CBA? With them opting out it may (or may not) pay to gamble that the cap will skyrocket. Since they opted out of the CBA doesn't that mean there is no cap in the future-until it's negotiated into the new deal?

Doesn't that depend on the future CBA? With them opting out it may (or may not) pay to gamble that the cap will skyrocket. Since they opted out of the CBA doesn't that mean there is no cap in the future-until it's negotiated into the new deal?

I thought of that, but my thinking was more in line with wondering who we would need that additional cap room for in 2008?

Though I guess we could always recoup it with the ol' mid-season new contract NLTBE/LTBE incentives like Kris Jenkins recording 150 special teams tackles or something.

Archived