computer help needed

joewilly

my daughter starts college & needs a laptop. I am clueless & don't live in the real world.

I have to walk in a store & pick one up( while in tampa) along with a wireless router for internet access ( i assume she can gat it free off one of the neighbors in the complex shes in)

discuss :lol:

depends on how much cash you have.

if cash no problem get a IBM.

best service, immediate if a problem. comes in handy for school computers.

also most solidly built,,, is it a bit overpriced, ya, but its worth it it in long run.

T series is good for school,, T43, T42,,,

Joe...

The best name for laptops is IBM. It really depends on what you want to spend. If you love your daughter and want to give her the best then IBM is the way to go.

You can save money with a Dell. (If you don't love her that much).

Let me know what you think and I can give you some links.

Oh and if she is accessing someone else's wireless connection she won't need a router. She will just need a wifi card. Which is built in, in most cases.

I don't understand why GG would recommend an Ibook. Hers died weeks ago, for at least the second time.

Check the sales at Comp USA, Best Buy, Circuit City and Staples.

I recently bought a HP at Circuit City for $650, after rebates. It's got built-in wi-fi, 60 gig HD, 512k RAM and a DVD burner. The chip is an AMD Sempron 2800. Some people will tell you to stay with Intel chips, but those are people who like to spend money needlessly.

You can get great deals if you shop.

thanks gg but I got the kids an imac cause they loved the one I have at the office but it didn't seem to suit their needs so I got em a gateway.

no problem jw ;) i understand..i love mine :mrgreen:

<note: i am ignoring you Bob ;) > :lol:

thanks max & sj

I guess my love for her is somewhere between a dell & an ibm max :shock:

I'll go with ibm cause I don't wanna mail order the dell. any otheoptions?

comp usa? circuit city? best buy? will a store clerk be knowledgeable enough to help me out?

perhaps a link would be helpful max if you get a chance. (thanks) should I email tomshane for a 2nd opinion

is it true that if someone nearby has an internet connection the laptop will work with a wi-fi?

If someone nearby has wireless internet, and it's not encrypted, it will work.

A lot of campuses have wi-fi in their buildings. You might check that out.

I hear ya, JW. I'm four years away from that, myself, then two more years to the next one.

The college's website might tell you if their dorms are wi-fi equipped. It would not surprise me if the entire campus were a hot spot.

I don't understand why GG would recommend an Ibook. Hers died weeks ago, for at least the second time.

Check the sales at Comp USA, Best Buy, Circuit City and Staples.

I recently bought a HP at Circuit City for $650, after rebates. It's got built-in wi-fi, 60 gig HD, 512k RAM and a DVD burner. The chip is an AMD Sempron 2800. Some people will tell you to stay with Intel chips, but those are people who like to spend money needlessly.

You can get great deals if you shop.

this is too funny. remember last year when you wanted pc advide and i told u that desktops were for the birds and get a wireless and enjoy talking to me on your deck and you said:

"the merits of a laptop are not lost on me but i need power blah blah"

whats up with that?

If someone nearby has wireless internet, and it's not encrypted, it will work.

A lot of campuses have wi-fi in their buildings. You might check that out.

if joewilly kid goes to usf tampa, then im almost positive everything is wifi. at usf st pete it is, so you just sit down at a bench along the bay, watch sailboats and visit the greatest jets site ever create JI.COM

:wink:

Joe...

If you go to Staples, Best Buy etc you run the risk of paying more $$$. And they may know what they are talking about but that is a crap shoot as well. I always mail order this stuff.

Like I said earlier you can do better price wise but IBM makes the best laptop. That being said if the price difference is huge I might go in another direction myself (I have a Dell laptop and have have problems with it. Mostly caused by a two year old but that is another story).

Try this link for the current IBM special offers:

http://www-131.ibm.com/content/home/store_LNV_PublicUSA/en_US/special_offers/ThinkPad_Notebooks.html

Here are a few thoughts...don't want to overload you with info.

-Pentium Chip is better than a Celeron.

-256 MB Ram is the minimum (512 would be a nice bonus)

-Next to the Hard Drive size you will see RPM. This is basically the speed and many people don't even think about it which is a mistake. The higher the RPM the faster the drive. I would go with a smaller drive (40 gig or so) if I could get a faster drive as a result. 5,400 is the lowest I would go here. 7,200 if you can.

I realize this is all information overload. If you have a model you want either put it here or PM it to me and I will take a look at it. Price is the ultimate factor!

iBook.

IBM does not make laptops anymore (outsourced).

iBook + OSX = no virii, no pop ups, no problems

BZ

its the same,, IBM is Lenovo, the machines have both names on them,,same people same manufacturing,,,

its still a IBM,,at least for a few years

this is too funny. remember last year when you wanted pc advide and i told u that desktops were for the birds and get a wireless and enjoy talking to me on your deck and you said:

"the merits of a laptop are not lost on me but i need power blah blah"

whats up with that?

I don't remember that at all, Dickie. Hell, I can go out to the deck now if it means that much to you.

Just let me crack a beer first.

Same crappy OS (XP) same crappy hole ridden browser (IE) same problems.

Buy a mac.

:)

BZ

BZ...i have tried... they wont listen ;)...although jw adressed it in the beginning of the thread... tough for the others :D I love my iBook ;)

Same crappy OS (XP) same crappy hole ridden browser (IE) same problems.

Buy a mac.

:)

BZ

ha, silly

mac is great for what it does, but a kid at school will be better off with most common denominator.

who says use IE? is there a gun to your head?

ha, silly

mac is great for what it does, but a kid at school will be better off with most common denominator.

who says use IE? is there a gun to your head?

Great for what it does, which is everything. The reason a kid in college would want a Mac is because it has very good roaming capability, is very low maintanence and "just works".

BZ

If JW had bought a Mac on Monday, he'd have had to replace the logic board by now.

Right, GG?

But at least the machine would freeze up for no apparent reason when the logic board was "working."

I'm saddled with a Mac at work. They're crap.

If JW had bought a Mac on Monday, he'd have had to replace the logic board by now.

Right, GG?

But at least the machine would freeze up for no apparent reason when the logic board was "working."

I'm saddled with a Mac at work. They're crap.

i think that machine was just a fluke...i have NEVER had problems with mac's before that one... going bact to an old Apple IIe

Archived