An Open Letter - Let it be known

The Paranoid Jet

Dear Jets players,

You may have doomed yourselves today. You were on the plane to San Fransisco and you were proud of yourselves and all you have accomplished. You have had a great season so far but this is the NFL. One week off can bury you. Look at where you are now and know that everything you have accomplished so far may be for nothing because of the show you put on today.

The playoffs begin now. You must win every game. That's not me speaking with the analysis of a fan but rather as an observer who can read and understand league standings. Think of it as a seven game playoff that begins today. Win seven straight games and you get a ring. Lose any of the next seven and you're the same group of losers that started the season. This is your choice.

Dear Jets coaches,

The defense is broken. It is your job to fix it. You have some superstar players and the performance is unacceptable; this is what you have been hired to do and so far you have not accomplished your objectives.

The pass rush must be supplanted by the blitz. There is no choice. There is no other option. If that leaves receivers open so be it, but a scrub carved us up today because we couldn't consistently put pressure on him. Any NFL quarterback can hurt you if he is able to stand in the pocket and deliver the football. Blitz with Rhodes. Send zone attacks. I don't care. Try it. If it doesn't get home we will be hurt, but we're doomed if we don't.

Dear Jets fans,

I don't doubt your fandom, but the pressure that you place upon this team is crushing. Maybe it has something to do with a New York image that you're trying to cultivate, but you never, ever let up on your team. I agree. We have disappointing or even shameful weeks. This was one of them. But nobody will listen to you when you complain about weeks like this when you also complain about weeks like the one we had against Tennessee or the time we played New England at Foxboro. On the flip side of the coin, however, you are also far too high before such a reaction is justified, which only further fuels your rage when things go wrong. No team has a greater contingent of fans ready to assign offseason championships than the Jets.

Even if you submit that professional athletes and coaches should be able to put up with your endless bile, you're still putting yourself through undue stress week in and week out by constantly being pessimistic. I've been a Jets fan for as long as I've been alive, which means I've seen more than some of you. At some level, you have to put aside your memories of the past and just be hopeful and postive. You gotta believe. Even Philly could get behind that.

Dear Ed Hochuli,

You're popular because you've done a phenominal job marketing yourself. It's a gimmick that you're big and built, and you know that. Almost every game that your crew officiates is terribly called. You have caused teams to lose in the past because of your negligent ineptitude. Sometimes you manage to bungle the game so completely that both teams are hurt by your incompetence, but today your calls were one-sided and the Jets, who were rusty and underprepared, were crushed beneath them. You are more concerned with people knowing your name than being good at your job. It is possible that the incompetence belongs to your crew rather than to yourself, but you are the captain and this is your responsibility in the end.

Dear Eric Mangini,

The choice is yours. Win seven in a row and you will have proven yourself to everyone. Lose in the next three and you will have blown it. Fair or not, this is on your shoulders.

I like the part about the fans--we do need to chill out a bit--but don't you negate that by basically telling Mangini he's a failure if he doesn't win the Super Bowl?

Change that to "division title" and I'm with you 100%...I never thought this was a Super Bowl team, but with this roster a division title is a must.

I like the part about the fans--we do need to chill out a bit--but don't you negate that by basically telling Mangini he's a failure if he doesn't win the Super Bowl?

Change that to "division title" and I'm with you 100%...I never thought this was a Super Bowl team, but with this roster a division title is a must.

Precisely the point - he's not ever an objective failure or an objective success, but that will be how he will be perceived by the media and by the fanbase.

Additionally, I don't think if he makes it to the playoffs and wins a game or to he will be viewed (or should be viewed) as a loser. But he will be if he takes a team that was 8-3 two weeks ago and manages to miss out.

Precisely the point - he's not ever an objective failure or an objective success, but that will be how he will be perceived by the media and by the fanbase.

Additionally, I don't think if he makes it to the playoffs and wins a game or to he will be viewed (or should be viewed) as a loser. But he will be if he takes a team that was 8-3 two weeks ago and manages to miss out.

Well said.

After beating NE and Tennessee back to back, I think this season is a failure if the Jets don't win the division...if they miss the playoffs, forget it--they need to clean house.

You comments re Ed Hochuli are slanderous. I know him and he's a good man. Blame the calls on Mangini and his ineptitude at preparing the defense today

I'm sorry to insult a friend. I know it hurts to hear sometimes, but the fact is that he and his crew have bungled many games including several this year.

He may be a very nice person and a good friend, but I have seen him miss key calls in several games. I speak from an unbiased perspective as well - I do not blame him for the loss today, but I do blame him for things that have occurred in the past that were poor examples of officiating.

You comments re Ed Hochuli are slanderous. I know him and he's a good man. Blame the calls on Mangini and his ineptitude at preparing the defense today
The holding calls on Jenkins and the runback were beyond ludicrous. The disparity-14-3 in favor of the Niners-was totally unjustified. It was disgraceful. Hochuli is a joke, and he has no integrity to defend in the first place.Truth hurts. Tough titties. He should go back to being a loudmouth lawyer fulltime.

Safe to say that the only way your buddy gets to a playoff game this season is if he buys a ticket. He and his crew have been a horror show this year.

Archived