Red Sox Attempted To Acquire Hanley Ramirez

MagicBizkit87

Red Sox Attempted To Acquire Hanley Ramirez By Tim Dierkes [December 29 at 9:38pm CST]

According to Jon Heyman and Tom Verducci of SI.com, "the Red Sox made a play to re-acquire Marlins superstar Hanley Ramirez after losing out to the rival Yankees for star free agent Mark Teixeira." The Marlins listened, but no agreement was reached and talks have ended. The Marlins coveted players such as Jacoby Ellsbury and Clay Buchholz, but they'd need to be bowled over to trade their young shortstop.

Ramirez, 25, is signed at a discount through the 2014 season.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/baseball/mlb/12/29/heyman.verducci.hanley.red.sox/index.html

Makes no sense for the Marlins at all. Especially for the incredibly overrated Ellsbury and someone who has yet to prove anything in Buchholz.

True.

It is all about $$$$$$.

I think Ramirez has two years left before striking it rich. If I am right, they have a little more bargaining power now when a team can keep him two years versus renting for one year.

Bucholz and Ellsbury are what the Marlins want. Young and they can retain them for a few seasons before trading if they pan out. Ellsbury is better then Maybin and Bucholz still has some upside.

Why?

A 25yo SS with power and hits for average would upgrade the offense over Lugo/Lowrie. Now, his defense......:confused:

Why would the Marlins do that? I know, the Marlins aren't an organization that pays for talent to win, but they're a very smart organization, they know what they're doing, and if they were to trade Hanley, they would demand Lester, and probably some more.

Why would the Marlins do that? I know, the Marlins aren't an organization that pays for talent to win, but they're a very smart organization, they know what they're doing, and if they were to trade Hanley, they would demand Lester, and probably some more.

I was wrong.

I did not realize they signed Ramirez to a 6yr-70million extension which goes into effect after next season. The Sox beat writer said the Marlins are unlikely to move him until 2012 when his base salary jumps significantly.

I was wrong.

I did not realize they signed Ramirez to a 6yr-70million extension which goes into effect after next season. The Sox beat writer said the Marlins are unlikely to move him until 2012 when his base salary jumps significantly.

By then Jeter will probably be either retired, or at another position if he still wants to play, so Boston would have some complany for trying to trade for Ramirez.

By then Jeter will probably be either retired, or at another position if he still wants to play, so Boston would have some complany for trying to trade for Ramirez.

Probably. Even more reason trying to steal him early.

Archived