Hey, chowds! I need your advice.

Bob

My wife and I will be in the greater Boston area next month for a few days. We have a conference in Braintree.

We've got some time for touristy stuff, and I'm looking for recommendations. We want to do a whale watch and I see three that leave right from Boston Harbor. Anybody have experience or preferences?

Also, we want to tour the city. Garb suggested the duckboats, but it looks like you're stuck on the duck for the whole tour. The old town trolley, on the other hand, lets you get off at the attractions and catch another trolley later. Again, I'd appreciate your advice.

I thought about going to Fenway to see Sox vs. As, but it's sold out. As much as I'd like to see a game in your diapidated, but historic, little ballpark, I'm not going to pay scalper prices.

Anything else I should be looking at? Your advice is appreciated.

Duck boats are better - trust me, or don't... :wink:

You can scalp tickets for a relatively "decent" price come the second inning around Fenway Park. However, being there can be just as much fun. I've been to Yankee Stadium - Festivities around Fenway "Pahk" kicks the bronx's ass by a huge margin. However, the seating at Yankee Stadium is far better than Fenway. Sure, it's nice and cozy and people that weigh less than 150 should be pretty comfortable. The majority of folks - nah!!! Stay away from a seat in the middle of the Grandstands. Those rows can be 50 seats long. Bathroom visits can be difficult - you know, saying "excuse me" twenty-five times as you step on peoples feet!

There are a plethora of boat tours, whale watches and ferries to the Boston Harbor Islands and P-town by the Marriott Long Warf on Commercial Street. Don't laugh - if your wife likes to shop really cool, interesting places, P-town is the place. The people watching is a grade-A hoot.

Take a stroll down Boylston Street down towards the theater district. Some amazing architecture. Walk down Newbuyry street and dine El Fresco. Check out the Sam Adams brewery in South Boston. Good Italian eats in the North End. Have a drink at the Top of the Hub - your wife will love it. If theater is your thing - there is a fanatstic interactive act called Sheer Madness. I strongly urge you to have some oysters and a cup of the best clam "chowdah" in the world at the Union Oyster House right on the outskirts of Fanueil Hall.

You could always take a tour of Fenway before the game - you actually get to go inside the Green Monster and see where Manny pees. :lol:

Garb is your best bet for what to do, what to avoid. She is very honest.

Depending on when you are in town will determine how expensive scalper tickets will be. I'd suggest trying to get some to a game (as baeball is heating up nicely) and if it looks to be too expensive either watch the game close by or jump on the T at Kenmore and do somethig else (show, movie, nice meal, whatever) your night won't be ruined by trying to solely doing a Sox game. But if you have not been at Fenway for a few years, check it out. The changes are for the better. Sure it is still small in comparison to yankee seats, but the volume of history and passion is way greater.

Duck boats are better - trust me, or don't... :wink:

What about being stuck on the duck? What if you want to get out and see things? Seriously, why are the ducks better?

You can scalp tickets for a relatively "decent" price come the second inning around Fenway Park. However, being there can be just as much fun. I've been to Yankee Stadium - Festivities around Fenway "Pahk" kicks the bronx's a$$ by a huge margin.

Probably true. We actually have room for everybody to get inside the ballpark. We don't need the carnival outside. Seriously - If we were to stand outside for a couple innings, what kind of prices are we talking?

There are a plethora of boat tours, whale watches and ferries to the Boston Harbor Islands and P-town by the Marriott Long Warf on Commercial Street. Don't laugh - if your wife likes to shop really cool, interesting places, P-town is the place. The people watching is a grade-A hoot.

My wife is not a big shopper, thankfully! We'll find a whale watch boat. Recommendations are still appreciated, though.

Take a stroll down Boylston Street down towards the theater district. Some amazing architecture. Walk down Newbuyry street and dine El Fresco. Check out the Sam Adams brewery in South Boston. Good Italian eats in the North End. Have a drink at the Top of the Hub - your wife will love it. If theater is your thing - there is a fanatstic interactive act called Sheer Madness. I strongly urge you to have some oysters and a cup of the best clam "chowdah" in the world at the Union Oyster House right on the outskirts of Fanueil Hall.

Theater sucks. Seafood makes me puke and my wife hates it, too. Sam Adams is a great idea. Thanks.

You could always take a tour of Fenway before the game - you actually get to go inside the Green Monster and see where Manny pees. :lol:

That is a distict possibility. Not the same as a game, but it would be cool to see the park - Manny puddle or no.

Thanks, 'Banza.

We want to do a whale watch and I see three that leave right from Boston Harbor. Anybody have experience or preferences?

Bob, Garb gave you the best advice for visiting Boston.

I can comment on the whale watching tours.

I have taken 2 trips from Boston and one from Provincetown and NEVER saw a whale.

Much better things to do in Boston then whale watching.

I know Garb kinda stole my thunder,

but Bob, with your big gay mustache, you'd fit right in in P-town.

-Duckboats are cool I guess, for the lilly-white old codger crowd!

-walking the Freedom Trail is totally worthwhile. But its so typically touristy that you might as well catch a lame Blue Man show when you get back.

-Shooting pool at Jillian's is always great times.

-Down Under at Copperfield's tends to attract the randy, bohemian college girls...not that Bob asked for that, just throwing it out there for public consumption.

-Now that hockey is back...The Penalty Box is great after a B's game...and IMO great year-round.

-Davio's has the best Italian food in the city.

-BTW...the Top of the Hub has the best view of Boston and if you head it south into Quincy, there are tons of laid back waterfront cafes where I used to frequent regularly.

nope ...toooooo easy...:lol: consider it your lucky day Tx... i am feeling kind

Come on gg, I threw that out there hook line and sinker to see what response I would get.

BTW, doesn't Gameface eat up the P-Town jokes?

Where has he been? :shock:

Anyway, if folks have never caught the Transvestite parade down Commercial Street in P-Town, they have no idea the entertainment that they are missing. :wink:

You just can't pay for that kind of entertainment.

Anyway, if folks have never caught the Transvestite parade down Commercial Street in P-Town, they have no idea the entertainment that they are missing. :wink:

You just can't pay for that kind of entertainment.

how many years have you been the grand marshall of the parade ;)i am sure you have some great stores... wonder if there are any pictures anywhere? :lol:

Bob - JBF is a little "off" :lol:

Jillians is called Lucky Strike now - or something like that.

Davios does NOT have the best Italian in town. I enjoy Pagliuica's and Massamino's.

The waterfront area in Qunicy is called Marina Bay. It is very, very nice with plenty of eating and drinking establishments and a grand view of the marina. Excellent Ice Cream joint there - although the name escapes me. If you care to look at scantily dressed College Girls - stand by "Water Works" at Marina Bay. Also, Willie McGinest, Daniel Graham and David Givens live at Marina Bay. Tom Brady used to....just in case you were hankering for a little Patsie news.... :lol:

Oh, and I think the Duck Boats are better because 1) I've heard better things about them - I've actually never been on any of these trolley tour things. I am a Bostonian - doing that is - well, it would be lame for me!! :lol: 2) You get to experience the duckbopat becoming an actual boat as it plunges into the Charles River and it sail down the CR a little ways - Cambride on one side, Boston on the other.

Archived