Michigan Basketball

PS: Duke sucks.

So does UCLA. But congrats to Michigan... Nobody expected this out of them. Hell, Duke and UCLA probably scheduled them as a "cupcake" game.

With OSU's win over ND yesterday as well, thats two more Big 10 teams that should crack the top 25 in next weeks polls. Big East not lookin' too hot right now.

With OSU's win over ND yesterday as well, thats two more Big 10 teams that should crack the top 25 in next weeks polls. Big East not lookin' too hot right now.

Nah. What are you talking about? We had 8 schools in the last AP poll and nobody was upset except for Notre Dame! Notre Dame isn't going to fall out of the polls either!

I don't know what you are smoking dude, because the Big East is still the nation's best College Basketball conference.

Congrats to the Big 10, but the Big East is still #1.

Nah. What are you talking about? We had 8 schools in the last AP poll and nobody was upset except for Notre Dame! Notre Dame isn't going to fall out of the polls either!

I don't know what you are smoking dude, because the Big East is still the nation's best College Basketball conference.

gangreen is right,,BE not on top right now..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0809.htm

Rankings mean crap.

The past two weeks:

ND lost to UNC and OSU

L'Ville lost to Wichita State

Marquette has dropped 2 or 3 games

Uconn almost upset by UB

Providence lost to Baylor

Not a very impressive resume for a conference thats supposed to be head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAA this year... The only impressive wins for the BE the past 2 weeks have been SU over Florida and Kansas, and ND over Texas. Cant think of another BE team that beat a team that was ranked higher than them.

gangreen is right,,BE not on top right now..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkc0809.htm

Strength of schedule is meaningless this early in the season. Once actual Big East games start happening, that ranking will change.

Besides, averages like Sagarin's conference average, lie. USF is horrible, and they drag the conference average down, but they are an outlier. Villanova is ranked in the teens, and while that puts us comfortably in the top 1/3 of the conference, there are maybe 3 teams in the Big East that I would be surprised that we lost to.

Rankings mean crap.

The past two weeks:

ND lost to UNC and OSU

L'Ville lost to Wichita State

Marquette has dropped 2 or 3 games

Uconn almost upset by UB

Providence lost to Baylor

Not a very impressive resume for a conference thats supposed to be head and shoulders above the rest of the NCAA this year... The only impressive wins for the BE the past 2 weeks have been SU over Florida and Kansas, and ND over Texas. Cant think of another BE team that beat a team that was ranked higher than them.

Wait, so you're faulting ND for losing to a team that is widely considered the #1 team in the sport? ND has one bad loss to OSU. Wichita State isn't a bad team, they played tough against Georgetown too. UConn wasn't upset... almost doesn't count.

Listen, the entire Big East can't go undefeated... there are 16 teams, and any one of them can beat pretty much anyone out there on a given night (except USF, they blow).

Wait, so you're faulting ND for losing to a team that is widely considered the #1 team in the sport? ND has one bad loss to OSU. Wichita State isn't a bad team, they played tough against Georgetown too. UConn wasn't upset... almost doesn't count.

Listen, the entire Big East can't go undefeated... there are 16 teams, and any one of them can beat pretty much anyone out there on a given night (except USF, they blow).

I agree with you. I simply said theyre not too hot RIGHT NOW. The fact that they've had a bad week doesn't mean they're not a great conference anymore.

I agree with you. I simply said theyre not too hot RIGHT NOW. The fact that they've had a bad week doesn't mean they're not a great conference anymore.

Fair enough. This wasn't the best week for the BE. I'll concede that, I guess.

SU up to 13 in the AP polls.

Surprised to see no Michigan, two victories over two top 10 ranked teams the past few weeks and still no ranking? Have they even lost a game yet??

Anyway, the Big East now has 6 teams in the AP top 15, 8 in the top 25, and thats after a fairly rough week for the conference. No question they are the most loaded conference in the nation this year.

Michigan beats UCLA and Duke, two Top 5 teams at the time they played them and we're still in the Top 25? Are you ****ing kidding me? What else do they have to do to get respect? Beat Gonzaga and North Carolina?

I guess losing @ Maryland and barely beating Savvanah State killed us because I think going 1-1 against Duke and 1-0 against UCLA, for Michigan, is one hell of an accomplishment.

6-2 overall.

Michigan beats UCLA and Duke, two Top 5 teams at the time they played them and we're still in the Top 25? Are you ****ing kidding me? What else do they have to do to get respect? Beat Gonzaga and North Carolina?

I guess losing @ Maryland and barely beating Savvanah State killed us because I think going 1-1 against Duke and 1-0 against UCLA, for Michigan, is one hell of an accomplishment.

6-2 overall.

They may yet make the poll, they just need to play consistently well for a couple weeks.

SU up to 13 in the AP polls.

Surprised to see no Michigan, two victories over two top 10 ranked teams the past few weeks and still no ranking? Have they even lost a game yet??

Anyway, the Big East now has 6 teams in the AP top 15, 8 in the top 25, and thats after a fairly rough week for the conference. No question they are the most loaded conference in the nation this year.

How is Marquette still ranked? The BE is the best this year but it's overrated. I expected it would be alot better but the BE teams have struggled so far in non conf w/ ND getting beat up, UConn struggling w/ Buffalo, Louisville losing to Western KY, ... I expected they'd be alot better.

