Erik Boland good read...Peter King

flgreen

Erik Boland: Inside the Jets

Breaking news, commentary and insider information on the New York Jets

August 18, 2008

Jets release Nate Lyles, and another thing

The Jets waived DB Nate Lyles this afternoon. This is what I wrote when they waived him July 22, just before camp:

"Proving once again how tough a business the NFL is, the Jets released safety Nate Lyles, originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 2. Lyles was one of the feel-good stories of the OTAs and minicamp and he was trying to earn a spot in the league after coming back from what was thought to be a career-ending neck injury in 2005 while at Virginia."

That still holds up I think. The Jets then brought Lyles back on July 31 when they released LB Jerry Mackey. Mike from Manhattan, I expect to hear from you about this.

Speaking of Jets fans (just an awful transition there, I know. We'll move on from this I hope), you guys were called out today by Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, which is always a must-read.

"I think I don't want to hear what great fans the Jets have. Not for a long time. That crowd Saturday night was a disgrace. At least half the stadium was empty for Favre's debut in a Jets' uniform. I expressed my amazement to a few fellow scribes Saturday night -- emphasizing that N.Y. traded for an all-time-great quarterback, not a broken-down one -- and they gave varying reasons for the poor turnout. Like it's the middle of vacation month for New Yorkers, and it's a preseason game. Horsefeathers. If you really love your team, and you have season tickets, you should have been at that game unless you were in Tibet. Ridiculous."

Like anyone in this business should, I look up to and respect King immensely. But he's way off base here, as are the other media folks who have levied some criticism at fans for this issue. Other than Green Bay, there aren't many cities that have packed houses for preseason games. I'm from Cleveland - as SO many of you keep pointing out - which has a fairly rabid fan base to say the least. But when we covered the Jets there a week and a half ago, Cleveland Browns Stadium, at best, was half-full.

There are plenty of legit reasons not to have gone to the game Saturday - Favre was only going to play two series anyway; why pay for parking and food and other "extras" for a meaningless game that you shouldn't have had to pay full price for anyway; it's New York for crying out loud and there's a few other options for the socially inclined on a Saturday night - but whatever. Bottom line: those who don't have to pay - writers, broadcasters, radio hosts, etc, - to get into these games shouldn't judge the motives or the fan cred of the people who do have to pay.

With that, feel free to continue the rather odd discussion some of you have going on in the comments section of my previous post. Mr. Green T, you've retired the trophy. What for, I have no idea yet but I'll think of something.

Erik Boland: Inside the Jets

Breaking news, commentary and insider information on the New York Jets

August 18, 2008

Jets release Nate Lyles, and another thing

The Jets waived DB Nate Lyles this afternoon. This is what I wrote when they waived him July 22, just before camp:

"Proving once again how tough a business the NFL is, the Jets released safety Nate Lyles, originally signed as an undrafted rookie free agent on May 2. Lyles was one of the feel-good stories of the OTAs and minicamp and he was trying to earn a spot in the league after coming back from what was thought to be a career-ending neck injury in 2005 while at Virginia."

That still holds up I think. The Jets then brought Lyles back on July 31 when they released LB Jerry Mackey. Mike from Manhattan, I expect to hear from you about this.

Speaking of Jets fans (just an awful transition there, I know. We'll move on from this I hope), you guys were called out today by Peter King in his Monday Morning Quarterback column, which is always a must-read.

"I think I don't want to hear what great fans the Jets have. Not for a long time. That crowd Saturday night was a disgrace. At least half the stadium was empty for Favre's debut in a Jets' uniform. I expressed my amazement to a few fellow scribes Saturday night -- emphasizing that N.Y. traded for an all-time-great quarterback, not a broken-down one -- and they gave varying reasons for the poor turnout. Like it's the middle of vacation month for New Yorkers, and it's a preseason game. Horsefeathers. If you really love your team, and you have season tickets, you should have been at that game unless you were in Tibet. Ridiculous."

Like anyone in this business should, I look up to and respect King immensely. But he's way off base here, as are the other media folks who have levied some criticism at fans for this issue.

Other than Green Bay, there aren't many cities that have packed houses for preseason games. I'm from Cleveland - as SO many of you keep pointing out - which has a fairly rabid fan base to say the least. But when we covered the Jets there a week and a half ago, Cleveland Browns Stadium, at best, was half-full.

There are plenty of legit reasons not to have gone to the game Saturday - Favre was only going to play two series anyway; why pay for parking and food and other "extras" for a meaningless game that you shouldn't have had to pay full price for anyway; it's New York for crying out loud and there's a few other options for the socially inclined on a Saturday night - but whatever.

Bottom line: those who don't have to pay - writers, broadcasters, radio hosts, etc, - to get into these games shouldn't judge the motives or the fan cred of the people who do have to pay.

With that, feel free to continue the rather odd discussion some of you have going on in the comments section of my previous post. Mr. Green T, you've retired the trophy. What for, I have no idea yet but I'll think of something.

The tickets and parking are part of the season ticket package. Why not show up?

Erik Boland gets it. POTW for him, we (Jets fans) get blasted for everything. Screw Peter King, seriously, the Jets just got Favre. People make plans.

King is way off base with this commentary. I loved how Boland pointed out that King goes for free. People that go for free shouldn't lecture me. When they do they come off sounding like pompous a$$holes.

Tool of the month award to Peter King. It's not as if everyone lives right by the Meadowlands either, for many it's a pretty good schlepp to get there, especially for a meaningless game.

And while technically the game was Favre's "debut" as a Jet, his real debut will be on September 7th and his home debut will be on the 14th.

I really don't regret not going to the game one bit, yea it was cool to see Favre but he threw all of 6 passes. I'll go to the games when they count.

Archived