Jets were after Lynch

MagicBizkit87

http://www.fannation.com/truth_and_rumors/nfl?page=1

According to a league source, free agent safety John Lynch has agreed to join the Patriots. The source did not have terms of the deal, but said Lynch had decided to sign with the Patriots. NFL.com reported the deal was for one-year and $1.5 million. The source said the New York Jets also expressed interested in Lynch, but that the 15-year veteran chose to play for the Patriots, who tried to sign him as a free agent in 2004, when he decided to go from the Tampa Bay Buccaneers to the Denver Broncos.

Expressing interest doesn't tell how interested they were. We may have been very interested or not very. Doesn't mean we were spurned. Apparently we also expressed interest in Ty Law but didn't offer him a contract that we know of & he's still a FA so far.

I think that the Jets "interest" was also pushed by the Pats... this way it looks like they got a guy we wanted...

My gut tells me that this interest was nothing more then hopes of driving up the price for the Pats. This is because my brain tells me that there is no FREAKIN way that we have the cap room to sign him.

That is a good point regarding the cap room. I also don't know where he would play.

My gut tells me that this interest was nothing more then hopes of driving up the price for the Pats. This is because my brain tells me that there is no FREAKIN way that we have the cap room to sign him.

Unfortunetly for you NE didnt over pay. Accrued Vets also count less against the cap.

NFL Minimum Salary Levels for the 2008 season Rookie- $295,0001 Credited Season - $370,0002 Credited Seasons- $445,000 3 Credited Seasons - $520,000 4 to 6 Credited Seasons- $605,000 * 7 to 9 Credited Seasons - $730,000 * 10+ Credited Seasons - $830,000 * *All salaries for players with four or more years of experience AND who sign contracts that qualify for veteran's exemption will only count $445,000 (the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons) against teams' salary caps.

Face it, NY could have afforded Lynch but he did not want to play for a team about to have a train wreck.

Unfortunetly for you NE didnt over pay. Accrued Vets also count less against the cap.

NFL Minimum Salary Levels for the 2008 season Rookie- $295,0001 Credited Season - $370,0002 Credited Seasons- $445,000 3 Credited Seasons - $520,000 4 to 6 Credited Seasons- $605,000 * 7 to 9 Credited Seasons - $730,000 * 10+ Credited Seasons - $830,000 * *All salaries for players with four or more years of experience AND who sign contracts that qualify for veteran's exemption will only count $445,000 (the minimum salary of a player with two credited seasons) against teams' salary caps.

Face it, NY could have afforded Lynch but he did not want to play for a team about to have a train wreck.

It's more likely that the Jets weren't offering him a starting job.

Yeah, Lynch rather play for a team that has to cheat to win games.

Archived