How is Marquette still ranked? The BE is the best this year but it's overrated. I expected it would be alot better but the BE teams have struggled so far in non conf w/ ND getting beat up, UConn struggling w/ Buffalo, Louisville losing to Western KY, ... I expected they'd be alot better.

After all that the BE has the #2 and #3 ranked teams in the nation, and six teams in the top 15. Sure, Uconn almost lost a big one to UB, and L'ville certainly had a pretty bad slip up against Western Ky. But then again you look at some of the surprises so far in Syracuse (13), who is 8-0, and 'Nova (15), who is also undefeated, and it sort of balances things out. Teams like GTown (19) and Marquette (24) (who only lost once and upset a good Wisco team last week) are right about where people expected them to be.

I think the conference definitely had an off week, but its still the best conference, and its not really close.

124, do you go to Michigan?

Heh. No.

Was born in Detroit and even though I only spent a couple weeks there that of course I cannot remember, come team selecting time when I was like 4, 5 years old, everyone thought it was a good idea to give me a team in Michigan and since nobody really knew Rutgers was a D1 program, the Michigan Wolverines were my NCAA team.

6-2 overall.

agree, BUT, silver lining is in ESPN/USA they went from ZERO votes to #31, and in AP they went from #33 with 18 votes to #28 with 119 votes,,big moves up in each poll,,one step at a time :D

After all that the BE has the #2 and #3 ranked teams in the nation, and six teams in the top 15. Sure, Uconn almost lost a big one to UB, and L'ville certainly had a pretty bad slip up against Western Ky. But then again you look at some of the surprises so far in Syracuse (13), who is 8-0, and 'Nova (15), who is also undefeated, and it sort of balances things out. Teams like GTown (19) and Marquette (24) (who only lost once and upset a good Wisco team last week) are right about where people expected them to be.

I think the conference definitely had an off week, but its still the best conference, and its not really close.

SU has been good but they haven't beaten anybody. KU and UF are big names but not really that good this year(UF just lost to FSU) BUT the sched is alot tougher than usual for SU.

Pitt hasn't played a good team.

UConn struggled w/ Buffalo.

Louisville lost to WK.

Marquette lost to dayton and hasn't beaten anybody

Villanova gets their first test tonight

GU lost by double digits to the only decent team they played

ND got hammered by the Heels(that's ok) but lost to Ohio State.

I am not impressed right now. They have mroe good teams but they should b/c thye have more total teams. I expected the BE to dominate and it hasn't done so.

SU has been good but they haven't beaten anybody. KU and UF are big names but not really that good this year(UF just lost to FSU) BUT the sched is alot tougher than usual for SU.

Pitt hasn't played a good team.

UConn struggled w/ Buffalo.

Louisville lost to WK.

Marquette lost to dayton and hasn't beaten anybody

Villanova gets their first test tonight

GU lost by double digits to the only decent team they played

ND got hammered by the Heels(that's ok) but lost to Ohio State.

I am not impressed right now. They have mroe good teams but they should b/c thye have more total teams. I expected the BE to dominate and it hasn't done so.

I agree, its been a bad week.

Oh, and both Kansas and UF were top 25 teams when SU played them, and Kansas still is. SU also beat UVA (I know nothing special), and have Cleveland State (a decent mid-mjr) and @ Memphis coming up next week. And thats before BE play starts.

I agree, its been a bad week.

Oh, and both Kansas and UF were top 25 teams when SU played them, and Kansas still is. SU also beat UVA (I know nothing special), and have Cleveland State (a decent mid-mjr) and @ Memphis coming up next week. And thats before BE play starts.

They struggled to beat UVa and Kansas is ranked b/c of what they did last year and how good they normally are. KU hans't beaten anybody yet.

They struggled to beat UVa and Kansas is ranked b/c of what they did last year and how good they normally are. KU hans't beaten anybody yet.

The rankings are a prediction of this year. The most games teams have played up to this point in the season is 9. How many "somebody's" do you expect these teams to play. Once again, the rankings are pretty much still a prediction at this point in the season. We will know a lot more by mid February where all these teams stand.

The rankings are a prediction of this year. The most games teams have played up to this point in the season is 9. How many "somebody's" do you expect these teams to play. Once again, the rankings are pretty much still a prediction at this point in the season. We will know a lot more by mid February where all these teams stand.

That's the problem. You can't lose all the marquee non-conf games then beat up on the weak half of the BE and proclaim the BE the best. The BE had 2 chances at the garden last night but couldn't win either.

The BE was close in both games. Both Big East teams that lost were beaten by higher-ranked opponents, as well.

Villanova could've defeated Davidson.

They played on a BE home floor and had that edge in both games. neither team played a team they couldn't beat and neither won. Those aren't bad losses BUT when the confernce is supposed to be so great ti doesn't reflect in losses like those.

I was at the Duke/Michigan game, and it was great. Was back and forth, and a thrill to see live. As a UNC faithful, there was nothing better than seeing Duke lose live, especially after seeing UNC win live, two days before. Duke is 0-2 with me in attendance, first their loss to VCU in the tourney in Buffalo, and now this.

I should get season tickets, and hope they lose every game.

Archived