K-Rod jumps right into Mets-Phillies rivalry

Lil Bit Special

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spmets1214,0,2952737.story

Francisco Rodriguez didn't even wait for his first save to jump into the war of words between the Mets and Phillies.

In a telephone news conference today, K-Rod's first interaction with the New York media, the Mets' new closer proclaimed his confidence in his new teammates.

"Of course we're going to be the frontrunner," Rodriguez told reporters. "Of course were going to be the team to beat.

"I don't want there to be a controversy. I don't want the other team to take it personally, or take it in a bad way. But I'm a really competitive guy. I like to win.

"If they ask me, "Who's going to be the ball club that will win the National League East, it'll be the Mets."

"Team to beat" has become a well-known phrase in the Mets-Phillies rivalry. Phillies shortstop Jimmy Rollins first used the words to describe his team prior to the 2007 season, and Rollins proceeded to win the National League Most Valuable Player award as his team lived up to that proclamation.

This past season, during spring training, the Mets' Carlos Beltran, usually soft-spoken, declared his club as the team to beat. The Mets couldn't quite make Beltran look good, giving up a mid-September divisional lead.

On Thursday, Phillies ace Cole Hamels upped the ante when, on an interview with WFAN, he referred to the Mets as "choke artists."

Rodriguez said that his velocity did drop in 2008, as many scouts and opponents observed, but that it happened because he was working in a new pitch, a changeup that proved effective. In 2009, he said, his velocity should return to the mid-90s now that he's more comfortable with the arm action needed to make his fastball and changeup look identical out of his hand.

Joba pumps his fist, points at opposing players and yells on the mound like an idiot every single appearance on the mound ? Why don't you go watch some ball games and shut your trap unless you know what you're talking about.

Joba has a long way to go to be in K-Rod's class.

Really ? That's funny, because some Mets fans have compared him to Mo. He coudn't carry his keyes to the car. Enjoy your fist pumping looney tune.

I don't know anyone that has compared K-Rod to Mo. Rivera is the best. K-Rod is a notch below. Joba has been great as a setup man, but he hasn't even pitched 2 seasons yet. He hasn't really earned anything. As far as the on mound antics, Joba probably don't point at the other team, he just does, his ballerina turns and twists after every K.

If you find that comparable to what Krod does on the mound, you haven't watched him much. Hopefully he gets a chance to hit one day so someone can drill one in his ear.

I've seen enough of K-Rod to know what he does, personally I don't pass judgment on how players celebrate. The big thing is, as long as they perform. In this case, I think you're being selective as far as criticizing K-Rod and its ok with Joba because he is not "that extreme". I am going to go out on a limb and say that K-rod has been in a lot more critical situations than Chamberlain has. Does that justify the antics, probably not, but like I said, I don't mind enthusiasm.

Enthusiasm ? Please....stupidity and lack of class is more like it. Every great pitcher has his moments on the mound where they show emotion. You wouldn't be human if you didn't. Your boy is just a plain ass on the mound. Fist pumping, yelling at opponents, pointing to the sky. This is baseball, not the WWF.

I've seen enough of K-Rod to know what he does, personally I don't pass judgment on how players celebrate. The big thing is, as long as they perform. In this case, I think you're being selective as far as criticizing K-Rod and its ok with Joba because he is not "that extreme". I am going to go out on a limb and say that K-rod has been in a lot more critical situations than Chamberlain has. Does that justify the antics, probably not, but like I said, I don't mind enthusiasm.

Wrong reason. It's OK with Joba because he wears pinstripes. :biggrin:

:rolleyes:

Yes KRod. Forget the fact that the Phillies are the defending World Champions. No, instead the "team to beat" will be the team who the last two seasons were knocked out of the playoffs, at home, against the Florida Marlins, on the last day of the season. Yes. They will certainly be the team to beat.

John Rocker in a Latino form maybe? Omar Minaya doesn't care. He's Latino, therefore he is awesome.

Archived