Anyone ever work/live in Orlando? What's it like?

LoneStarLady

Hi all-

I was laid off from my job earlier this year when a competitor bought the company and then let go many top managers. I've been looking for a job but there's not much for what I do in Austin. I have a lead for a potential position but it's based in Orlando. I've never lived in Florida. Do any of you know what working/living in Orlando is like? I know about Disney et al but I'm not interested in tourist sites, just what the living and working conditions are like. It's just my husband and me - no kids and of "baby boomer" age. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

-LSL

Hi all-

I was laid off from my job earlier this year when a competitor bought the company and then let go many top managers. I've been looking for a job but there's not much for what I do in Austin. I have a lead for a potential position but it's based in Orlando. I've never lived in Florida. Do any of you know what working/living in Orlando is like? I know about Disney et al but I'm not interested in tourist sites, just what the living and working conditions are like. It's just my husband and me - no kids and of "baby boomer" age. Thanks in advance for any information you can give me.

-LSL

I've never lived in Orlando, but my girlfriend does and I've visited numerous times when I was in college and had friends going to school at UCF or Valencia. It is a beautiful city, very well maintained downtown. The city's metropolitan area is enormous, beyond just the city itself. I'd say not a bad spot to work if you'll be moving there.

I've never lived in Orlando, but my girlfriend does and I've visited numerous times when I was in college and had friends going to school at UCF or Valencia. It is a beautiful city, very well maintained downtown. The city's metropolitan area is enormous, beyond just the city itself. I'd say not a bad spot to work if you'll be moving there.

Thanks.

I don't know if we'll be moving there. I'm just talking to a company right now. But I wanted to get some background info in case they offer me a job, which I think they might do.

I've never lived there, but if you like traffic and stupid people on vacation with lousy accents then its a great place.

Plus 10-20 min outside of town there is lots of open land if you dont like people all the time.

Well, I lived in Stoneham for a long time, and it had lots of I-93/128 traffic and bad accents - though no one vacationed there. :)

And talk about stupid - they didn't even know how to pronounce the name of the town. A poll showed half said "stone-ham" and half said "stone-um." Duh!

But I've gotten used to driving where there's not much traffic, compared to the northeast, except on the interstates and a low cost of living. I just moved to TX three years ago so I'm not sure I want to move again. Just trying to gather info.

Well, I lived in Stoneham for a long time, and it had lots of I-93/128 traffic and bad accents - though no one vacationed there. :)

And talk about stupid - they didn't even know how to pronounce the name of the town. A poll showed half said "stone-ham" and half said "stone-um." Duh!

But I've gotten used to driving where there's not much traffic, compared to the northeast, except on the interstates and a low cost of living. I just moved to TX three years ago so I'm not sure I want to move again. Just trying to gather info.

Thats why New England sucks. They cant even agree if its ham or um. Some towns are ham, so um.... Maybe just the jewish towns are um and the non-jewish towns are ham.

:)

Moving sucks. But if its a good job with a nice future.... too bad life cant just tell us if we are making a good or bad decision....

Thanks, everyone, for the responses.

It's been a sucky year, beginning with the layoff. The company recruited me and relocated us to Texas. Then less than 3 years later, my "position is eliminated" when they sold out to another company. Oh well, that's life. I'm doing freelance contract work from home, so we're okay but I would prefer a staff position with benefits. I'm sure something will come up. Thanks again.

It's been a sucky year, beginning with the layoff. The company recruited me and relocated us to Texas. Then less than 3 years later, my "position is eliminated" when they sold out to another company. Oh well, that's life. I'm doing freelance contract work from home, so we're okay but I would prefer a staff position with benefits. I'm sure something will come up. Thanks again.

Again, sorry to hear of your plight. My wife and I went through a similar situation a few years ago. It's no fun, is it? The corporate model is just a colossal failure. When they want to cut costs or better the profit margin, they think nothing of jettisoning the very people that make up the core of the structure. The folks on top, whether they are competent or not, always make out. Here's hoping there are better days are ahead for you.

Good luck LSL

you deserve it!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived