Interesting quote by Mike Tomlin

4HCrew

Being interviewed about his hiring... said when he came to Pittsburgh he realized the personnel of the team was made for the 3-4, so why change it. Why try to fit square pegs into round holes so he just kept the system and slightly modified. Unlike Mangini who basically came in and started force feeding his "system"

Being interviewed about his hiring... said when he came to Pittsburgh he realized the personnel of the team was made for the 3-4, so why change it. Why try to fit square pegs into round holes so he just kept the system and slightly modified. Unlike Mangini who basically came in and started force feeding his "system"

Did he say his best coaching "skill" is his yelling and screaming?

Remember, the Jets were a BAD team when Mangini came here with a BAD defense. You couldn't blame someone for wanting to change something.

Pittsburgh on the other hand was a GOOD defense. It was probably a prereq to get the job to not change much on D.

Did he say his best coaching "skill" is his yelling and screaming?

Remember, the Jets were a BAD team when Mangini came here with a BAD defense. You couldn't blame someone for wanting to change something.

Pittsburgh on the other hand was a GOOD defense. It was probably a prereq to get the job to not change much on D.

Whatever Tomlin is doing he's still had two winning seasons, and this one is quite impressive considering the difficulty of their schedule. But I will agree on the fact that Pitts was a solid D already prior to Tomlin, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As for Mangini.... Our D was good only for one season IMO with him and that was in '06. We had this crazy, unpredictable defense that was really inventive. Now we just seem plain vanilla to me.

Whatever Tomlin is doing he's still had two winning seasons, and this one is quite impressive considering the difficulty of their schedule. But I will agree on the fact that Pitts was a solid D already prior to Tomlin, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. As for Mangini.... Our D was good only for one season IMO with him and that was in '06. We had this crazy, unpredictable defense that was really inventive. Now we just seem plain vanilla to me.

Mike Tomlin is a good coach, but not a great one. He still makes some bonehead decisions.. But overall, he's done a good job.

Mike Tomlin is a good coach, but not a great one. He still makes some bonehead decisions.. But overall, he's done a good job.

I agree. The Steelers knack of pulling wins out of their arses is going to end shortly. Big Ben has been hit 1,245 times this season and that is going to take a toll in the playoffs.

Agreed, good coach. He's got lots of talent and he hasn't royally screwed it up. To me "great" coaches are those that can elevate the talent they have. Mangini to me feels like he does JUST enough... and the most irritating thing to me is the fact that he's yielding the same results with the same type of soft schedule, with far superior talent.

Agreed, good coach. He's got lots of talent and he hasn't royally screwed it up. To me "great" coaches are those that can elevate the talent they have. Mangini to me feels like he does JUST enough... and the most irritating thing to me is the fact that he's yielding the same results with the same type of soft schedule, with far superior talent.

Is Tomlin elevating the Steelers? I don't think so. The Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005. Cowher didn't say if he was coming or going in 2006 and the team suffered. Tomlin takes over in 2007 and goes 10-6 with a home playoff loss in the 1st round.

This year they are winning because of their defense. Dick LeBeau is the only constant. I wouldn't want Tomlin as my HC.

Is Tomlin elevating the Steelers? I don't think so. The Steelers won the Super Bowl in 2005. Cowher didn't say if he was coming or going in 2006 and the team suffered. Tomlin takes over in 2007 and goes 10-6 with a home playoff loss in the 1st round.

This year they are winning because of their defense. Dick LeBeau is the only constant. I wouldn't want Tomlin as my HC.

If I had the chance to take Tomlin as the head coach of my team I am going to take him. IMO he is a great coach and I love his intensity.

If I had the chance to take Tomlin as the head coach of my team I am going to take him. IMO he is a great coach and I love his intensity.

Great Coach? I disagree. He inherited a very good defense with an excellent D coordinator and has done nothing with the offense.

Great Coach? I disagree. He inherited a very good defense with an excellent D coordinator and has done nothing with the offense.

How do you know Tomlin isn't to credit for the defense? He coordinated the Vikings to the top when he was the DC there, and now the Steelers are just playing at an insane level. This is the best defense I've seen in pretty much the last decade, maybe more. They're #1 across the board, nobody has done that since...maybe 94 or something. They are scoring over 2 TDs a game on DEFENSE!

Tomlin is a very good coach, and could BECOME a great one. But he's only been on the job for 2 years. You don't become great in 2 years, I agree. But I think he has all the tools and has done a great job so far, and in 5 years or so you can look back and there's a chance you can say the guy is a great coach.

I disagree on the offense. Their schedule is just absolutely brutal. It pretty much just does not let up at all. They've been very clutch recently and have gotten points when needed. Can't ask for much more.

Bro no offense but let's see what that defense looks like when 72 year old Dick Lebeau retires. Pittsburgh wanted to hire Grimm if I remember correctly, even telling him he had the job.

For other reasons they brought Tomlin in. He has done a great job this year overall. But don't you think Pittsburgh fans are pissed at what that offense does each week? They are complaining about the OLine coach and the O Coordinator.

Just saying before we crown Tomlin please remember deciding not to change something is easier when it actually doesn't need to be changed (Pittsburgh's defense).

I agree except with the part about the offense part. Clearly this offense is worse under Tomlin. The guys he put in place are not as good as the guys they replaced (coaches).

That offense is in BAD shape. Ask a diehard Steelers fan how much confidence they have in that offense. The defense is incredible. As previously mentioned though, until Lebeau goes there is no way in hell Tomlin would change the scheme anyhow.

Bro no offense but let's see what that defense looks like when 72 year old Dick Lebeau retires. Pittsburgh wanted to hire Grimm if I remember correctly, even telling him he had the job.

For other reasons they brought Tomlin in. He has done a great job this year overall. But don't you think Pittsburgh fans are pissed at what that offense does each week? They are complaining about the OLine coach and the O Coordinator.

Just saying before we crown Tomlin please remember deciding not to change something is easier when it actually doesn't need to be changed (Pittsburgh's defense).

Funny do not see myself crowning anyone here just saying he had a different philosophy. As for Steeler fans complaining I would gladly take their record and team over the Jets. The O line problems could be due to poor personnel decisions and the running game suffered when Parker got hurt.

Funny do not see myself crowning anyone here just saying he had a different philosophy. As for Steeler fans complaining I would gladly take their record and team over the Jets. The O line problems could be due to poor personnel decisions and the running game suffered when Parker got hurt.

I just believe that the grass isn't always greener. On the outside some of our coaches look good as well. :)

The O Line isn't the best, Parker getting hurt but losing your 1st round pick for the year also hurts them. Bigger picture I think they need to do something similar to what the Jets did with Callahan and start rethinking their blocking schemes, etc. They are a mess right now in protection.

You are right though, the record they have is no joke. It is going to be hard to get through the postseason with how that offense is playing. And that is saying something because the def is lights out.

Did he also mentioned he had a team a year away from a Super Bowl win?

BZ

If anything Tomlin is smart.

He saw what was working and for the most part left it alone.

On the other hand you have Mangini who takes what had been a 4-3 and three years later is still trying to make a 3-4.

If you want you can even go back to Herm who took a vertical passing game and made it a horizontal, short game and took what had been a good 3-4 defense under Parcells and Groh and turned it into a 4-3 that had alot of problems at the start of each season (Minus 04 when Donnie was there).

Pittsburgh is my choice to win the AFC simply because the play great attacking physcial defense. I think they will beat Tennessee this week and probably next to Indy be the toughest out in the post season.

False.

In 2004, the Jets were ranked 5th in rushing defense.

The Jets also had the 7th overall defense and were tied for 2nd in points allowed.

Were you ever confident in a big spot that we'd stop the run?

I wasn't.

That 5th ranked rushing D was a product of teams passing more being behind. In a BIG SPOT, there was no stopping the run. Stats lie so much it's not funny.

Archived